Author Topic: Question about USB Audio (Input / Output).  (Read 24291 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Question about USB Audio (Input / Output).
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2020, 01:26:47 am »
Now I hope that someone with experience call tell me if the Audio USB input is supported or not.
Yes. Both playback and recording are supported with the Lars Erdmann USB 10.234 audio drivers.

Any suggestion for audio recording software. I'm using the one includes on ArcaOS 5.0.5 (Digital Audio), but for the moment I was not able to get input audio from the USB device. (But it records from the non-USB mic input jack)

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2020, 09:16:52 am »
Now I hope that someone with experience call tell me if the Audio USB input is supported or not.
Yes. Both playback and recording are supported with the Lars Erdmann USB 10.234 audio drivers.

Any suggestion for audio recording software. I'm using the one includes on ArcaOS 5.0.5 (Digital Audio), but for the moment I was not able to get input audio from the USB device. (But it records from the non-USB mic input jack)

Regards

Hi Martin,

Perhaps DRECORD or DTAPE or even my own Audio Recorder to record up to 32 bit stereo at 384kHz. ?

Regards
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 09:57:01 am by Wim Brul »

Sean Casey

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2020, 01:34:59 am »
1) Make sure you use the USB audio driver(s) from <DVD>:\CID\SERVER\ARCAPKG\USBAUD2.WPI. That is the one that gets installed with a NEW install. The other one, that gets installed with an UPDATE install is garbage.

Hi,

I purchased the UGREEN adapter (Model 30521) on Amazon which has a C-Media CM6533 chipset.  I believe it's a 2.0 device.  Linux identifies the hardware ID as 0d8c:0024.  Using the above audio drivers, I only receive white noise.  I have tried Lars' USBAUD2.SYS drivers and don't hear anything. I suspect this is a non-supported chipset.   

I see Amazon sells the Syba adapter (Model SD-CM-UAUD) that has the device ID 0D8C:0008 which Martin has identified to work. 

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2020, 06:01:22 am »
The UGREEN unit looks like a USB audio 1. Simple mono input, low quality stereo output.

USB Audio 2.0 looks like a DJ mixing station. In fact, I think that is what most of them are used for.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Sean Casey

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2020, 06:42:31 am »
The UGREEN unit looks like a USB audio 1. Simple mono input, low quality stereo output.

USB Audio 2.0 looks like a DJ mixing station. In fact, I think that is what most of them are used for.

Thanks for the added info. The product description referred to a "Input USB 2.0 A" but was silent on the output.  Not knowing anything about USB audio, I assumed I needed a 2.0 driver.  I'll spend more time with a 1.0 driver.  If no joy, I'll order the SYB product which states it's "USB Audio Device Class Specification 1.0" and has a vendor/device ID that has been reported by Martin to work.

I'm looking forward to finally getting sound on VMware OS/2.  I thought I was stuck with broken virtualized audio and wasn't thinking USB passthrough until I saw these recent posts on USB audio.       

Sean Casey

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2020, 07:06:14 am »
Excellent, my first sounds from OS/2 under VMware!!!  I changed to the USB Audio 1.0 driver and then in Multimedia Setup, I deselected the UAC2 Adapter and selected the USB Adapter.  However, the dsk_*.wav files are distorted?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 07:26:40 am by Sean Casey »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2020, 07:43:49 am »
The system wav files are low bit rate IIRC, though I thought Wim and Lars fixed the driver to upscale them.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2020, 10:23:39 am »
Yes, the 10.234 drivers do the necessary upsampling,channel duplication,bit conversion in order to properly play these old WAV files. But to be sure that everything works, you need to go through the whole USB audio installation and not only copy the drivers because some updates to the MMPM Subsystem are also necessary.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2020, 02:58:55 am »
Excellent, my first sounds from OS/2 under VMware!!!  I changed to the USB Audio 1.0 driver and then in Multimedia Setup, I deselected the UAC2 Adapter and selected the USB Adapter.  However, the dsk_*.wav files are distorted?

That's good Sean. I will  add the UGREEN adapter (Model 30521)  (C-Media CM6533 chipset) 0d8c:0024 on the OS2World wiki. Let me know if you want to add any remarks.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Sean Casey

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2020, 05:34:01 pm »
I will  add the UGREEN adapter (Model 30521)  (C-Media CM6533 chipset) 0d8c:0024 on the OS2World wiki.

You might want to wait as I'm still looking into resolving my issue with low bit rate WAV files.   Using a fresh ArcaOS install with Lars' latest drivers didn't resolve the issue, so either I'm doing something wrong, or the CM6533 is only partially supported.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2020, 07:45:31 pm »
There is no "partially" supported. An USB audio device typically supports a limited number of sample rates, channels and bit depths. Usually, that is only one: 44.1 kHz, 16-bits, 2 channels or maybe 48 kHz, 16-bits, 2 channels. Especially the cheapo ones.

The USB audio drivers are always able to convert about any WAV input file in practical use to that target format. If that does not work, you have likely not fully installed the USB audio drivers (including additional components that they update).

Look at the WAV file you have problems with. What sample rate, bit depth, num channels does it have ?

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2020, 10:24:48 pm »
It appears that your UGREEN adapter (Model 30521)  (C-Media CM6533 chipset) 0d8c:0024 works with synchronous endpoints.
That is if the lsusb report that I found on the internet is the proper one for your device. You might want to run "lsusb -d 0d8c:0024 -v" to verify that.
Perhaps in some way that is causing the problem. Most UAC1 compliant adapters use adaptive endpoints.

Sean Casey

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2020, 11:00:28 pm »
Hi,

Wim, I generate the identical output, so it's the same.  I read that adaptive type devices run at exactly the speed the PC sends the data, within  their operating range, while synchronous devices slave to a provided clock signal and typically operate at fixed or a limited number of data rates.

Lars,  I am having problems with files having the following characteristics.

soxi dsk_opnw.wav

Input File     : 'dsk_opnw.wav'
Channels       : 1
Sample Rate    : 22050
Precision      : 16-bit
Duration       : 00:00:01.32 = 29216 samples ~ 99.3741 CDDA sectors
File Size      : 58.5k
Bit Rate       : 353k
Sample Encoding: 16-bit Signed Integer PCM

These work fine:

soxi applause.wav

Input File     : 'applause.wav'
Channels       : 1
Sample Rate    : 11025
Precision      : 8-bit
Duration       : 00:00:02.19 = 24091 samples ~ 163.884 CDDA sectors
File Size      : 24.1k
Bit Rate       : 88.4k
Sample Encoding: 8-bit Unsigned Integer PCM

There isn't a big selection of packages from which to choose while installing ArcaOS 5.0.5, I'm not sure what I might have missed.  I then applied your usbdrv234, following directions.

I have a C-Media CM119 device coming tomorrow.  That should tell me if it's something I borked during set up, or if it's a problem with the CM655 chip.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 11:01:29 pm by Sean Casey »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2020, 01:12:54 am »
If worst comes to worst, there's always the option of upconverting the wav files to 44.1kHz.

Sean Casey

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2020, 03:37:18 am »
If worst comes to worst, there's always the option of upconverting the wav files to 44.1kHz.

For the moment, I like your suggestion and have transcoded all the files.  I first tried using Saracon, which couldn't read the files, but dBpoweramp had no problem.

I'll test my setup with the other C-Media adapter I have coming tomorrow to determine if the CM6533 is the problem.