Author Topic: Just started to dabble in os/2 again  (Read 17933 times)

Jim

• View Profile
Just started to dabble in os/2 again
« on: August 26, 2020, 04:01:38 am »
Been doing that since 2.1. But had not used it in years.
I, of course, have a question. It appears now that there is a version called "Arce Noae" or something like that. It also appears to be a Linux distribution. As someone who has dinked with Linux for years I gave up on it about 6 months ago because it was inconsistent and flaky.
That's why I went back to OS/2 to see if it would allow me to just be a user and not an engineer.
I have OS/2 up and running now and am trying to see if it can be my daily driver.
This is my question when reading on the internet about something how do know if things like applications work under OS/2 or Arce Noea. 
The appear to be all mixed together.
Thanks, jim

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
Re: Just started to dabble in os/2 again
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 04:34:13 am »
Hi Jim
Arca OS (as you call it, Arca Noae) is not a Linux distribution but for the sake simplicity a heavily updated/modernized Warp 4.52. As for daily use, once you've configured your environment to your preference and gotten over the slight learning curve - it's quite a breeze for the most part.

I'd have to say the biggest shortcoming is the lack of an up-to-date web browser (We're currently stuck on Firefox 45.9.0) but there is a new Chromium based browser by BitWiseWorks which might be ready in the near future.

From personal experience, if you want the easiest user experience as a daily driver without too many hiccups, it's seriously worth looking into using Arca OS rather than using OS/2 Warp.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 05:42:34 am »
Yes, ArcaOS, put out by Arca Noae, is an OEM release of OS/2, licensed from IBM. Updated drivers so it mostly runs on modern hardware, uses all cores, supports lots of hardware and has pretty good support. If you want to seriously use OS/2, an upgrade to ArcaOS may be worth the cost. There is also a subscription option for most of the updated/new device drivers to install on older OS/2.
It does have a few Linux ports, which use YUM/RPM or the frontend ANPM (Arca Noae Package Manager) as due to a shortage of developers, it is much simpler to port something then to write it from scratch.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 02:19:25 pm »
Hi Jim

Let's us known which OS/2 version are you running and what do you want to do, maybe we can suggest you some software available according on what do need.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 06:29:34 am »
I am using OS/2 4.52.  I am pretty well soured on UNIX/Linux other then a server. And even then it is a chore. Every time I turn around something is updated and it requires other things to be updated. Programs are not packaged complete. I install a program and in about 25% of the cases it disaperes. Some other cases it is not on a menu anywhere.
If I can find it I have to identify the executable.
My point is a am old and crotchety and my memory is shot. I just want it to work for the things I want to do. Email, web browsing and a spreadsheet.
I think that's it I think I have Internet connectivity but there isn't a web browser included that will show much of anything.
There is no email client but there is Lotus Smartsuite  and that works.
Anyway, my needs are minimal but I have no interest in learning .  I am changing from a programmer to a user.
If you can help that's great if not DOS here I come.

Matt Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 05:34:33 pm »
Seems you are interested in e-mail so you could use your web browser to access it in some cases or a Thunderbird for OS/2 version is available or PM Mail is pretty up to date this year and does well as a text email program.  Current Spreadsheet available in Apache Open Office 4 .17 version for OS/2 from BitWise Works.  Hope you feel free to let us know if we can help.
Matt W.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 06:02:36 pm »
Hi Jim

It would be desirable if you get ArcaOS, which pre-install some of the software you need, drivers and bugfixes of OS/2 Warp 4.52. But I do understand if you want to test OS/2 Warp 4.52 first, before jumping into the ArcaOS wagon.

My recommendation for you would be.
1) Install OS/2 Warp 4.52 on a machine that you have and let's try to work out the drivers that you require. You can open a different forum thread specificing your hardware, telling your experience on installing Warp 4.52, any problems and what is missing to be configured, so we can help out.

2) You will need to install some basic tools to improve the experience and include some libraries (remember that Warp 4.52 was released on 2002). I like WarpIN, XWorkplace, ANPM between some other you may like to install.

3) For e-mail we have Thundebird or PMMail

4) For web browsing we have Firefox 45.

5) For Office tools there is Lotus SmartSuite or Apache OpenOffice (donation required).

The issue with Waro 4.52 is that it will take you time to settle that up, while with ArcaOS a lot of software needed is already pre-installed.

Regards
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 06:04:20 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 06:27:14 pm »
Hi

I forget about one thing. If you want to experience OS/2 on VirtualBox first you can do it. There are some OVA images (prebuilt images) you can try from here.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2020, 05:44:15 am »
I have done that and am currently running that in a VM. It says it is 4.5.2.  I have 3 CDs from eCommstation 1.
I use that for files when I can find them.  I have been using cd images to transport data back and forth. That is unreliable.
I would like to get USB working and it appears I have the drivers but I don't know how to install them.  If you could help with that I would appreciate it.
Thanks Jim

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2020, 07:57:11 am »
Simplest and best if you don't want to pay for an Arca Noae subscription is to download https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/drivers/usb/usbdrv234.zip
and follow the readme instructions. These are up to date with a lot of fixes and Lars hangs out here and is quite helpful.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2020, 12:22:51 pm »
Hi Jim, my personal experience as average user, having re-joined OS2 Warp 4.52 after 25 years, consists in almost all what described by Martin.
My 2 cents suggestions are:

-with Warp 4.52 go for a VirtualBox guest machine -not real hardware- as it best interfaces to all host peripherals. I read you already thought it

-choose a ready "first run" .vdi file, avoiding complications with media installation issues. Find a good one here:
https://archive.org/details/VMOS2Warp4.52   just needs to be imported in VirtualBox, then run the vm and it works.

-you will enhance the W4.52 guest machine usability by providing the VB Guest Additions for OS2 with the package adapted by Valery Sedletski   ftp://osfree.org/upload/vbox/additions/VBoxAdditions-os2-x86-5.0.51.r218.zip

-Software installation/integration will be much more easier than it use to be 25 years ago, if you install ANPM (a packages downloader/installer from repositories) which provides all required dependencies, just same as it works in Linux distributions for software installation.  Also WarpIn and InnoTek installers should be considered for the many software packages distributed in that format. Look: WarpIn is required to install ANPM

-Java OpenJDK (version GA 1.6.0)  installation will give you the possibility to run a multiplatform and wide choice of recent software packed in .JAR , mostly ready to be executed in a standalone file.  Visit  https://joopn.home.xs4all.nl/os2ecs/ecs6e.htm

-if you are looking for a free and quick installable Office suite I would suggest Staroffice 5.1 in addition to what Martin mentioned.
I find it still makes a good job especially for wordprocessing and format compatibility
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 12:36:44 pm by mauro »

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2020, 02:45:08 pm »

I would like to get USB working and it appears I have the drivers but I don't know how to install them.  If you could help with that I would appreciate it.
Thanks Jim

in the guest OS2 VirtualBox machine you can  import/export files from/to host system also by activating the Shared Folder functionality (must implement OS2 Guest Additions for that), and/or installing Samba + NetDrive for external volumes browsing.
I also started using .iso format plugged to the guest machine as initial import method for files, just the time needed to implement the above described funcionalities

Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2020, 07:42:21 am »
This is a reply to all of the last 3-5 responses to me.  None of this is working.  I need a reliable way of getting files from Host to guest.  Otherwise it is just a lot of flaying around and getting nowhere.
I have gotten .iso's to transfer but I don't know why some will and some wont.
The VBOX additions I tried didn't work, it was expecting some sort of unix file system, which I don't have.
I have spent a long time with computers, about 45 years, and I have seen too much of abandonware and vaporware in my life.  I won't spend anything more to get something that will fix everything but fixes nothing.
I gave OS/2 a long ride but I guess that's over.
The only thing that is constant is good old DOS.  The DOS in OS/2 as a matter of fact, if I can't get files of and on what is the point.
Sorry, to be such a negative person but all I want is something that will take me through my elder years without a lot of wasted motion.
Thank You all for trying to help.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2020, 07:55:35 am »
There's always the old standby, ftp.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2020, 09:48:19 am »

The VBOX additions I tried didn't work, it was expecting some sort of unix file system, which I don't have.

Have you followed the readme.txt instructions placed in the /doc folder of the GA zip file contents?
There is a description of the case of missing UNIX port tree:

"In case you haven't installed the UNIX ports tree, you'll
need to create the "/usr/lib" subdirectory on some of your drives and
add this drive to "set unixroot=d:" env. variable in your "config.sys".
(you could just copy the files to your boot drive as they are on the
Additions ISO, preserving paths)."

I agree that OS2 Guest Additions require patience and step-by-step instructions following, it has been tricky to me also before getting them working, unfortunately they are not yet packed in a self installer .
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 12:45:42 pm by mauro »