Author Topic: Samba client - correct username / pass setups...  (Read 3168 times)

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
Samba client - correct username / pass setups...
« on: June 11, 2020, 07:43:56 pm »
So I've got just the Samba client on my OS/2 box here, it connects to multiple shares on the LAN.

Ever since I had installed AOO way back when I have had 'SET USER=...' entry in my CONFIG.SYS. Didn't really pay much attention to it, but now that I'm spending a lot more time with the Samba stuff I'm realizing that this little environment variable has had an impact on the Samba functionality.

Specificially, the client will look for the USER variable and if it finds it (which it does here) it uses that as the default authentication username. Since my current value in the CONFIG.SYS does not match the ID I have defined on my multiple LAN devices, I now have a bit of a problem. Now of course I can spec a different name, and when my shares are configured through NetDrive (which is how most of them are) this USER variable has very little impact. However, when doing stuff at CLI the situation is quite different.

Further on, looking at the 'kLIBC - User Manager' I now of course have that current CONFIG.SYS value showing, but the correct username does not exist.

So, can anyone explain the impact (potential, maybe none?) of actually creating a 'NEW kLIBC - User Manager' account with the LAN username I want to use?

The bigger goal here is to configure the Samba client side of the house on my OS/2 box so that the true LAN ID/PASS combinations are stored locally on my OS/2 box (in the Samba pass file presumably) and by default that combination is used do that I do not have to enter it at the CLI level.

Thanks!