OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Setup & Installation

ArcaOS - in place upgrade - version 5.0.4

(1/4) > >>

Paolo_Ricardo:
Never having done an in-place upgrade I decided to test it out on a Virtual Box VM of ArcaOS. I created a 'virtual' ISO of the downloaded upgrade which showed up as drive S: on my VM. I assume that I then have to do a selective install (because I couldn't find any way to boot from the virtual ISO.)

I go through the various options and get to 'Select the source drive and directory' , choose s:\os2image which takes me through various options and then does the update. Unfortunately I now have a screen resolution of 640 x 480 whereas before the upgrade my resolution was 1024 x 640.  When I go into System Setup and choose Screen there is only the one resolution shown (640 x 480) so I have clearly messed up the install. I'd appreciate some guidance here. Thanks

Dave Yeo:
You need an older install to upgrade. And to boot an ISO, you need to mount it as a CD/DVD, VBox should by default try to boot the DVD before the hard drive.
Once booted, the installer, after the license agreement, where it gives choices like simple install/scripted etc, should also give the option of upgrading an existing install. So basically you start out like you were going to do a full install, then choose upgrade in the installer. IIRC, it does it in 3 phases, 1st while running the installer, then a reboot, more updating, another reboot and more upgrading.
As I mentioned previously, good to have a backup just in case. While the upgrade process works pretty well, there's always a possibility that something unexpected might happen and even after a smooth upgrade, you may find your desktop icons need rearranging and things like %TMP% might have changed.
Try installing your previous version in VBox, then try updating it to get a feel.
BTW, what video driver are you using?

Paolo_Ricardo:
Dave
I have a backup of my ArcaOS VM so I can easily restore that. But the version I was trying to upgrade was the original of the backup.

>> And to boot an ISO, you need to mount it as a CD/DVD, VBox should by default try to boot the DVD before the hard drive.<<

Are you saying that I need to create a physical DVD ISO (rather than a 'virtual' ISO)?

>>BTW, what video driver are you using?<<
Looking at  Screen in System Setup of my original install it shows Panorama at 1024 x 640 resolution.

Dave Yeo:
It should be able to boot off the virtual DVD that you mounted. I don't use VBox much, I thought there was a setting for the machine to adjust the boot order in the control panel where you choose and start your various virtual machines or perhaps it's like real hardware where you set it in the BIOS or press F12 during POST and choose where to boot from. For me, it has always tried to boot from the DVD first.
As for your video, Selective install, which knows nothing about Panorama, likely installed the VGA driver. Selective install is really meant to be used with the original IBM installer and even then quickly broke as you updated/customized your machine. Not sure why it is still there, probably too hard to remove or due to the license. Stay away from it.

Paolo_Ricardo:
Dave
OK I changed the boot order (in VB Settings). In short the installer completely wiped my virtual hard disk and did a new install. So I lost all my applications - not an in-place upgrade. Just as well I have a backup. Did I miss an option to do just an upgrade?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version