Author Topic: OS/2 compatible?  (Read 29392 times)

Ben

Re: OS/2 compatible?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 03:32:54 pm »
The best way to clean a computer is neither with the vacuum nor the air gun.

The best way to clean a computer is to use both.

For example, if you are cleaning your Power Supply then hold the vacuum at the output fan and use the compressed air on the inside opening/fan of the PS.

After you are finished with that, then reverse the process putting the blower outside and the vacuum inside.

Changing the direction also loosens and removes any dust that might have gotten lodged somewhere. After you think you have it all get the odd angles with the blower and you'll be fine.

The biggest risk that you have in this process, is with getting particles into your eyes, so be sure to wear goggles. Glasses help but, are not enough; the particles will get around, behind and into your eyes.

Just FYI.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 12:58:06 am »
The best way to clean a computer is to use both.

Sorry, but I disagree. DO NOT use compressed air. It will force dust into the connectors, and that causes connection problems, which can be worse than having a machine full of dust. Use only a vacuum cleaner, and don't worry about getting ALL of the dust out. Small amounts that may get left behind probably won't do any harm.

Tricky_Cat

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 05:49:46 am »
OK... I'm just trying to remove enough dust to eliminate any fire hazard.

jdeb

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 05:58:33 pm »
I build and repair hardware as a side job. Been doing it for years. I never had a problem blowing them out. I do not use a vacuum because of the potential static build up on the end piece. I have used one of these for over 10 years. I too, block the fan blades when blowing things out. Any and all fans.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/janitorial-maintenance/floor-care/computer/vacuumblowers-computersappliances-metrodatavacelectricduster-261430?infoParam.campaignId=T9A&gclid=CJ6r8cS-lLsCFSISMwodbUAA_A

If the unit won't turn on the first thing is to check and make sure it is plugged into a working outlet. Secondly, some power supplies have a rocker switch on the back, make sure that is in the correct position, doubt yours has one of those. Third, if still no power, swap out the power supply with a known working one. If it powers on, you solved the problem. I prefer to take everything out of the case and work on them.

More than likely, you will need to replace the CMOS battery but that will not prevent you from accessing the BIOS. Aptiva's used to use MWave audio cards if I recall correctly. Additionally, you will probably find bulging caps on the motherboard as well, so be prepared  for that. 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.XMWave+sound+card&_nkw=MWave+sound+card&_sacat=0&_from=R40

As a funny side note. I recently took in a repair from a chain smoker (did not realize it at the time) and when I pulled the side cover off the old Socket 939 box... I damn near threw up at the smell. All the white PCI slots where a golden brown and dust was stuck to the tar throughout the box. It was a sticky, smelly, nightmare on the inside. The guy was pretty poor and could not afford a new box. I pulled the motherboard and hung it from the rafters in my workshop and doused it with contact cleaner a few times and let it drip dry. Did the same thing on the rest of the components. The power supply housing was filled up with turd looking cotton candy... GROSS. Reassembled and it fired right up and did not have to replace a part except for the CMOS battery. It simply over-heated and shut down.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 06:03:54 pm by jdeb »

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 08:30:01 pm »
jdeb, there have been several picture horror stories shown on the Register in the past (I don't have a link, sorry) that would turn any self respecting service engineer off lunch.

The worst one we have seen was an IBM tower server that hadn't been touched in years.  It was kept under a bench at the back of the restaurant veg preparation area.  The bottom of the case was almost rusted through, the hard disks couldn't be removed because of rust and other gunge, the motherboard had been wet - there was a tide mark on it - and non of the fans turned.  The owner said that it was running slow - we wrote it off after cloning the hard disks.

jdeb

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 09:17:23 pm »
jdeb, there have been several picture horror stories shown on the Register in the past (I don't have a link, sorry) that would turn any self respecting service engineer off lunch.

The worst one we have seen was an IBM tower server that hadn't been touched in years.  It was kept under a bench at the back of the restaurant veg preparation area.  The bottom of the case was almost rusted through, the hard disks couldn't be removed because of rust and other gunge, the motherboard had been wet - there was a tide mark on it - and non of the fans turned.  The owner said that it was running slow - we wrote it off after cloning the hard disks.

Nasty... I never thought of taking pictures 8). That electrical contact cleaner did the trick. It looked like a brand new motherboard after that. It is a decent rig... Asus A8N5X, AMD 64 X4400+, 4 GB DDR400 of RAM, Dual 7900GTX in SLI, WD 320GB Sata I drive,  and an off brand Power supply that was made by Super Flower. I was shocked at the quality of it (after opening it up) being I did not recognize the brand (escapes me now). Looked up the UL and made by Super Flower and upon further investigation, make high quality power supplies in another country. I have a brand new A8N5X somewhere in my organized hoard of stuff, maybe I will pull it out and give eCS a run on it. ;). The thing runs XP like no one's business. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 09:18:59 pm by jdeb »

Tricky_Cat

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2013, 12:35:50 am »
I have no idea what all this means... I just wish I had a working laptop so I could get back to programming...

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2013, 03:45:31 am »
Sorry, the above were two people in the repair and maintenance business comparing notes.

jdeb

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2013, 04:00:58 pm »
I have no idea what all this means... I just wish I had a working laptop so I could get back to programming...

Sorry, did not mean to hijack your thread.

Tricky_Cat

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2013, 06:59:52 pm »

Sorry, did not mean to hijack your thread.
It's OK. I did get some of it... But now I don't know what to do about the dust... I don't think I need to get all the dust out... But there's so much I think it burst into flames.