OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Programming

Python 3.x?

(1/8) > >>

Paul Smedley:
Hi All,

Wondering how much interest there might be in a Python 3.x port? OS/2 support was removed from the source code around Python 3.3 - so it will be a reasonable amount of work to re-instate it. However, Samba keeps marching towards Python 3.x, and I fear that soon our 2.7.x build won't be good enough to keep Samba current....

Cheers,

Paul

Martin Iturbide:
Hi Paul

I can not talk from the developers point of view, I can only talk from what I read and saw around. According to some articles I had read since 2018, python popularity was growing and it is the most used language for machine learning today. Yes, it is hot and the "cool people" are using it.

From my perspective I had found some .py scripts that I want to use, but I don't realize the full potential of it yet. I guess we should try to find out what cool things we can potentially have in OS/2 if python 3.x gets ported.

Comments are welcome.

Regards

Martin Iturbide:

Source: 2018 https://medium.com/@UdacityINDIA/why-use-python-for-machine-learning-e4b0b4457a77

David McKenna:
Paul,

While I don't use Python directly, it seems more and more things need Python 3 and I would definitely like to see porting to OS/2 continue, so it would be great if you could do so...

Regards,

Dariusz Piatkowski:
Hi Paul,

Indeed, Python has a tremendous amount of functionality these days, the ML stuff in particular being part of my interest.

I would love to see 3.x stuff on our platform, mostly b/c majority of ML libraries (the stuff being actively talked about, etc.) is at that level.

Thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version