Author Topic: [SOLVED?] QuickTime in Win-OS/2 possible?  (Read 7328 times)

jamiem

[SOLVED?] QuickTime in Win-OS/2 possible?
« on: August 02, 2020, 09:00:37 pm »
Hi
 I tried to install QuickTime but USER.exe(Win-OS/2 comes with its own version of USER.exe) crashes with a"No Function"(or something with the same meaning) error, this intern leads too Win-OS/2 to crash. Do you know how to fix this issue? I think one of the things I did to get  Win-OS/2 to work is to their USER.exe. so using the normal one is not an option.
-Jamie
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 04:42:32 pm by jamie marchant »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: QuickTime in Win-OS/2 possible?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 09:22:50 pm »
I don't remember having to do anything special for Quicktime to work.
At some point you are going to need to update your Warp v3 to the latest fixpack. There may well have been fixes back in the day when Apple and IBM were co-operating that involved Quicktime. There were other fixes such as to the networking stack worked on by Netscape and IBM to get Netscape working under Winos2. Even your USB might need an updated version of Warp 3.

jamiem

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 05:22:42 am »
This time it's saying "General Protection Fualt", so it may not be an OS2 thing, I'll try some other things latter and see what works, maybe I need a newer version of QuickTime.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 06:50:58 am »
There's also a beta of Quicktime for OS/2, [url]https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/mmedia/video/players/quicktime.zip[url/]

jamiem

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 02:52:52 am »
That works but I still want it to work in Windows, so I can run my "multimedia CD-ROMs".*

* Movies, pictures, sound and text tied togeather by Hotwards.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 03:03:04 am by jamie marchant »

Fahrvenugen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 04:22:22 pm »
Hi,

The Windows 3.1 version of Quicktime does work in WinOS/2, however if you are running Warp 3 then you'll need:

-Fixpak 40 installed
-Once Fixpak 40 is installed, install Win32s Version 1.25 in a full screen, enhanced  WinOS/2 session
-After installing Win32s 1.25 you need to do a full reboot to make it work.  Once that's done you can confirm it is working by running Freecell (which should run as long as WinOS/2 is running in Enhanced mode)
-To get Win3.1 Quicktime to work / install, make sure you're running WinOS/2 in Enhanced mode and if I recall correctly it has to be installed in full screen mode (it'll run in seamless once it is installed)

To get Win32s 1.25 you can find this on Hobbes at:

https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/?dir=%2F&stype=all&sort=type_name&search=w32s125.zip

Also there is reference on the Hobbes file that for Warp 3 Win32S to work you need "warp32s.zip".  This is no longer correct.  Warp32s.zip contains an older version of the driver that allows Win32s 1.25 to run, there were some updates to that driver and it got bundled into a fixpak.  By having Fixpak 40 installed you'll already have the most up to date version of the driver that allows Win32s 1.25 to work in Warp 3.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 04:32:46 pm by Fahrvenugen »

jamiem

Re: [SOLVED] QuickTime in Win-OS/2 possible?
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 05:51:24 pm »
They are 16-bt versions of QuickTime, I managed to get it to work with the software I wanted to use by installing a newer version of QuickTime.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 06:49:12 pm »
Hi Jamie.

Which version of Quicktime for Windows 3.1 did you installed at the end?
Did you also installed win32s?

Regards
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 06:50:54 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

jamiem

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 12:29:17 am »
Oh I don't remember it came with something else.

I did not install win32s but they is a 16-bit versoin of QT.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 03:33:06 am »
Hi Jamie

Can you please check the installed Quicktime version on your Win-OS2? I ask this because I was only able to find the 2.1.2.59 version and it is not reproducing the quicktime sample for me.  (see attached) Maybe a need a different version.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

jamiem

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2020, 04:42:22 pm »
I have 2.1.0.41 and Player does not work for me either but programs that use Quicktime oddly do.

Fahrvenugen

• View Profile
Re: [SOLVED?] QuickTime in Win-OS/2 possible?
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 12:08:04 am »
I can't recall if it is needed for Quicktime for Windows 3.1 to work, but you might need Microsoft's Video For Windows runtime addon.  This also gives early .AVI support along with a slightly enhanced Microsoft Windows Media Player.

The runtime used to be available freely from Microsoft's FTP site, but it is long gone.  Do a google search for vfw11.zip and you should be able to find a download of it.  Maybe it should get uploaded to Hobbes one of these days.