Author Topic: Easy way to install fix packs  (Read 13267 times)

jamiem

Re: Easy way to install fix packs
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2020, 03:04:43 am »
What do I put for "archive path"?

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2020, 03:34:20 am »
Hi

What do I put for "archive path"?

If I don't recall it wrong is the backup folder for the old files to be replaced. Create a directory like C:\Bak\fix40 and point the archive path there. After that the tool will do all the file updating, reboot, and it may do a quick reboot on the next boot to update the locked files.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

jamiem

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2020, 07:06:48 pm »
Now I get the error found in this picture: https://flic.kr/p/2jxkvbA, they were a bunch of files with newer dates(probably from drivers I installed) and I used the versions in the fixpack, do I need to revert to the old version and do it again and not replace files with older versions. I already tried following the instructions in the error message and copying the dll to the root of my c:\ drive but that made no difference. 

(By the way, how do I revert it, if that's the best course of action)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2020, 08:13:55 pm »
Unluckily the JPG is unreadable. I'd suggest using a PNG as they seem to work better for this type of picture.

jamiem

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2020, 08:44:47 pm »
Since I am on real hardware I took a photo with my camera, it can only make JPEGs.(though my SLR can do RAW but I don't know how easily I can convert that to PNG)

The error says that the system can't load DOSCALL1.dll, as well as some BASEDEV statements.(AUTODRV2.sys, CLAUDIO.SYS, IBMSS14.SYS)

It also reports an IRQ conflict. 

I think some of those are audio drivers as Linux repair CD meses up my sound card and makes it unusable, I have to wait with the computer unplugged for a while to get it to work again. 

I don't know what the other error means though... hmm...

jamiem

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2020, 09:54:35 pm »
So far I have tried:
-> Copying the file from the original floppy disks
-> Copying the config.sys file from c:\OS2\install
Right now I am doing a check disk. I'll let you know how that goes.

jamiem

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2020, 11:12:46 pm »
Hmm it seems they might be a problem with my hard disk, I'll have to download some diagnostics but I might take a break from this stuff for a while.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2020, 12:08:15 am »
Since I am on real hardware I took a photo with my camera, it can only make JPEGs.(though my SLR can do RAW but I don't know how easily I can convert that to PNG)

I usually copy the jpg to my computer, convert to png and shrink it before uploading. Of course you need a working computer and it may well be easier in your environment to upload from the camera

The error says that the system can't load DOSCALL1.dll, as well as some BASEDEV statements.(AUTODRV2.sys, CLAUDIO.SYS, IBMSS14.SYS)

I don't know what those BASEDEV statements are for. Unless needed for your laptop, they probably don't matter.
The DOSCALL1 error is a killer. DOSCALL is the most basic part of the OS, DOSCALL0 is the kernel and DOSCALL1 may need to be close. You definitely need to use a matching DOSCALL1.DLL to uni or smp kernels. You may be able to copy doscall1.dll from your install floppies or find it in the fixpak as, IIRC, doscall.dl_ which can be unpacked with unpack.exe. It belongs in x:\os2\dll.

It also reports an IRQ conflict. 

I think some of those are audio drivers as Linux repair CD meses up my sound card and makes it unusable, I have to wait with the computer unplugged for a while to get it to work again. 

I don't know what the other error means though... hmm...

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2020, 04:01:16 am »
Hi

This is the error that I see on the link (Picture attached). You applied fixpack 40, right? I didn't have this issue no the VM I was trying out.

uhm.. not sure what can be done now....When you boot, can you press Alt+F1 when the OS/2 square box appears on top if you access the "RECOVERY OPTIONS" menu, you can you press "c" to go to the command line.  See if the drivers still exists on the C:\OS2 folder, but I'm not completely sure.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.