Public Discussions > General Discussion

Thunderbird e-mail client

(1/7) > >>

Renee Senger:
Does anyone know how to access a GMAIL IMAP account with the last version of Mozilla Thunderbird ?

My gmail account is set up with Security -> Third-party apps with account access -> Mozilla Thunderbird Email has access to Gmail

Every time I try to access a "New sign-in on Unknown OS" appears in "Recent security activity" and nothing that is on the IMAP server is downloaded.

I have 2-Step Verification enabled but Thunderbird works in Windows and Linux without issues. Is possible make it work?

Pete2:
Hi Renee. I haven't yet found any alternative to turning on 'access for less secure apps' in google settings. I've also changed Thunderbird's security setting to (IIRC) password, securely transmitted. Google doesn't like this, but so far the sky hasn't fallen on my head.

Dave Yeo:
Last time I tried with Thunderbird, it worked fine. Currently I use pop to connect with Thunderbird, which other then occasionally getting a security warning from Google, works fine.
I also have SeaMonkey set to use imap with Gmail, which just works whenever I need it and enter my password. Google has never complained about it.
Server, imap.gmail.com, port 993
Connection type, SSL/TLS with a normal password
Don't remember having set anything at Google to allow this to work.
Does anything show up in the Error Console under Tools about it?

Remy:

--- Quote from: Renee Senger on August 27, 2020, 09:04:38 pm ---Does anyone know how to access a GMAIL IMAP account with the last version of Mozilla Thunderbird ?

My gmail account is set up with Security -> Third-party apps with account access -> Mozilla Thunderbird Email has access to Gmail

Every time I try to access a "New sign-in on Unknown OS" appears in "Recent security activity" and nothing that is on the IMAP server is downloaded.

I have 2-Step Verification enabled but Thunderbird works in Windows and Linux without issues. Is possible make it work?

--- End quote ---

I had the same issue,
It only works using SSL/TLS and NORMAL PASSWORD (any other option will make it hung...)

Renee Senger:

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on August 28, 2020, 12:53:14 am ---Last time I tried with Thunderbird, it worked fine. Currently I use pop to connect with Thunderbird, which other then occasionally getting a security warning from Google, works fine.
I also have SeaMonkey set to use imap with Gmail, which just works whenever I need it and enter my password. Google has never complained about it.
Server, imap.gmail.com, port 993
Connection type, SSL/TLS with a normal password
Don't remember having set anything at Google to allow this to work.
Does anything show up in the Error Console under Tools about it?

--- End quote ---

Hi Dave, Error console in Tools menu shows what is in the attached file!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version