Author Topic: Startup.Cmd not executing  (Read 9144 times)

Eric Erickson

• View Profile
Startup.Cmd not executing
« on: August 05, 2020, 07:34:42 pm »
This is kind of strange, on my T540P Notebook, my startup.cmd does not automatically start at boot. I have to manually execute it. Now this is the only system that this happens on. Any ideas on why this is happening or actually not happening?

Also whats the best way to figure out which version of ArcaOs I have installed? I can't remember if this was a 5.0.3 or 5.0.4 base install?

Cheers,

Joop

• View Profile
Re: Startup.Cmd not executing
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 07:47:19 pm »
I don't have a startup.cmd. Everything which has to start up is in the config.sys. Startup.cmd is just a command file and acts as every other program which has to be started manually or is started with run in the config.sys. I don't know what you have in the startup.cmd file, but see if it can migrate to the config.sys file.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 08:07:50 pm »

Also whats the best way to figure out which version of ArcaOs I have installed? I can't remember if this was a 5.0.3 or 5.0.4 base install?

Examine the \sys\install\install.flg file for installation version date and details.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 09:38:30 pm »
I assume your startup.cmd file is in the root of your boot partition.  If it isn't put it there and then check if it starts when you reboot your computer.

Eric Erickson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 06:26:57 pm »
I don't have a startup.cmd. Everything which has to start up is in the config.sys. Startup.cmd is just a command file and acts as every other program which has to be started manually or is started with run in the config.sys. I don't know what you have in the startup.cmd file, but see if it can migrate to the config.sys file.

I really don't what to do that. I use a standardized Startup.Cmd, which after basic housekeeping calls another routine on my network drives, which can not be accessed until after the system is fully booted and it attached to network devices. So I need to all be in the startup.cmd.

Eric Erickson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 06:28:28 pm »
I assume your startup.cmd file is in the root of your boot partition.  If it isn't put it there and then check if it starts when you reboot your computer.
Of course it is.  ;D This is not my first OS/2 System :) Whats strange is that this is the only system that functions this way.

Eric Erickson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 06:30:05 pm »

Examine the \sys\install\install.flg file for installation version date and details.

Neil,

Thanks, that works. Looks like it time for a little Rexx Programming to create a ArcaVer command script.

Cheers,

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 02:02:21 pm »
This is kind of strange, on my T540P Notebook, my startup.cmd does not automatically start at boot. I have to manually execute it. Now this is the only system that this happens on. Any ideas on why this is happening or actually not happening?

Cheers,

Hi Eric, also if it could be a nonsense, the following would represent my next step if I had same issue: in my OS2 Warp 4.52 I have the Startup folder (inside OS2 System folder). Every file in this folder runs automatically after the system boot.
If you have same, then try to put a copy of startup.cmd there

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2020, 03:59:15 am »

Strange indeed. One thing, that I would try, would be to create a new STARTUP.CMD file, copying the contents into it.

Heikki Kekki

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 09:03:42 am »
You could put startup.cmd to XWorkplace Startup Folder and set Initial delay and Per-object delay. On my system (ArcaOS 5.04) ePDF PrintMon object (Print2PS.cmd rexx script) didn't start at boot, when it was in OS/2 Startup folder. It could start manually. Now it is in XWorkplace Startup Folder and starts every boot. XWorkplace Startup Folder Initial delay is 3000 ms and Per-object delay is 1000 ms.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 09:07:43 am by Heikki Kekki »

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2020, 02:56:34 pm »
Just to add,
startup.cmd has to be a plain batch file. You cannot run a REXX script or a batch file that invokes a REXX script.

Eric Erickson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 07:46:12 pm »
Just to add,
startup.cmd has to be a plain batch file. You cannot run a REXX script or a batch file that invokes a REXX script.

Lars,

No it does not. I've been running my Startup.Cmd as a Rexx script since at least OS/2 V2.0, maybe even 1.3 but its been so long I can't remember.

As for the other suggestions, thats the path I'm going to try and go down. Use XWorkplace Startup or the General Startup Folder.

Cheers,

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2020, 08:53:02 pm »

Well, yes you can, but you do need to be very careful when some stupid installer modifies STARTUP.CMD for you. Often they will put their stuff at the top, which breaks the "/*  */" indicator that it is a REXX file (the first "/*" must be on the first line, in position 1, for those who may not know). A call to a REXX script will also work, and helps to avoid the "helpful installer" problem. Generally, I find it best to keep STARTUP.CMD as simple as possible, with no more than the absolute essentials.