Author Topic: Lotus 123 DOS version  (Read 11644 times)

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Lotus 123 DOS version
« on: July 21, 2020, 02:56:00 am »
Does anyone run this? I know it does NOT run on a recent machine running ArcaOS, but how old does the machine have to be before Lotus 123 DOS will run?

This issue is DOS support. I know there is a project at Arca Noae for refreshed DOS support, but it isn't ready today.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Lotus 123 DOS version
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 03:38:10 am »
Hi Neil

Is your question related to DOS compatibility in general, or do you have an specific need for Lotus 1-2-3, like converting an old format to something readable with today's tools?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 04:59:08 am »
Hi Neil

I just tried on a ArcaOS VirtualBox VM Guest to run Lotus 1-2-3 R4 for DOS. It runs on full screen mode only. Mouse supported worked fine too.
- https://winworldpc.com/product/lotus-1-2-3/4x

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 04:01:34 pm »
I need to supply Lotus 123 DOS R34 compatibility. I was hoping DOSBox/2 would do the trick. But bare metal has it's virtues, too.

I imaging for VirtualBox I'd need to install DOS, too.

I tried WinWorld for the Lotus R34 disks, but they are copy-protected and won't install.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 01:16:16 am »
Hi Neil.

Is there a hard dependency on Lotus 1-2-3 version 3.4 for your customer?
I don't know how compatible is a spreadsheet created in 3.4 with version 4.0. I understand that some spreedsheets get so complex that updating the program is a pain, but maybe you can ask.

Lotus 1-2-3 v3 Installer give me an issue on OS2 DOS VDM.

Seems like DOSBox have also issues about installing 1-2-3 v3 for DOS.

https://forum.winworldpc.com/discussion/11536/problems-running-install-exe-lotus-1-2-3-release-4
That post recommends a different emulator called 86Box. I don' know if something can be done, like installing Lotus 1-2-3 on that emulator and try to copy the installed files to DOSBox. But I don't know about the protection tool.

Regards
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 01:19:30 am by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

JTCaptKirk

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 04:01:55 pm »
If I may,  perhaps this needs to be installed using OS/2-DOS full-screen mode. Perhaps the program simply cannot be run in a windowed mode.
Another thing I seem to recall is that there was a DOS feature that could be used to report a different DOS version to a program that checks the version.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 04:15:51 pm »
Hi, welcome to the forum
If I may,  perhaps this needs to be installed using OS/2-DOS full-screen mode. Perhaps the program simply cannot be run in a windowed mode.
Yes, it is already on DOS full screen mode and it gives that issue. It does not do anything on windowed mode, it complains that it will not run.

Another thing I seem to recall is that there was a DOS feature that could be used to report a different DOS version to a program that checks the version.
I would have to see if I find something about this arround. Any pointer is welcome.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 04:39:31 pm »
I thought I'd post and refine my search a little bit. Yes, this is a user who is on R34, and moving to a different version is too difficult.

The ideal solution would be to find working hardware. The IBM Thinkpad T43 works on eCS and probably therefore ArcaOS. The Lenovo Thinkpad X250 fails on ArcaOS. What is the last Thinkpad that can really run a DOS program like Lotus 123? I like the idea of going backward to hardware that works, then enhance that hardware to be usable.

I did see an IBM document regarding issues around running Lotus 123 DOS under OS/2. The user is currently on a T43 and it works, so presumably he knows how to do that.

I see the same issue as Martin installing Lotus 123 under DOSBox/2.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 04:47:49 pm »

You are referring to setver , that was introduced in DOS version 5.0

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 04:57:15 pm »
It's also possible to run different versions of DOS under OS/2. Forget the specifics but it's documented in the help IIRC, at one time I had an old 16 bit version of Minix running in a VDM, worked fine.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 05:22:41 pm »
...The IBM Thinkpad T43 works on eCS and probably therefore ArcaOS. The Lenovo Thinkpad X250 fails on ArcaOS. ...

So, Lotus 1-2-3 R32 works on eCS DOS VDM (full screen) on a Thinkpad T43 and not on a Thinkpad X250 with ArcaOS?

I tried a very quick exercise on my Windows 10 machine. I found a MS-DOS 6.22 VM and run it on VirtualBox and see if we can run Lotus 1-2-3 3.4a.  (Lotus1-2-33.4a3.5-Dos.7z) (I haven't been able to find version 3.2). The installation procedure worked, I did not get the "You have not recorded yet your name...". In fact the installation procedure asked me to type the name and organization.

I was able to run Lotus 1-2-3 v3.4a on VirtualBox VM 6.1.0 Windows host, under a MS-DOS 6.22 guest on my Thinkpad Yoga 14.

I haven't tested VirtualBox 5 on ArcaOS in some time, but maybe some workarround can be found on that direction.

Regards

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2020, 07:51:08 pm »
The IBM Thinkpad T43 works on eCS and probably therefore ArcaOS.

My T43 works fine with ArcaOS, but I usually don't bother installing DOS/WIN support. I am pretty sure that it will start a DOS window, or full screen, okay, but that is about as far as I can go with DOS (I just don't have any DOS programs any more). Be aware, that my T43 is not the same thing as Lewis' T43. It seems that they are quite different. Mine is a model 1871, his is a 2xxx model (as I recall).

It seems that OS/2 uses DOS 5.0, by default. You can use different versions, of DOS, by using the run from diskette feature (can be a file on the HDD). I don't remember the details.

JTCaptKirk

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 01:37:52 pm »
I did some additional poking around in the event the issue is a specific DOS version issue. It was also a memory test of sorts for me since I haven't needed to do this
since the mid 90's. The OS/2 DOS VDM can be made to report a different DOS version by simply altering the properties of the DOS session folder. I usually would create another instance of the ICON (so as not to lose my original as a baseline) and then go into the properties and then alter the DOS version reported to a specific program. There are directions int the properties under this specific option as to how to input the parameters. Its fairly simple once you walk through it. I checked and ArcaOS still retains these options.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2020, 09:37:15 pm »
For running in a DOS VDM under OS/2 we need 2 things.

1. The computer must have a sufficient BIOS to run Lotus 123 DOS

Clearly the X250 running CSM in legacy mode does not meet this requirement
    So far the most recent laptop that can run it is T43 (April 2005)

2. The following DOS Settings are used:

DOS_FILES
DOS_VERSION
123.EXE,3,40,255
123DOS.EXE,3,00,255
LOTUS.EXE,3,40,255
DPMI_DOS_API
ENABLED
DPMI_MEMORY_LIMIT
EMS_FRAME_LOCATION
C0000
EMS_MEMORY_LIMIT
MEM_EXCLUDE_REGIONS
D0000-DFFFF
MEM_INCLUDE_REGIONS
C0000-CFFFF

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2020, 04:04:55 am »
Hi Neil

With that DOS session settings Lotus 123R34 runs on my ArcaOS VM with DOS VDM full screen, but the menu is not showing on the right.
I'm attaching both VMs screenshots.

I will like to try it out on real hardware. I need to fix the HDD of my laptop with ArcaOS and will try it out.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster