Author Topic: Painting program?  (Read 5754 times)

gt79

Painting program?
« on: July 19, 2020, 05:46:48 am »
Hello all,
Just wondering what painting programs you all recommend for ArcaOS? Something like Paint.NET on Windows would be perfect, or something as simple as Windows Paint would be OK too. Any recommendations?

Also, is there some kind of wiki listing this sort of thing? Available apps and so on?

Cheers

Garry

Pete

• View Profile
Re: Painting program?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 06:44:56 am »
Hi Garry

Less of a computer artist than a real life artist so no recommendation, Sorry.

You may want to rummage through the os2world wiki https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page follow Software to Graphics.

There is also a large OS/2 file archive called Hobbes here https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/ with a few apps that may be of interest - select the /pub/os2 link, browse through apps/ select graphics/ and maybe something in paint/ will look to be of interest.

Regards

Pete

gt79

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 07:56:37 am »
Great, will do. Thanks Pete.

Garry

nyao

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 08:06:00 am »

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 09:51:41 am »
Hello all,
Just wondering what painting programs you all recommend for ArcaOS? Something like Paint.NET on Windows would be perfect, or something as simple as Windows Paint would be OK too. Any recommendations?

Also, is there some kind of wiki listing this sort of thing? Available apps and so on?

Cheers

Garry

if you have Open JDK 1.6 or later installed on your system, in the Photo & Image editing section on Joop's Java software pages, this is the one I like most, similar to Paint Shop Pro :
https://joopn.home.xs4all.nl/os2ecs/ecs6e17.htm

gt79

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 10:00:39 am »
Thanks to nyao, Queency looks like just what I was looking for, and thanks to Mauro too, I'll check it out.

Mike Kölling

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 12:10:17 pm »
Hello all,

For simple things I still use the drawing function of StarOffice5.1. Seems to work better for me then the drawing function of OpenOffice.

Mike

Ben Hjelt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 10:54:08 pm »
It's great that ArcaOS is so versatile - I still have some big box win3.x productivity software to test  ;)

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2020, 11:00:10 pm »
There are three old vector graphics programs: logoart, CorelDraw 2.5 and DrawIt.

Mentore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 08:10:55 am »
There are three old vector graphics programs: logoart, CorelDraw 2.5 and DrawIt.

Another really interesting "drawing" (more like editing, but also for drawing) available for free on OS/2 id Photo>Graphics PRO by TrueSpectra. The makers also sent a public registration key to make it useable.
It's somehow steep in learning but can make really interesting things - to some extent I feel it comparable to Inkscape (without of course SVG and many modern tools).