Author Topic: OS2 Warp 3 and Warp 4 installation to vintage machines and fixpaks  (Read 7518 times)

Am386Dx40

• Just me!
    • View Profile
Greetings to everyone,

back on the beginning of 1995 a friend of mine had bought an Aptiva 2144-910 (486 Dx2 66 MHz) and I was excited when I saw that instead of "Starting MS-DOS", it was mentioning "PC-DOS 6.3". But It had a boot manager to select DOS or OS/2.

It was OS/2 Warp 3 connect version installed!
Very good impression on me! At the Beginning of 1996 he installed Windows 95 and never again saw the impressive OS/2 logo.

Years ago when I was watching Computer Chronicles episodes my eye fell on episodes with OS/2 4.0 version and I was in love again!
Three years ago I've started to collecting vintage hardware, hardware I use to own, or wanted back on the day. So I have now on my possession a ThinkPad 380z, a A20m and a T23, which all they supported from Warp 4.52. So I've installed 4.52 on them an play a little bit. I also tested eComStation, a friend of mine had given me his installation media. Last August I bought ArcaOS and works great on my ThinkPads!

Recently I bought genuine versions of OS/2 Warp 3.0 Connect (Blue) and OS/2 Warp 4 and I want to install them on my 386 and 486, because DOS support is great, I've tested it on PCem.

I've just want to know which fixpaks to install on them to be able to use SNAP or SciTech vesa drivers.

The last fixpak for each version of OS/2 it's enough to patch the operating system to the last version?
Vintage computing... x86 rules!
DOS Power!

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: OS2 Warp 3 and Warp 4 installation to vintage machines and fixpaks
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 06:35:11 pm »
Hi, Welcome to the OS2World forums !!

For a plain OS/2 Warp 4.0 (English), I had tried to create a list of which IBM fixpacks can be applied to it:
https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Updating_OS/2_Warp_4
Check also the other links on the bottom.

I think that for SNAP it will be good to try to get Warp 4 on Fixpack 15 and maybe Device Driver 2, which was the latest freely available for download.

This list is open to discussion and improvement.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 06:37:40 pm »
Hi Am386Dx40, welcome.
Basically the fixpaks are cumulative, so yes, the latest fixpak will bring it up to the latest code.
A couple of notes. At one point the device drivers got separated,  so you will have to also apply the device driver fixpak, you might want to apply both the 1st and 2nd as IBM removed the USB support for the 2nd.
It's possible to modify Warp v3 to present itself as Warp Server and apply an even later fixpak, forget the specifics.
There are also the networking updates, MPTN and such, that are freely available.
http://web.archive.org/web/20060926004818/www.warpupdates.mynetcologne.de/english/site_contents.html is a good start on the various updates. While a lot of links are dead, the file names give something to Google.

Am386Dx40

• Just me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 06:21:35 am »
Thank you both for your answers!

I will try them soon, I'm just waiting my summer leave for free time!

Also another question.

On ArcaOS I know hot to replace the boot logo (OS2LOGO) to use the Warp 4 one or another, is it possible to replace also the button for opening application manager that says ARCAOS to OS/2 desktop with the OS2WARP one form 4.52 just to have more OS/2 nostalgia look?
DOS Power!

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 08:27:34 am »
Right click on it, open its Properties and choose use a different bitmap. Of course you need the bitmap.
Note that Warp V4 and I assume 4.52 actually use a different program for the menu bar. Warpcenter for Warp and a special build of xcenter for ArcaOS. There is the choice of installing warpcenter during install, forget the name the installer uses.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 03:25:30 pm »
I'm trying to help someone install ArcaOS on an IBM Thinkpad T23. I'm interested to see how it goes for you. He is not getting the installer to start from DVD.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Am386Dx40

• Just me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 06:14:48 pm »
I'm trying to help someone install ArcaOS on an IBM Thinkpad T23. I'm interested to see how it goes for you. He is not getting the installer to start from DVD.

I'm using installation from the USB drive, it's easier and quickier...

From DVD you must burn the media with lowest speed, make a verification of the data and close the optical media for further copying of files.

Also what is the condition of the optical drive?

Did he changed the boot order on the bios? Is the machine using the latest bios?

https://thinkpads.com/support/Thinkpad-Drivers/download.lenovo.com/lenovo/content/ddfm/T23.html
DOS Power!

Fahrvenugen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 07:30:53 pm »
Hi,

You mentioned Warp 3 Connect. Somewhere I had a list of all the updates needed for this, but I can't seem to find that list, so I'm going from memory here.

To get it installed you'll probably need to update the installation disk drivers, at least for the IDE drivers.  Probably the best is to go with danis506.add driver, find it on Hobbes.  As I recall the CD Rom driver that shipped with Warp was also buggy, you can find an update at:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/fixes/v3.0warp/english-us/warpinst/

For fixpaks, once you get it installed Fixpak 40 is the latest for Warp 3 Connect.  There was / is a hack that'll allow you to install Fixpak 42 from Warp Server, but beware - some people who have used that on some machines with Warp 3 (non-server) have run into stability issues.

Don't install the MPTS that comes with Warp 3 - it is an ancient 16 bit version which is buggy.  Go with the 32 bit version from Warp 4.  It is wr08610 for the base and then there's a fix of wr08621

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/mpts/fixes/english-us/wr08610_conv/

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/mpts/fixes/english-us/wr08621/

Once that's installed there's an additional tcp/ip fix that is on hobbes that can fix other TCP/IP crashes / issues. 

https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/?search=tcpip43fix&stype=any&sort=type_name&dir=%2F

For the TCP/IP stuff, Warp 3 Connect comes with TCP/IP 3.1.  Once you've installed TCP/IP from Warp Connect you'll want to install UN00959.  There's probably a better way to install it, but IBM's files are still at:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/tcpip/fixes/v3.1os2/un00959/english-us/

If you want Win32s 1.25a support in your WinOS/2, once you've installed Fixpak 40 you can grab that from Hobbes:

https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/?search=w32s125&stype=any&sort=type_name&dir=%2F

Once that's installed you'll need to do a reboot before it'll work properly.

There is an issue with Warp 3 where on some machines it won't see memory above 64 MB.  If that's the case then run Patchldr on your boot loader.  Actually you can probably just run this anyways even if you don't have the 64MB issue, I've never had it cause any trouble.

https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/?search=patchldr&stype=any&sort=type_name&dir=%2F

For SNAP on Warp 3, you'll need Fixpak 40 (or 42 if you decide to go that route)

If you want to use Truetype fonts in Warp 3 there is a Freetype driver that'll do this for you.  I think it is on Hobbes.

I'm sure there are other fixes that I've had on my list, but that's quite a few of them.

Fahrvenugen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2020, 09:49:55 pm »
Hi,

I just found one of my previous messages where I reference several other posts I made on getting Warp 3 up and running.  If you're looking to get Warp 3 connect up and running and updated, check it out (follow all 4 links)

https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,1350.msg12753.html#msg12753

Am386Dx40

• Just me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 10:12:04 pm »
Thank you very much!

Can't wait to see OS/2 Warp 3 on my 486Dx2 and even the Warp 4, using an Am5x86 cpu.

Hardware is compatible, S3 Vision968 VLB and ESS1868F have OS/2 drivers.

But will see...

I will inform soon about my progress and the upgrade of the OS/2 using fixpaks and separate udpates.

DOS Power!