Author Topic: CD Audio Player  (Read 7146 times)

Renee Senger

• View Profile
CD Audio Player
« on: August 10, 2020, 01:32:32 am »
Anybody know why CD Audio player ( new and classic too) go crazy, jumping from track to track and playing nothing at all. This happens with ArcaOS and with eCS 2.1. Drive (hardware) is working ok in Windows and Linux. My pc has IDE and SATA ports and I tested with an IDE drive and a SATA drive. Same result!

David Graser

• View Profile
Re: CD Audio Player
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 02:43:38 am »
Anybody know why CD Audio player ( new and classic too) go crazy, jumping from track to track and playing nothing at all. This happens with ArcaOS and with eCS 2.1. Drive (hardware) is working ok in Windows and Linux. My pc has IDE and SATA ports and I tested with an IDE drive and a SATA drive. Same result!

Hi Renee

Neither play on my ArcaOS system.  I never noticed before because I use PM123.  Also VLC plays CDs.

https://ecsoft2.org/pm123

This is the one I use.

http://www.5nets.ru/downloads/pm123/pm123-1_40.exe
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 02:47:23 am by David Graser »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 03:06:11 am »

Yes, the new player doesn't support digital transfer and the classic needs it set under the View menu.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 03:11:00 am »
Hi Renee

No problems using the CD Player (Classic) here on ArcaOS - eCS also used to work OK. I do not bother with the newer CD Player as my dvd drives are setup to use Digital Transfer which the newer player does not support.

As the same hardware - and CD? - are working in Windows I can only guess there may be something wrong with the driver load order in config.sys or the mmpm2.ini file. You may want to post the config.sys to see if anyone can spot a problem, same applies to the \MMOS2\MMPM2.INI file which can sometimes get munged.

Regards

Pete

Renee Senger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 05:12:18 pm »
Yes, the new player doesn't support digital transfer and the classic needs it set under the View menu.

Thanks Dave. Setting "Digital transfer" in the View menu of CD Player (Classic) works with this player.

Renee Senger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 08:32:38 pm »

Thanks Dave. Setting "Digital transfer" in the View menu of CD Player (Classic) works with this player.

For information only - If you like the Chris Wohlgemuth CD player (in place of Classic Player) connect a drive audio cable to analog audio output of your drive IDE or SCSI (SATA drives does not have it anymore) to analog audio input of your motherboard sound interface or similar input of your offboard sound card.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 01:04:44 am »
If you like the Chris Wohlgemuth CD player (in place of Classic Player) connect a drive audio cable to analog audio output of your drive IDE or SCSI (SATA drives does not have it anymore) to analog audio input of your motherboard sound interface or similar input of your offboard sound card.
Analog input works, but that results in more hum. As already written, the only CD player that supports digital transfer, is the IBM player.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 11:26:46 pm »
As already written, the only CD player that supports digital transfer, is the IBM player.

That is incorrect. PM123 (from HOBBES) uses digital transfer. I use it all the time, on multiple machines. I believe that VLC will also use digital transfer, but I don't have it installed, at the moment, to be sure. Many new machines, and sound cards, don't even have a place to plug in an analog cable.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 12:43:09 am »
Yes, VLC supports digital transfer