Author Topic: USB 3 - ArcaOS - Hardware Reports  (Read 28986 times)

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: USB 3 - ArcaOS - Hardware Reports
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2020, 08:02:51 am »
I don't know if you use sysbench software. I plugged a USB stick into a USB 3.0 port and got 64 Disk I/O marks. An ordinary hard disk gets 805. I wonder if it should be that slow?

No, it shouldn't be that slow, but USB sticks are mostly garbage, and most of the cheap ones won't be anywhere near as fast as USB 3 is designed for (I have a couple that don't run any faster than USB2 sticks in windows 10 too). You need the expensive sticks, with high data rates, and even then they probably won't run at USB 3 design speeds. I get the most consistent, and fastest speed, using a HDD enclosure with USB 3. I don't have a SSD to try in it, but that should be even faster. I haven't measured the speed with SysBench, so I can't give exact numbers.

I also find that different controllers impact the speed. The best one, that I have, is a SUPAHUB brand, which has a Renesas chipset (I got it at Amazon). In fact I now have two of them, and they seem to be very good. I also have one that is a cheap generic thing, branded as Fresco Logic. It does not have any way to add additional power, and it is easily overpowered (it powers off) because the PCIe socket cannot supply enough power for it (at least on the two systems where I have tried it). When it does work, it seems to perform okay.

One other thing, is that the A type connectors can fail to connect to USB 3, and it may be running with the USB 2 controller, at USB 2 speeds (USB 3 controllers have two controllers, one for USB 3, and another for USB 1.x and 2.x - both are operated by the USBXHCD.SYS driver). Those connectors need to be close to perfect, to avoid connection problems, and it is very difficult to determine what connection it is actually using. Interestingly, they can also fail to connect to the USB 2 controller, which only matters if you are using an external USB 3 hub, or a USB 2 device.

It is also likely that the USBXHCD.SYS driver is still loaded with debug code, so there is some hope that it will get better, eventually.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2020, 08:19:50 am »
Hi Neil, as Doug says, many sticks are garbage, though that number seems extra low. Have you tested it on a USB2 port?
Here, a 32 GB sd card that seems like one of my faster sticks (it is plugged into a stick like adapter) gives 177 Disk IO marks and a 8GB stick gives 197 IO marks. Both plugged into USB2 ports.
One problem with Sysbench is it doesn't seem to like really low seek times and doesn't give IO marks for my ram disk or SSD, leaving the access time showing dashes. The 8GB stick gives .8 ms seek times, giving a higher mark then the sd card (18ms), which actually has 33% faster transfer speeds (33MB/s vs 24MB/s)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2020, 01:26:31 pm »
Quebopeep

Thanks Neil, I was hoping for you to jump into this thread. I'm creating a wiki page for the "Quebopeep", if you can share the pci.exe and lsusb.exe reports I would appreciate it.
Also if you can report any other USB3 experience with the rest of you machines, so I can update the wiki pages.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2020, 05:34:22 pm »
The pci dump for Quebopeep (Lenovo ThinkCentre m93p tower) is attached.

The lspci only shows my mouse and keyboard, so I didn't bother with it.

The best I can say is that USB 3.0 12.06 works partially. USB 2.0 12.06  is working great if USB 3.0 driver is not loaded. I'm not sure that this is explained in "known issues" in the readme.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2020, 12:41:47 am »
Thanks Neil.
Here it is the page "Lenovo ThinkCentre M93p Tower"
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2020, 03:47:26 am »
Phenobopeep

I am an Arca Noae reseller, and I have a few computers available for sale. This is one of them. I thought I'd report on the behavior of the ArcaOS 5.0.5 installation and USB 3.0.

http://www.blondeguy.com/computer/phenobopeep.html

Manufacturer: Lenovo
Model: ThinkPad T450s
Screen: 14.0 inch, 1920 x 1080 pixels
Weight: 3.5 pounds
WiFi: Travel Router
USB 3.0 controllers: 1
USB 2.0 controllers: 1

USB 3.0 works on all ports for mouse and keyboard. Mass storage does not work with USB 3.0 driver. However, this computer (and many others) seem to suffer from problems with hubs, KVM and other devices, and once problems occur, USB drivers get confused and then mouse, keyboard and mass storage do not work reliably. I thought I'd post this up here.

USB 3.0 can be enabled in BIOS. If it is disabled, and the USBXHCD.SYS driver is not loaded in config.sys, the Mass storage works quite well.

I can operate with USB 3.0 Enabled. The Dock and the KVM, and mouse and keyboard work. Only Mass storage does not work in this case. In normal work, I do not use USB mass storage devices, so I didn't notice at first.

I still have not opened the bug report, but when I do, I will announce it in this forum.

Jul 29, 2020 update: USB is working nicely with USB 3.0 mass storage devices. USB 2.0 Mass storage device work with USB 3.0 disabled in BIOS.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 05:18:22 am by Neil Waldhauer »

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2020, 11:30:03 pm »
Strobopeep

I am an Arca Noae reseller, and I have a few computers available for sale. This is one of them. I thought I'd report on the behavior of the ArcaOS 5.0.5 installation and USB 3.0. My computer web pages can also be used as a guide to install ArcaOS yourself.

http://www.blondeguy.com/computer/strobopeep.html

Model: ThinkPad T540p
Screen: 15.4 inch, 1920 x 1080 pixels
Weight: 5.3 pounds
WiFi: Travel Router

Arca Noae USB driver stack 12.06 has disappointing results for this laptop. The USB 3.0 support support for Mass Storage is not curently working. With the USB 3.0 Enabled setting in BIOS enabled, mouse and keyboard do not work. USB 2.0 support is not working, either. Neither driver supports the dock.

USB driver version 11.17 works well, including mass storage, mouse, keyboard, KVM and dock.

I have not opened the bug report, but when I do, I will announce it in this forum.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2020, 12:38:43 am »
Thanks Neil for sharing.

Just something, on the Strobopeep pci.exe report I don't see the USB 3.x listed. I see two EHCI listed, can it be some mistake with PCI.exe?

You may also want to update usb.ids to get a better descriptions of the USB device, but I already search for those and I added it to the wiki page.

Thanks
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2020, 02:40:17 am »
I am posting a revised set of files for Strobopeep.

The earlier files are correct for the BIOS setting USB 3.0 = disabled, which is needed to run the USB 2.0 drivers. So a BIOS setting changes the PCI device list. But I'm sure you knew that already.

LSUSB ID list was missing before, so I included it again. But this time, I changed how it plugged in. For now, the exact relationship of USB hubs appears to change the list of USB devices that are attached.

This time, BIOS is set to USB 3.0 = Auto. This at least gives me intermittent USB mouse and keyboard support while the laptop is docked.

A laptop in a dock attached to a KVM is apparently a very complex USB situation. Enough things work that I'm pretty sure all hardware is working, just intermittently with our drivers.

Jul 29, 2020 update: USB is working nicely with USB 3.0 mass storage devices. USB 2.0 Mass storage device work with USB 3.0 disabled in BIOS.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 05:23:35 am by Neil Waldhauer »

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2020, 04:54:30 pm »
Brubopeep

I am an Arca Noae reseller, and I have a few computers available for sale. This is one of them. I thought I'd report on the behavior of the ArcaOS 5.0.5 installation and USB 3.0. My computer web pages can also be used as a guide to install ArcaOS yourself.

http://www.blondeguy.com/computer/brubopeep.html

Model: ThinkCentre M93p Small Form Factor
CPU: Intel(R) core (TM) i7-4770 CPU 3.4 GHz
USB 2.0 controllers: 2

Arca Noae USB driver stack 12.06 is installed. With the USB 3.0 Enabled setting in BIOS enabled, mouse and keyboard work, even with KVM. Support for Mass Storage is not currently working. With USB disabled in BIOS, USB 2.0 support is working with Mass Storage, mouse, keyboard and KVM. USB Uninterruptible Power Supply is working well.

Audio, Video, DVD-RW all work well. Brubopeep also has optional PS/2 ports, Parallel port and PATA (IDE ATAPI) support available.

Jul 29, 2020 update: USB is working nicely with USB 3.0 mass storage devices. USB 2.0 Mass storage device work with USBXHCD.SYS disabled.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 05:24:10 am by Neil Waldhauer »

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2020, 05:01:17 pm »
Elbopeep

http://www.blondeguy.com/computer/elbopeep.html

Model: Thinkpad X250
CPU: Intel Core i5-5300U (2.30 GHz)
Screen: 12.5 inch Color LCD, 1366 x 768 pixels

Arca Noae USB driver stack 12.06 is installed. With the USB 3.0 Enabled setting in BIOS on Auto, mouse and keyboard sometimes work, even with KVM. Support for Mass Storage similarly sometimes is working. With USB 3.0 disabled in BIOS, USB 2.0 support is working with Mass Storage. Mouse, keyboard and KVM work sometimes.

Normal operation of the laptop does not require USB. The built-in mouse and keyboard are not USB.

This is a small laptop. There is no support for the built-in WiFi. I use a travel router connected to the Ethernet port. To me, the travel router has more and better capability than XWLAN. The router uses GL.inet software controlled by a web interface that runs just fine in Firefox.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 05:08:27 pm by Neil Waldhauer »

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2020, 03:46:25 pm »
Yumopeep

http://www.blondeguy.com/computer/yumbopeep.html

Model: ThinkCentre M900
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz
USB 2.0 controllers: 0

Arca Noae USB driver stack 12.06 is installed. Mouse and keyboard work, even with KVM. Support for Mass Storage sometimes is working, but generally not satisfactory. Bug report not yet submitted. Update (July 24: I tested again with a 2 TB external USB hard drive, and it is working pretty well. USB sticks are less certain to work)

This is a tower computer with optional PS/2 and Parallel ports. ArcaOS installs easily from DVD. Audio is working on Adapter 0.

Jul 29, 2020 update: USB is working nicely with USB 3.0 mass storage devices including USB 3.0 sticks.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 05:27:49 am by Neil Waldhauer »

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2020, 04:49:25 pm »
Hi Neil,

I think I am seeing a trend here.  All your computers have Intel processors and all have problems with USB 3.  All my computers have AMD Ryzen processors and do not have problems with USB 3.  Maybe others in the forum could confirm or deny that observation.

Have you tried a computer with an AMD Ryzen processor (I don't think Lenovo makes one unless it is a lower powered unit with the older A series CPUs)?

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2020, 04:00:23 am »
Arca Noae will fix all of the bugs I noted in due time. I need to supply them with appropriate bug information. Note that they aren't even accepting bug reports on the preview release unless it's on ArcaOS 5.0.5.

Note that USB does work on every machine I offer.

I haven't seen any demand for an AMD system from Blonde Guy thus far. I don't have anything against AMD.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2020, 09:21:53 pm »
Thank you Neil.

I had included your computers on the wiki, under "Desktop Computer".

Everybody is welcome to post more reports of their mainboard, laptop or desktop. (or anything else that can run ArcaOS ) :)

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster