Author Topic: Version 5.0.5 - In place upgrade failed again  (Read 3736 times)

Paolo_Ricardo

Version 5.0.5 - In place upgrade failed again
« on: June 07, 2020, 06:11:41 am »
Just downloaded 5.0.5 and tried to update my existing installation (Virtual Box VM). I did the 'Update previous ArcaOS installation' and got the 'Updating the system' screen. The progress bar showed 'Updating installed system components' and then froze at 5% - this is exactly what happened when I tried with 5.0.4.

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
Re: Version 5.0.5 - In place upgrade failed again
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 07:30:39 am »
IIUC, the "pre-boot environment" (the thing that puts up the initial menus) should detect that you're using VBox and set up the the installer accordingly. Perhaps that isn't working as expected for your VBox installation (my hard drive update went well).

Try again. This time on the 2nd menu, choose "Boot with menu for own values". On the 2nd page, it should show that the system type is a virtual machine. You can try changing this to see if you get better results. (Given that it hangs on 'Updating installed system components', this seems like the most likely W-A-G.)

BTW... this is VBox 6.x on Win?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 07:34:55 am by Rich Walsh »

Paolo_Ricardo

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 09:09:40 am »
Rich

VBox 6.1 on Windows 10

This time on the 2nd menu, choose "Boot with menu for own values". On the 2nd page, it should show that the system type is a virtual machine.
Chose 'Boot with menu for own values'

The only options shown under System Type are:
- Default system type for modern hardware
- Vintage hardware (no APIC or IOaPIC)

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 06:06:20 pm »
If you follow the Wiki instructions at https://www.arcanoae.com/wiki/, you can probably get it to work. There is a specific section for VirtualBox, which steps you through the setup, with a bit of explanation. If your old setup is not as shown there, I would suggest following the directions, and attach your old virtual drive before you try to update. Get it working first). You may need to change some entries in CONFIG.SYS, to match a new configuration. You are effectively moving the old disk to a new machine.

It would probably be easier to make a new install, following those instructions, then move your data.

The old VirtualBox setup was very poor, and designed to be something similar to a 486 processor (the Vintage hardware option in the ArcaOS installer). It works, but it is definitely not optimal. The Wiki instructions explain how to set up a modern machine, then you use the Modern hardware option to do the install. I am not too sure how well that would update. There will probably be missing parts, because updating does not add new things.