OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Utilities

WifiState.exe

<< < (15/15)

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote ---Thank you Doug, but I am quite happy with my Dell, I find it quite adequate for what I want to do in spite of it's age, even though it doesn't measure up to post 1998 standards. If I never get it to even sniff an internet connection I think I'll hold on to it, if for nothing else then for nostalgia's sake, even though the 90's are probably not anyone's idea of a nostalgic time. At least not for me.
--- End quote ---

Obviously, it is not adequate for what you want to do, or you wouldn't have the problem of trying to make it do something that it is probably not capable of doing. I have a similar vintage IBM ThinkPad A22e. It works. I have installed ArcaOS on it, but it is not usable any more. It is a museum piece, nothing more. Nostalgia has nothing to do with it. I replaced it with the IBM ThinkPad T43, which is still usable, but I wouldn't want to use it all of the time. I now use a Lenovo ThinkPad T410, and a Lenovo ThinkPad L530, in addition to a few desktop machines.

I also still have an original IBM Personal Computer (the one with 16K memory chips on the motherboard, 64K memory chips came later). It still worked, about 15 years ago, but it isn't even worth the power to turn it on. It is just a museum piece.

--- Quote ---It was a long time ago, but I think the 3com PCMCIA had OS/2 drivers. I'm sorry I can't remember the model number.
--- End quote ---

It has been a few years since I tried to get a PCMCIA network card to work. I did get a 3Com OfficeConnect 10/100 model 3CXSH572BT (with X-Jack) to work, but the T43 has a better (1Gb) built in network adapter, that does a much better job. The A22e also has PCMCIA, but it has a better Intel NIC too. I do remember that getting the card to be recognized by the PCMCIA driver, wasn't much of a problem. Finding a driver was difficult. There may be something at: https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/?path=%2Fpub%2Fos2%2Fsystem%2Fdrivers%2Fnetwork. Then the biggest problem was trying to get a cable to stay connected to the X-Jack. Any movement, at all, would break the connection. I also got a 3Com Megahertz model CCFE575BT to load a driver (no idea which one), but I have no cable for it, so I don't know if it actually worked.

So, as suggested, 3Com is probably your best bet, but finding one could be difficult (you may find one in somebodies junk drawer, but cables tend to wander off, never to be seen again). Then, there is no guarantee that you will actually find a driver that will work.

Neil Waldhauer:
I looked in my list of old OS/2 drivers. It looks like I was using a 3cxe589et PCCard network interface. I used it for a second interface while using a Thinkpad T21 and Injoy Firewall. It ought to work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version