OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Multimedia

Audigy 2 ZS Notebook

(1/3) > >>

Renee Senger:
Althougt my Lenovo Thinkpad T61 has PCMCIA interface (based in Ricoh RL5C746) supported by OS/2 (ArcaOS 5.0.5) with Intel PCIC driver, I never tried anything as I didn't have any PCMCIA card to test. Now I get a Creative Audigy 2 ZS Notebook and I decided to test.

With the card plugged, there are no errors advices and I can see that the system identifies a card plugged, but has no idea that is a sound card. The Plug-in application for pcmcia identifies as a "memory card ready to use" ?

As with linux (Ubuntu 12.10-32bit- Alsa 1.0.24 based -Live CD) this card works whithout problems, I am thinking if its about OS/2 pcmcia driver capabilities or Uniaud.

Doug Bissett:
I think you have a lot of reading to do. PCMCIA is an interface to plug in cards. You also need a driver for the plug in card. Not ot mention that PCMCIA doesn't work very well.

--- Quote ---(based in Ricoh RL5C746)
--- End quote ---

I may be wrong, but this device is more likely to be an SD card reader, with nothing to do with PCMCIA.

--- Quote ---With the card plugged, there are no errors advices and I can see that the system identifies a card plugged, but has no idea that is a sound card.
--- End quote ---

That is normal, if you don't have the device driver installed for the device (the required driver may not exist). It can also be normal, if the device has more than one interface.

--- Quote ---As with linux
--- End quote ---

Linux will tell you nothing about OS/2 PCMCIA. They are completely different.

--- Quote ---Now I get a Creative Audigy 2 ZS Notebook and I decided to test.
--- End quote ---

Again, I may be wrong, but Creative Audigy is a sound card, not a notebook. Perhaps you worded this poorly?

If you mean that it is a PCMCIA card, with Creative Audigy sound chip, it may work with the UniAud driver (if UniAud supports that specific chip on a PCMCIA card). There could be a problem, because the card will probably need to be mounted in PCMCIA, before the UniAud driver is loaded. I am not sure if that is possible.

Start by plugging in the card, and get the output from PCI.EXE (C:\sys\install\DETECT\pci.exe in ArcaOS), and post it. Then, we can see what you actually have, and somebody may know the answer.

Martin Iturbide:
Hi Renee

I have zero experience with PCMCIA sound cards. I tried to find any reference to the Creative Audigy 2 ZS PCMCIA Card and OS/2, to see if there were any drivers, but I haven't found anything yet. I'm not sure if there where any PCMCIA sound card available for OS/2 to see if those drivers will work by any luck. 

Is the one that you have the one that I attached here?

Regards

Renee Senger:

--- Quote from: Doug Bissett on August 23, 2020, 08:16:08 pm ---I think you have a lot of reading to do. PCMCIA is an interface to plug in cards. You also need a driver for the plug in card. Not ot mention that PCMCIA doesn't work very well.

--- Quote ---(based in Ricoh RL5C746)
--- End quote ---

I may be wrong, but this device is more likely to be an SD card reader, with nothing to do with PCMCIA.

--- Quote ---
Ricoh R/RL/5C476(II) is a Cardbus controller for PCMCIA adapters. Lenovo Thinkpad T61 have PCMCIA and SD Card Reader side by side. I am not talking about the Card Reader.

--- Quote ---
That is normal, if you don't have the device driver installed for the device (the required driver may not exist). It can also be normal, if the device has more than one interface.

--- Quote ---
According http://www.os2ss.com/users/DrMartinus/nbdriver.htm , Ricoh RL5C476 chipset is supported by the Intel PCIC driver in Warp 4, so this driver was installed as I told from Notebook options of ArcaOS installation program. What I comment is the fact that PC Card Director not identifies the card as what really is

--- Quote ---
Again, I may be wrong, but Creative Audigy is a sound card, not a notebook. Perhaps you worded this poorly?

--- Quote ---
Audigy 2 ZS Notebook is the commercial name used by Creative for this card. I think you have a lot of reading about Creative Labs products.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Renee Senger:

--- Quote from: Martin Iturbide on August 23, 2020, 10:17:55 pm ---Hi Renee

I have zero experience with PCMCIA sound cards. I tried to find any reference to the Creative Audigy 2 ZS PCMCIA Card and OS/2, to see if there were any drivers, but I haven't found anything yet. I'm not sure if there where any PCMCIA sound card available for OS/2 to see if those drivers will work by any luck. 

Is the one that you have the one that I attached here?

Regards

--- End quote ---

Hi Martin, that is the the card! "Creative Audigy 2 ZS Notebook"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version