Author Topic: Thunderbird e-mail client  (Read 23191 times)

Renee Senger

• View Profile
Re: Thunderbird e-mail client
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2020, 05:23:19 pm »
Solved! Thunderbird works with GMail with a "normal password" only if a specific app password is created for it in your Google account. I have to delete the specific password for Thunderbird that already existed in my account, create a new 16 characters one and then, with a new profile in Thunderbird, with this app specfific password and "normal password" option, finally, access my gmail account!

As I understood, for Google, each application running in a different OS, is another application.

Renee Senger

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2020, 06:41:17 pm »
Now, if someone is successfull in setting up a Yahoo mail account, that is, Thunderbird not crash when "DONE" buttom at the end of automatic setup is pushed, post here!

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2020, 07:05:28 pm »
What was the crash? Should be a trp file in your program directory.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2020, 08:10:49 pm »
Tried setting up a Yahoo mail account, no crash but it doesn't like my password. I'll try later with a fresh profile.

Renee Senger

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2020, 12:06:30 am »
Tried setting up a Yahoo mail account, no crash but it doesn't like my password. I'll try later with a fresh profile.

I tried with the same windows configuration: imap.mail.yahoo.com - port 993 - ssl - 0auth2 -> crash at the end of setup
I tried with port - 993 - normal password ( same as Gmail account) -> crash at the end of setup

Are there any other log to help or only Error Console?

I tried to set up Yahoo account in SeaMonkey too. Password is not accept.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2020, 07:17:29 am »

I tried with the same windows configuration: imap.mail.yahoo.com - port 993 - ssl - 0auth2 -> crash at the end of setup
I get a grey window (I believe it should be transparent but the WPS doesn't support that) at the bottom of the screen basically saying that the server doesn't support Oauth2.
I tried with port - 993 - normal password ( same as Gmail account) -> crash at the end of setup

There should be some trp files in the program directory, name like 0073_28.TRP with various hex numbers. That should have a stack trace. You might have to install more dbg packages to get a clear trace, but as it is repeatable for you.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2020, 07:39:48 am »
Managed to crash TB after deleting and starting to recreate account. It was a simple OOM (out of memory) crash.
You might want to increase your VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT to 2560 in config.sys and reboot to see if that helps the crash.

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2020, 05:58:03 am »

While OAuth2 works for Gmail here, it does not work for Yahoo here... I must use SSL/TLS and Normal Password.  I just went about trying to switch to OAuth2 for Yahoo (and AIM mail) due to emails they sent about disabling my current access option.  I was unsuccessful in getting OAuth2 to work for these.  I guess I need to dig out my Linux system and try setting it up there and see if OAuth2 works on it (my searching came up with about 50/50 whether it should/would work).

Renee Senger

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2020, 05:48:47 pm »
Managed to crash TB after deleting and starting to recreate account. It was a simple OOM (out of memory) crash.
You might want to increase your VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT to 2560 in config.sys and reboot to see if that helps the crash.

I tried VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT=2560 but Thunderbird is still crashing when trying set up a Yahoo mail account. The only difference is the fact that now it beeps 3 times before crash. Attached is the 0041_01.TRP generated in \Programs\Thunderbird after crash.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2020, 05:59:21 pm »
It's an OOM crash, see below. Have you marked the DLLs to load high and are you using tbturbo?
Code: [Select]
Failing Instruction

146A8A52  RET                     (c3)
 146A8A53  LEA   ESI, [ESI+0x0]    (8db6 00000000)
 146A8A59  LEA   EDI, [EDI+0x0]    (8dbc27 00000000)
 146A8A60  INT 3                   (cc)
 146A8A61 >NOP                     (90)
The INT 3 is a breakpoint, usually used for debugging or in this case to force a crash.

Call Stack

EBP     Address    Module     Obj:Offset    Nearest Public Symbol
 --------  ---------  --------  -------------  -----------------------
 Trap  ->  146A8A61   XUL       0001:003B8A61  between NS_ABORT_OOM + 1 and nsISupports::COMTypeInfo::kIID - 11F  (both in nsDebugImpl.cpp)
This is the actual function that crashed. The rest can help with debugging but the truth is there is a lot of bad programming on Mozilla's part.
I do have a slightly better version I'm running but having problems with uploading. It still runs into the occasional OOM crash.

Renee Senger

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2020, 11:12:21 pm »
While OAuth2 works for Gmail here, it does not work for Yahoo here... I must use SSL/TLS and Normal Password.  I just went about trying to switch to OAuth2 for Yahoo (and AIM mail) due to emails they sent about disabling my current access option.  I was unsuccessful in getting OAuth2 to work for these.  I guess I need to dig out my Linux system and try setting it up there and see if OAuth2 works on it (my searching came up with about 50/50 whether it should/would work).

According Google, theoretically, if your mail account has not "two-step verification" enable, Thunderbird would get access with "login with google" as usually it tries to do and all woud be ok with SSL and 0Auth. That is true in Linux and Windows but I could not to do with  OS/2 Thunderbird (the reported eternal checking password)

If your mail account has two-step verification enable, must be created an app password (16 characters) at your Google account page that will be used in place of your real password in Thunderbird and "normal password" will be used to connect to GMail. This is the only way that works for me.

Even in second case, different from what Google says and from what really happens with Thunderbird in Linux and Windows, when you try to set up another Gmail account in this  same OS/2 Thunderbird, you have to create an specific app password again.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2020, 04:57:06 am »
I took Dave's advice from a separate thread into consideration (well, decided to finally do the install of Thunderbird and see how I can configure and use it to access my Gmail as opposed to the browser based approach).

All in all, given the suggestions listed in this thread I was able to get this up and running. Pretty smooth so far, no complaints, but it's only been a couple of hours so far...LOL!

However, I have a question on strategy you guys are using to balance the system use (memory really) between Thunderbird and Firefox.

Specifically, I have the FFTurboLoad deployed, which works well for FF. I see that Thunderbird uses very similar, sometimes the same DLLs (name wise), so it would make sense to maximize that use.

I took a quick snapshot of the runtime loaded DLLs for both (PSTAT):

1) FF
G:\USR\LIB\LIBC066.DLL
G:\USR\LIB\NSPR4.DLL
G:\USR\LIB\LIBC066.DLL
G:\USR\LIB\LIBCX0.DLL
G:\OS2\DLL\SESMGR.DLL

2) THUNDERBIRD
G:\USR\LIB\GCC1.DLL
G:\USR\LIB\STDCPP6.DLL

3) COMMON TO BOTH
G:\USR\LIB\LIBCN0.DLL
G:\USR\LIB\LIBCX0.DLL
G:\OS2\DLL\DOSCALL1.DLL
G:\OS2\DLL\PMWIN.DLL
G:\MPTN\DLL\TCPIP32.DLL

Further on, I see that Thunderbird directory has several DLLs showing, which I'm going to mark HIGH and see how that works out.

Since both apps run concurrenty, I am not using the LIBPATHSTRICT, which I think is good news.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2020, 06:34:54 am »
Use tbturbo. I routinely run SM and TB and sometimes FF using their respective turbo programs, with DLLs marked high and get lots of up time. The DLLs not in the program directory are loaded once for all while there are 3 sets of xul.dll etc.
Don't have too small of a VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT as well, at least 2560.
I've been accessing Gmail through POP3 for years with TB. IMAP on SM also works fine and allows access to the junk folder to catch the odd misplaced message.
It's kind of redundant using both SM and TB but as I was maintaining it, needed to test. In theory they can both share their mail folders as well and I did set that up at one time but for simplicity didn't keep that setup.
Edit: BTW, the Mozilla apps and the turbo apps set LIBPATHSTRICT and BEGINLIBPATH internally.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 06:37:44 am by Dave Yeo »

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2020, 04:01:27 pm »
Hi Dave,

Use tbturbo. I routinely run SM and TB and sometimes FF using their respective turbo programs, with DLLs marked high and get lots of up time. The DLLs not in the program directory are loaded once for all while there are 3 sets of xul.dll etc...

Oh? So use two separate xxturbo setups than? One for FF and a separate one for TB?

OK, I did not think to do that, instead I made the assumption that the DLLs loaded by the FFTurbo would be equally applicable for TB usage, since they are the same DLLs:

G:\UTIL\MISC\FFTURBO.EXE   0043       1A     
                               G:\USR\LIB\LIBCN0.DLL
                                  G:\OS2\DLL\DOSCALL1.DLL
                                     G:\OS2\DLL\DOSCALL1.DLL*
                                  G:\OS2\DLL\KBDCALLS.DLL
                                  G:\OS2\DLL\VIOCALLS.DLL
                                  G:\OS2\DLL\NLS.DLL
                                  G:\USR\LIB\LIBCN0.DLL*

...but maybe that's not a safe assumption then?

...Don't have too small of a VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT as well, at least 2560...

All good there, I've been running the max 3072 for a long time now.

...I've been accessing Gmail through POP3 for years with TB. IMAP on SM also works fine and allows access to the junk folder to catch the odd misplaced message.

Hmm, interesting. I actually liked the idea of TB being able to connect to IMAP b/c at least that way all the email is sitting in that single spot (mail server) and I can readily hop across multiple devices and maintain the same access. What was your reason for running POP3 instead?

Alright, I'll take a look at the TBTURBO as you pointed out and deploy that to see what impact that has.

I did run into a separate issue, that deals with importing my Google Contacts through an add-on, but that really warrants a separate thread which I'll get started in the specific forum.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2020, 05:30:40 pm »
Hi Dariusz. The way LIBPATHSTRICT works is that just the DLLs on BEGINLIBLPATH are strictly loaded FF uses its xul.dll and TB uses its xul.dll, likewise with the other DLLs in the program directory but it is xul.dll that is important as the FF one won't have a bunch of exports that TB needs, FF might work with the TB xul.dll, it varies with version but best to just use the ones built for the program.
The dependencies you listed will be shared and kept loaded by either xxturbo program. If updating those DLLs, you will need to stop (and restart after) both turbo programs or reboot.
As for IMAP vs POP, it is individual preference and habit. I had a crappy internet connection for so long and POP is better in that case, dial in, download messages and disconnect and review messages and queue replies. My other mail accounts are all IMAP now.