Author Topic: Mini PC for ArcaOS  (Read 4023 times)

tcoulon

Mini PC for ArcaOS
« on: July 28, 2020, 03:31:53 pm »
Hello all,

Just wanted to say that I was looking for a mini-PC for use with ArcaOS and ,after some search, decided to try Gigabytes Brix model GB-BACE-3000, as a post reported having installed Windows 7 on it. As a matter of fact, it is possible to set the bios to legacy and I have ArcaOS running. Sound is not good however and I have intermittent problems with my HDMI KVM (things seem better on a VGA KVM).

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Mini PC for ArcaOS
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 03:52:52 pm »
Hi Thierry, welcome to the forum.

Thanks for sharing your hardware review.  The device looks very interesting according to its webpage.

I always like to document this devices on the Wiki, can you please share on this thread the pci.exe and lsusb report? Here I have some information on how to do that.

About the HDMI KVM. What if you connect directly the monitor to the HDMI, does it work fine?. I found sometimes that different HDMI cables and adapters may produce different results, and it is a general thing, not something just related to ArcaOS.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

tcoulon

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 12:11:07 am »
The output of pci.exe is attached.

I didn't have time to install lsusb yet, I'll do this tomorrow.

As to the KVM, the cables are provided with the machine (HDMI and USB). HDMI works, I sometime have no mouse and/or no keyboard (directly pluging a Thinkpad keyboard then works).

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 02:39:10 am »
Hi Thierry

Thanks Thierry, I created a wiki page about your reported hardware, based on the information on pci.exe. 

About the USB Mouse and Keyboard disconecting. I'm guessing here, but I experienced something similar on a USB 3 mainboard that I have, my workarround is to connect and disconnec the mouse and keyboard. I also had seen some reports that other Intel USB 3.x chipset are not completely working yet. Maybe we will have to report and see if AN will release an update to the USB 3.x drivers.

About the sound. Do you hear sound thru some speakers to the sound jack? or with the HDMI output? Do you have volume control? Are you able to raise and lower the volume with the controls?. I'm not an expert using unimix, but maybe some people can help on the forum. Can you please post your reports of "Unimix -card" "Unimix -list", "unimix -pcms" and "unimix -names" maybe someone reading that can help to get your a clearer sound.

Regards

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

tcoulon

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 11:11:13 am »
Hi,

Yes, switching on the KVM seems to work (mostly).

As to the sound, I do get sound from the audio port (I don't seem to get anything on the HDMI but I would not use anyway). However the sound is distorted, full of parasite noises. That's not really important because I don't plan much audio with ArcaOS but of course it would be nice to debug.

I attach the outputs of lsusb and those of unimix.

Have a nice day