Author Topic: Just started to dabble in os/2 again  (Read 17941 times)

Jim

• View Profile
Re: Just started to dabble in os/2 again
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2020, 02:15:42 am »
The critical part Is generally I can't get anything from outside the VM to inside.  So at this point I am stuck and can't go on.
If I had the capability of setting up some way of getting things back and and forth I could press on.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2020, 02:41:59 am »
Hi Jim

I have a Windows 10 host and a ArcaOS 5.0.6 Guest on VirtualBox. I share files from Windows 10 Host to the ArcaOS Guest.
You can use VirtualBox Guest Addons on ArcaOS and you have two options:
1) The Official VirtualBox Guest Addons allows you to access a host directory with the command line
2) The Unofficial VirtualBox Guest Addons allows you to access a host directory from the WPS. (GUI).

I use the Unofficial VirtualBox Guest Addons from here: ftp://ftp.osfree.org/upload/vbox/additions/VBoxAdditions-os2-x86-5.0.51.r218.zip

The other options is using SAMBA like it was posted before.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Sean Casey

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2020, 03:00:17 am »
The critical part Is generally I can't get anything from outside the VM to inside.  So at this point I am stuck and can't go on.

Hi Jim,

Linux can be pure hell to use if the distribution's packages are poorly maintained causing the system to break after updates.  Some distributions are well maintained and can be great to work with.

I assume your VM host is Linux.  As a short term fix, until you get your OS/2 networking working with your host, you can transfer files into your VM OS/2 guest by placing your files in an ISO image and mounting the ISO image on your VM OS/2 guest.   With Linux, you can easily create an ISO image containing your files using the following command:

$ mkisofs -o [filename.iso] [directory_path]

-o [filename.iso] defines the file name of the ISO image you want to create

[directory_path] is the directory containing the files you want to store in the ISO image

Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2020, 04:49:19 am »
Got that solved discovered how to make a legal iso file on a Mac.
But, it seems, one step forward equals one step.  I have lost the "Drives" object. Using the CLI the D: drive is there and all the file are correct.
Any ideas how to correct the missing object.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2020, 11:58:39 am »
Got that solved discovered how to make a legal iso file on a Mac.
But, it seems, one step forward equals one step.  I have lost the "Drives" object. Using the CLI the D: drive is there and all the file are correct.
Any ideas how to correct the missing object.

can you please specify on which host system are you handling this OS2 virtual machine?

Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2020, 02:13:41 am »
Mac OSX 10.7.5

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2020, 10:01:16 am »
I was thinking about giving you a copy of my .vdi virtual machine which has some ready configurations including the unofficial Guest Additions 218 (which would make the shared folder work in the PM volumes gadget), Samba+Netdrive and other implementations, having no privacy issue as I do not keep any personal file in this guest machine.
But then you would face some other issues mainly consisting in the italian choosen language personalization of the system as well as the timezone and keyboard. Futhermore I cannot be helpful about configuration elements in Macos.
If you think after all this is affordable, tell me.

Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2020, 08:15:37 pm »
I think the Italian localization would be a major problem for me.  I do appreciate the offer.

Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2020, 04:07:56 am »
Sorry for the long delay,  thought I should finish up so other people who may be trying to help can move along with their lives.
I cant muster the patience or knowledge to perssist.
Thanks, all