Author Topic: Browser or website problem?  (Read 10236 times)

Pete

• View Profile
Browser or website problem?
« on: June 06, 2020, 02:54:31 pm »
Hi All

Using Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; Warp 4.5; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0 SeaMonkey/2.42.9esr, checking about:buildconfig I see '--enable-optimize=-march=pentium-m -O2' which should help Dave identify exact build I think.

I am trying to access https://www.gumtree.com and during load images on the page briefly display but after loading the page is totally blank, no text or images. This worked until very recently.

The "View -> Page Source" displays the page code.

I have exchanged email about the problem with gumtree support who respond with "tested the site using a Chrome and FF browser on Windows 10, and all appears to be okay" along with the suggestion to try Chrome or other modern browser.

Having just installed haiku in VirtualBox I gave the included WebPositive browser a try with exactly the same results.

The WebPositive "about" shows:-

WebPositive 1.1 (alpha) browser - September 2018

HaikuWebKit 1.6.7
   WebKit 606.1.4

I guess WebPositive is not "modern" enough.

Out of interest is the above WebKit part of qt5? - is our proposed new browser already out of date?

Can anyone identify the problem(s) the above browsers have with gumtree.com?

Regards

Pete

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
Re: Browser or website problem?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 03:24:22 pm »
Well, In Windows 10 it works with Falkon and it was released last year. So I would say if it goes well  you will have no problem with the new QT5 based browser.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 03:37:38 pm »
Hi Pete,

I see what you are seeing especially when I temporally start allowing the scripts they seem to think necessary to run the site.  With all scripts blocked I do see some pictures. I didn't bother trying to allow the advertising they wanted to dump on my computer.

As a second test I started Falkon browser on Linux Mint.  All the pictures show up and I assume the site is still running the dozen or so scripts - 6 ads are blocked.

Next I opened Firefox 76 on and allowed gumtree on NoScript.  After asking to allow cookies the pictures came up with no problems - can't do anything with them though, I assume that would require unblocking more scripts from external sites. 

As an aside, when I opened the site Adblock blocked 6 ads but after 10 minutes it is up to 13 ads blocked. 

It would appear the gumtree site is doing some blocking of older browsers presumably because the older browsers won't run some of the scripts they seem to think are necessary.

I will try with firefox on my Samsung tablet when it is charged.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 05:00:20 pm »
Hi Pete, I went to the site without a user agent and NoScript, they thought I was a bot and told me to enable scripting, after allowing a couple of scripts, Gumtrees and the Google one for Captcha and clicking I'm not a robot, the site seems to work. At least I see pictures with descriptions and prices.
So try a different user agent or none (blank) which actually seems to work.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 08:01:06 pm »
Depends where you put it. In my view its a website problem. They illegally want to now things from you and the programs at the back can't do it with our browser. They valueyourprivacy. Lets translate that. Value is in this case money. So they earn money with your private information. In my country this is illegal.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 11:07:29 pm »
Hi Dave

Many user agent strings tried with same result

No "blank" option in User Agent Switcher so I created 1 by renaming a Firefox string to Blank and deleting the contents of that user agent string.

I set Seamonkey to report itself using the "Blank" user agent string and NoScript to "Temporarily allow" gumtree and google scripts but still no joy.

Of possible interest is that the problem seems to only affect the gumtree home page as if I select a url from my browser history - eg https://www.gumtree.com/cars/oldham/hybrid-electric - all works as expected. Just a case of avoiding clicking the Home link...

Regards

Pete

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 12:43:36 am »
Hi Pete, did you do a forced reload, CTRL-F5 (or is that SHIFT-F5)? I just went back with the usual SM default user agent, https://www.gumtree.com/ displayed blank areas where the pictures should be along with the description, enabling scripts from gumtree.com allowed the pictures to display.
This is using the SM that is included with ArcaOS 5.0.5, not much different from SUa2 besides using more stuff from @UNIXROOT.
You might want to test with a different profile if clearing the cache doesn't help.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 04:09:12 pm »
Hi Dave

Just retried with SM default user agent and gumtree scripts allowed and see text and some images but most images are missing.

I also tried with a profile that does not have noscript installed. That results in gumtree telling me that I do not have javascript enabled so there is something wrong with the gumtree website code. Having completed a captcha gumtree.com loads a blank page.

Is the 5.0.5 SM different from your latest SUa2? - and which would you recommend?

Regards

Pete

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 06:01:40 pm »
It's basically the same code. Anyways, with a different SeaMonkey, I'm getting the same results. I also have uBlock Origin installed, perhaps that makes a difference?

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 11:13:34 pm »
Did you try to load the page with the debugger enabled (development tools)
A very big numbers of js are loaded, the site loads many cookies with ot without accepting cookies
(They are some activities which could be seen as suspicious...)

Try to connect using private mode .
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 11:52:27 pm by Remy »

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 04:05:34 pm »
Hi Remy

Thanks for the tip.

Using Private Window and allowing scripts for gumtree (only) works very well. I wonder why that is?

Regards

Pete

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2020, 03:53:26 pm »
Hi All

Seems that it was a website problem as I now have no problem accessing gumtree.com without using a Private Window.

Regards

Pete

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2020, 03:28:17 pm »
I'm noticing some improvement in the GCC 9.2 build of Firefox included with ArcaOS 5.0.5. Have these builds been posted somewhere, or are they exclusive to Arca Noae?
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Matt Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2020, 03:54:58 pm »
The 9.2 gcc is in the exp netlabs, so anyone with anpm can get them.
Matt W