Author Topic: Thunderbird e-mail client  (Read 23198 times)

Renee Senger

• View Profile
Thunderbird e-mail client
« on: August 27, 2020, 09:04:38 pm »
Does anyone know how to access a GMAIL IMAP account with the last version of Mozilla Thunderbird ?

My gmail account is set up with Security -> Third-party apps with account access -> Mozilla Thunderbird Email has access to Gmail

Every time I try to access a "New sign-in on Unknown OS" appears in "Recent security activity" and nothing that is on the IMAP server is downloaded.

I have 2-Step Verification enabled but Thunderbird works in Windows and Linux without issues. Is possible make it work?

Pete2

• View Profile
Re: Thunderbird e-mail client
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 11:08:39 pm »
Hi Renee. I haven't yet found any alternative to turning on 'access for less secure apps' in google settings. I've also changed Thunderbird's security setting to (IIRC) password, securely transmitted. Google doesn't like this, but so far the sky hasn't fallen on my head.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 12:53:14 am »
Last time I tried with Thunderbird, it worked fine. Currently I use pop to connect with Thunderbird, which other then occasionally getting a security warning from Google, works fine.
I also have SeaMonkey set to use imap with Gmail, which just works whenever I need it and enter my password. Google has never complained about it.
Server, imap.gmail.com, port 993
Connection type, SSL/TLS with a normal password
Don't remember having set anything at Google to allow this to work.
Does anything show up in the Error Console under Tools about it?

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 09:42:56 pm »
Does anyone know how to access a GMAIL IMAP account with the last version of Mozilla Thunderbird ?

My gmail account is set up with Security -> Third-party apps with account access -> Mozilla Thunderbird Email has access to Gmail

Every time I try to access a "New sign-in on Unknown OS" appears in "Recent security activity" and nothing that is on the IMAP server is downloaded.

I have 2-Step Verification enabled but Thunderbird works in Windows and Linux without issues. Is possible make it work?

I had the same issue,
It only works using SSL/TLS and NORMAL PASSWORD (any other option will make it hung...)

Renee Senger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 04:33:55 am »
Last time I tried with Thunderbird, it worked fine. Currently I use pop to connect with Thunderbird, which other then occasionally getting a security warning from Google, works fine.
I also have SeaMonkey set to use imap with Gmail, which just works whenever I need it and enter my password. Google has never complained about it.

Hi Dave, Error console in Tools menu shows what is in the attached file!

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 04:56:53 am »
Nothing unusual there.

Renee Senger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 05:21:27 am »
Nothing unusual there.

I tried now to set up a yahoo email account with the automatic  setup and thunderbird literally exploded at the end (DONE bottom). After new load Error Console show:

Timestamp: 29/08/20 01:12:02
Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIMsgFolder.getStringProperty]"  nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://messenger/content/folderPane.js :: getSmartFolderName :: line 2780"  data: no]
Source File: chrome://messenger/content/folderPane.js
Line: 2782

Renee Senger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 06:02:50 am »
Now I decided to set up an Outlook e-mail account. What happened? Nothing! All working as expected by automatic setup without any manual changes. I never imagined that a Microsoft product was a solution. I was not using this account and in fact it was only created for digital licence I have of W10. Now it seems I will have to redirect may GMail emails to Outlook if I want to use Thunderbird...

TROUBLESHOOTING INFORMATION SCREEN

Application Basics

Name: Thunderbird
    Version: 45.8.0
    User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; Warp 4.5; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/45.8.0
    Profile Directory: Open Directory

(Unknown location)
    Application Build ID: 20200322201630
    Enabled Plugins: about:plugins
    Build Configuration: about:buildconfig
    Memory Use: about:memory

Mail and News Accounts
    account1:
      INCOMING: account1, , (imap) outlook.office365.com:993, SSL, passwordCleartext
      OUTGOING: , smtp.office365.com:587, alwaysSTARTTLS, passwordCleartext, true

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2020, 01:17:49 pm »

Hi Dave, Error console in Tools menu shows what is in the attached file!

You have to allow imap connections under gmail (parameters...)
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229?hl=en
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 01:19:30 pm by Remy »

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2020, 09:29:45 pm »
Now I decided to set up an Outlook e-mail account. What happened? Nothing! All working as expected by automatic setup without any manual changes. I never imagined that a Microsoft product was a solution. I was not using this account and in fact it was only created for digital licence I have of W10. Now it seems I will have to redirect may GMail emails to Outlook if I want to use Thunderbird...

Application Basics

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; Warp 4.5; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/45.8.0

(Unknown location)

Mail and News Accounts
    account1:

Rather than passwrodCleartext, choose OAuth2. That is what I use here, and had to change to some time ago.

Renee Senger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 12:19:28 am »

Application Basics

(Unknown location)

Mail and News Accounts
    account1:

Rather than passwrodCleartext, choose OAuth2. That is what I use here, and had to change to some time ago.eternal

Hi Andy,

I have already tried with both types of password transmission with same result - account setup ends at an eternal " checking password". I don't think it's a Google problem. I have Thunderbird working with the same mail accounts in Linux and Windows (version 68.12.0). I think OS/2 Thunderbird/45.8.0 does not send the password correctly to Google.

Below the steps until the eternal " checking password"...

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2020, 01:05:07 am »
Weird, something has changed as I see the same thing here. Have to test with a newer NSS.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2020, 02:40:49 am »
Ok, a newer NSS didn't make any difference, so back to using netlabs-rel version of NSS.
I created a new profile, clicked use my existing email, entered name, email and password, then continue, then pressed the Manual config button and chose normal password for the authentication and it worked to access my Gmail over imap.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2020, 08:55:45 am »

Application Basics

(Unknown location)

Mail and News Accounts
    account1:

Rather than passwrodCleartext, choose OAuth2. That is what I use here, and had to change to some time ago.eternal

Hi Andy,

I have already tried with both types of password transmission with same result - account setup ends at an eternal " checking password". I don't think it's a Google problem. I have Thunderbird working with the same mail accounts in Linux and Windows (version 68.12.0). I think OS/2 Thunderbird/45.8.0 does not send the password correctly to Google.

Below the steps until the eternal " checking password"...

Just change authentification to "normal pasword"  as I previously wrote, only working option

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2020, 08:57:05 am »
Ok, a newer NSS didn't make any difference, so back to using netlabs-rel version of NSS.
I created a new profile, clicked use my existing email, entered name, email and password, then continue, then pressed the Manual config button and chose normal password for the authentication and it worked to access my Gmail over imap.

Same for me (only normal password works)