Author Topic: How to have quantity and quality of memory  (Read 15681 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: How to have quantity and quality of memory
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2020, 04:12:45 pm »
Hi Pete, you should try increasing your VIRTUALADDDRESSLIMIT.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2020, 04:14:54 pm »
Hi Pete,

I would suggest running Memtest from a bootable CD to check that your memory sticks are OK.

From my experience with various motherboards, changing the MB and using the same hard disk doesn't cause problems - the very odd time there was a problem Memtest found a memory module with dud sectors, changed the memory stick and all was well again.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2020, 01:57:46 am »
Hi All

Removing 2 sticks of RAM leaving 2 x 2Gb sticks in place made no difference. Strange that a motherboard swap should introduce problems especially as they are very similar specification motherboards.

Reinstalled the 2 sticks of RAM and continued experimenting with SWAPPATH and VIRTUALADDDRESSLIMITvalues.

I seem to have found the settings that work for this system:-

SWAPPATH=L:\OS2\SYSTEM 2048 204800
   VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT=1536

Both the above settings are lower than used previously and, so far, everything seems to work - have opened and closed both Seamonkey and Openoffice3 times prior to posting this whereas previous settings would not let Openoffice run at all. I have also used Dosbox twice to run some dos games and Free Sudoku (java game) in between checking if Seamonkey or Openoffice fail to run.

No doubt immediately I post this message the whole lot will "crash and burn"  ;-)

Regards

Pete