Public Discussions > Off Topic discussions

Powerline combo with POE?

(1/3) > >>

Mathias:
Going away from Wifi (also due to Warpnes) I've tried out Powerline dapters in our familiy for couching in the evening.
We came to the conclusion: That stuff rocks, even with android tablets!

The connection is WAY better and lag free, especially when our son is playing tablet online games. ; )

Problem is though, the USB LAN adapter s*cks out more tablet battery power than the Wifi connection. (No problem for Notebooks though.)
That leads to one problem... you can use Powerline until the tablet battery runs out. Then wifi needs to be re-enabled and an USB charger needs to be connected, so the tablet does not die due to power shortagae.

So I came to the question, is there something such like PowerLine with Power over Ethernet (POE)? - And YES there is. - Cool! *__*
But.. are there also USB LAN "cards" supported by Android that can make use of POE LAN?
If so, you'd be able to even CHARGE the tablet while using the network without mobile data or wifi, but with Powerline + POE. How cool would that be?!

Did anybody have experiences with that already?

Dave Yeo:
Could you use a USB hub?

ivan:
Hi Mathias,

A few observations.  I assume you have been using the WiFi from your internet router and not a professional grade EAP.  If that is correct it does explain your problems with multiple wireless connections.

As far as I know there is no POE USB lan adapters and even if there were they would not be of use to you (POE is usually 32 volts and yout tablets need 5 volts for charging).

It appears that you need something like the "Micro USB HUB Adaptor with Power" except with the correct plug for the tablets.  You can then plug in the tablet charger as well as the USB lan adapter and carry on as you have been (just be careful of all the cables  ;) )

Mathias:
That USB hub is awesome. xD - Never seen anything like that.
Looks like some kind of power injection to USB. - I knew there are power injectors for twisted pair, but for USB also? Nice! :D

Hmm.. worth a try for 10 EUR.. - If that works, this could be a solution.
Thank you guys for giving this a thought!

ivan, nope it's just a third party TPLink Access Point. My ISP's router does not offer Wifi in its' current mode.
Would you say that a better wifi router could overpower the other wifi networks around?
I mean.. I can scroll through a looong list on wifi networks near by. :o
Appears like eeeeverybody here tries to wifi his way through all the others.
Debugging with a wifi detector app, I can see the networks are everywhere.. on all frequencies.
And sometimes some neighbours even have better range than I do (standing nebrary to my access point! at 100% maxed send power allowed in DE)

I mean, sure I could start or join the antenna war. (Who's got the biggest one?? :p) - But I'd rather go a different way. Should also be more healthy than wifi rays all day at work AND at home at all times.
There still are rays from all the neighbours, but rather than participating, I'd try the good old cable way. hehe

Andi B.:

--- Quote ---But I'd rather go a different way. Should also be more healthy than wifi rays all day at work AND at home at all times.
There still are rays from all the neighbours, but rather than participating, I'd try the good old cable way. hehe
--- End quote ---

As long as people use mobile phones you really shouldn't care about radiation from WIFI or DECT devices. They all transmit lower power by magnitudes compared to mobile phones. OTOH with WIFI you know the radiated power as it is limited by regulations. With Powerline there is also a lot of radiation but you don't know the levels cause it depends on the antenna. Which in this case is your private power line cable installation running through your rooms.

The only 'good old cable way' would be Ethernet on defined cables like CAT5 or similar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version