Author Topic: USB Warp 3  (Read 5495 times)

jamiem

USB Warp 3
« on: August 02, 2020, 04:36:03 am »
What do you recommend to get USB to work on Warp 3? Is this possible?  I found one driver but all it can do is power on my devices.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 05:32:58 am by jamie marchant »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: USB Warp 3
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 07:34:51 am »
I take it you found Chris's USB driver?
It may be possible. Guessing, you'd have to update to the latest fixpak, at which point the device driver fixpack #1 would install giving you basic USB support. Unluckily IBM followed the official specs while everyone else used the MS specs, so you'd still be limited to what works.
At that point, you may be able to install Lars's drivers, and if they didn't work, well he monitors this forum and may be able to fix them.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 09:43:27 am »
What do you recommend to get USB to work on Warp 3? Is this possible?  I found one driver but all it can do is power on my devices.

Well more importsntly what device are you connecting ?

A copy of your config.sys USB entries would help.

And indeed as Dave asked, what USB drivers are you using ?

Roderick Klein

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 05:57:54 pm »
Hi Jaime.

I think that some versions of IBM's USB were supposed to work with Warp 3. I heven't test Warp 3 in real hardware in a very long time and I think I never test USB, so I'm now sure which version should work.

The procedure should be:
1) Install USBBasic which is the basic USB stack for OS/2.
2) Install the USB Mouse driver.
After that, test if your ports are working with a USB mouse.
Then you have some USB drivers like Keyboard, printer.

What I don't know if the USB drivers on Warp 3 depends on the some Fixpack, and which ones is the lastest that had Warp 3 support.

Regards

« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 06:01:46 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

jamiem

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 08:57:09 pm »
I have found a couple of USB stacks?(drivers?) but I think I need to be consistent with them. I know it was the early days for USB. I am trying to get my KVM switch to work which  too a computer looks like a USB hub with a Generic Keybmoard/Mouse Attached.(these MAY show up as a "composite device"*. My mouse is a IntelePoint and my PowerPC Macs work nicer with if I use the 3 port USB hub on the front, this makes my mouse not generic(the computer can read the ID).

USB Flash drive support would make my life a lot easier(I burn software onto a multisession CD-R) but this did not really become a thing till 98/99 so I don't expect OS2 Warp 3 to have support for it.

* Device Manager in Windows 98SE MAY have called it that.(By the way my 98SE is a completely different computer)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 09:12:10 pm »
Even now, USB KVM switches can be hit or miss, though more likely a hit.
You are right that the USB stack has to be consistent, don't mix drivers.
It's possible that Warp V3 will support up to a 2GB stick as a large floppy. That is still a limit for unpartitioned media. Lars implemented a work around filter in his stack to get around it.
Lars's drivers are on hobbes, latest, https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/drivers/usb/usbdrv234.zip be interesting if they work on Warp v3.
Basically, currently there are 2 sets of USB drivers all derived from IBM code, Lars's drivers that are free and the Arca Noae drivers that you need a subscription for.
Anyways, experiment and report results. Testing a mouse, keyboard and a small USB stick seem like a good beginning. The USB stick might be the hardest on Warp V3 as it needs to be discovered and ejected.

jamiem

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 02:14:12 am »
Got the keyboard to work perfectly(which is a great improvement), the mouse still does not work. It glows but does not control the curser. Do I need to make a change in the "selective install"?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 06:54:12 am »
Got the keyboard to work perfectly(which is a great improvement), the mouse still does not work. It glows but does not control the curser. Do I need to make a change in the "selective install"?

That's good. You might need a newer mouse driver. Perhaps amouse will work for you. Can't find a newer one right now then this, https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/drivers/mouse/Amouse_2-80.wpi. You also need the Warpin installer, latest is currently in Hobbes incoming.

jamiem

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 06:51:06 pm »
Even that older version of aMouse only supports Warp 4.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 10:55:14 pm »
Might have to wait until you install the device driver fixpak. The 1st one had all the USB stuff on it, while the second one, IBM removed it and made it only available for subscribers.