Author Topic: USB 3 - ArcaOS - Hardware Reports  (Read 28980 times)

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
Re: USB 3 - ArcaOS - Hardware Reports
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2020, 10:49:45 pm »
My Thinkpad 25-2, based on a Thinkpad T480 (I build my own Thinkpad based on a T480 with the Palmrest, Keyboard, Touchpad etc. from the Thinkpad 25, all the inside electronic is a T480 with 32 GB RAM, Nvidia MX150, 2 TB SATA SSD etc. USB Hardware see Screenshot; unfortunately sound is not working so far, have to dig there):

USB 3 Driver work very well. USB DVD is working, USB DisketteDrive is working.

PCI.EXE attached.

Well Done!

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2020, 01:08:32 am »
I successfully booted a USB stick with ArcaOS 5.0.5 on a Lenovo E490 - unfortunately the drives all have GPT partition tables so I couldn't actually install it, but mouse, etc worked - couldn't check sound as it was only at the install screen.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2020, 01:25:29 am »
Thanks for the reports

Sigurd. Nice, you made a custom Thinkpad Retro. I will make a page for it with your report. Do you still have the original "Lenovo ThinkPad 25 - Retro", or it was used for your custom Thinkpad? If you still have the original one I can use the pci.exe report to complete the HardwareID of it.

Paul: Can you run the PCI.exe and generate the report on the USB flash? lsusb report would be also nice, but I think it will be harder since some DLLs may be missing on the installer boot  image to make it run.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2020, 08:27:58 am »

The error occurs when installing the 12.x kit from Arca. At the moment, I checked version 12.06 and
audio driver from version 12.06. I see a problem in the fact that USB 12.x drivers do not work correctly in a multiprocessor system.
Hello Igor
You can try to kill ACPIDAEMON.exe with top.exe or similar tool. Or rem in config.sys acpidaemon.exe. And test.
Saludos

Igor

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2020, 02:16:56 pm »
Hello Igor
You can try to kill ACPIDAEMON.exe with top.exe or similar tool. Or rem in config.sys acpidaemon.exe. And test.
Saludos
Thank you for the idea. I tried - it didn’t work. I updated ADCI to the latest version 3.23.13 and stopped the ACPIDAEMON.exe. But the sound is still torn when loading multiple processors.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2020, 08:59:34 am »
Paul: Can you run the PCI.exe and generate the report on the USB flash? lsusb report would be also nice, but I think it will be harder since some DLLs may be missing on the installer boot  image to make it run.

Sorry, no lsusb, but attached is a pci.exe report from the Lenovo e490.

Cheers,

Paul

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2020, 12:55:45 pm »
Thanks for the reports

Sigurd. Nice, you made a custom Thinkpad Retro. I will make a page for it with your report. Do you still have the original "Lenovo ThinkPad 25 - Retro", or it was used for your custom Thinkpad? If you still have the original one I can use the pci.exe report to complete the HardwareID of it.

Regards

Hi Martin,

thanks, but the Original T25 is for sale now and therefore OS/2 is already deleted. I think it does not make much sense to make special side for the T25/2 as it is the only available "unikat" around. Others did the same as me, but with differenzt T480 hardware (i.e. no Touchscreen). It might make sense to make a page for the T480, as the T25/2 is almost one. But there are so many things today not working or limited, that this may make no sense either (i.e. only 1 GB RAM visible, no Sound etc.).

By the way please do not wonder, I deleted my ArcaOS Channel on Youtube as well as I do not have the time nor motivation to keep it going on.

Thanks for your ongoing support for OS/2-eCS-ArcaOS!

All the best!

Sigurd

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2020, 09:47:30 pm »
Thanks Paul

Here it is the page: Lenovo_ThinkPad_E490. If you want to provide me the "General Specs" information (of that page), I will include it too.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2020, 03:26:04 am »
It might make sense to make a page for the T480, as the T25/2 is almost one.
Sigurd

Thanks Sigurd.

I created a page for ThinkPad T480..
Please let me know if you can let me know the missing things on "General Specs". Or anything you can add.

I was wondering, since it is a modern hardware, which USB 3 is the one working, since it recognize two devices:
- Intel Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI Controller    8086:9D2F
- Intel JHL6240 Thunderbolt 3 USB 3.1 Controller (Low Power) [Alpine Ridge LP 2016]    8086:15C1
Is that like some USB ports are the Sunrise and some other are the Thundebolt USB 3? Are both working on the T480? I don't know how this new hardware operates with Thundebolt.

Also, a lsusb report will be interesting to know the webcam hardwareId and any other USB internal things.

Regards
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 07:09:50 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2020, 03:50:02 pm »
Quebopeep

http://www.blondeguy.com/computer/quebopeep.html

Manufacturer: Lenovo
Model: ThinkCentre M93p Tower
RAM: 8 GB
Hard drive: 500 GB SATA
USB 3.0 controllers: 1
USB 2.0 controllers: 2

USB 3.0 works on all ports, and with mass storage and audio. However, all computers seem to suffer from problems with hubs, KVM and other devices, and once problems occur, USB drivers get confused and then mouse, keyboard and mass storage do not work reliably. I thought I'd post this up here. I plan to submit a bug to Arca Noae, but feel free to post more information if you use hubs or KVM. Bugs are not limited to this computer.

Jul 29, 2020 update: USB is working nicely with USB 3.0 mass storage devices. USB 2.0 Mass storage device work with USBXHCD.SYS disabled.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 05:04:25 am by Neil Waldhauer »
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2020, 05:56:02 pm »
I am using a cheap Aimos 4 port USB/HDMI KVM switch between 2 Linux boxes, my old Warp 4 box and the ArcaOS test machine.  No problems at the moment.  It uses a single connection USB cable which works with AOS on a USB 3 port.

I also have an Atolla CH-326U3S USB 3 external SATA docking station wit a 2 port hub built in.  It also works but the one annoying thing is that it has to be powered up for the hub to work since it relies on its external power supply rather than being powered from the computer USB port.

Matt Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2020, 06:39:24 pm »
I am using a KVM from AirLink 101 for Keyboard and mouse with 1 PS/2 port on each computer and a splitter cable for the mouse & keyboard.  The Arca 5.0.5 USB 3 is working fine on my 2 machines.  I have a separate HDMI splitter for video as the new MBs don't have VGA outputs that work for me.  The HDMI shifts automatically when I turn on a different computer, but also has a small remote.  Very happy with Arca!
Matt W

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2020, 07:52:56 pm »
Everything works sometimes with my IOGear KVM, which is the same model line used by the developer. I suspect the intermittent nature of the failures make it harder to debug. I'm still gathering information on it. I don't have a second KVM to test with, which might help.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2020, 08:18:34 pm »
Hi Neil,

Are you sure it isn't a dry joint in the KVM?  Maybe it would pay to get a cheap one from Amazon to test.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2020, 02:01:22 am »
Looking at the reviews, this KVM is an emulated one, so it will have some problems emulating my real keyboard and mouse. I use a really odd mouse to help with an injury I had a few years ago. Cheap KVM have different defects having to do with machines coming up without mouse, keyboard or video when booting with focus on another machine.

Taking the KVM out of the picture, USBMSD is fairly reliable, but occasionally doesn't recognize media. Mouse and keyboard work fine plugged into a USB 3.0 port.

I'm hesitating to file a bug. I want to come up with meaningful scenarios to reproduce bad behavior. Having the same hardware as the developer puts me ahead in that respect. If I can make it fail reliably on my hardware, it will probably reproduce on his hardware.

It's a pity that USB 11.17 and also Lars builds worked so well on this hardware -- it sets high expectations. That is also one nice thing about the M93p series -- real USB 2.0 hardware in addition to real USB 3.0 hardware.

I don't know if you use sysbench software. I plugged a USB stick into a USB 3.0 port and got 64 Disk I/O marks. An ordinary hard disk gets 805. I wonder if it should be that slow?

Jul 29, 2020 update: I plugged in a new USB 3.0 stick and get 209 Disk I/O marks. The other stick must be USB 2.0.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 05:09:37 am by Neil Waldhauer »