Author Topic: ArcaOS 5.0.6 released  (Read 19323 times)

ivan

• View Profile
Re: ArcaOS 5.0.6 released
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2020, 02:05:21 pm »
OK, I got round the USBUHCI.SYS hang problem by telling the setup page just to install the XHCD driver and plugging the keyboard and trackball into the USB 3 sockets.

Now, apart from setting all the folders to 'as placed' and to 'not maintain sort order' I have to work out how to get back the standard OS/2 sloped icons - with all due respect to whoever designed the flat icons I don't like them, too much like the uninspired win 10 offering, sorry.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2020, 02:39:44 pm »
Now, apart from setting all the folders to 'as placed' and to 'not maintain sort order' I have to work out how to get back the standard OS/2 sloped icons - with all due respect to whoever designed the flat icons I don't like them, too much like the uninspired win 10 offering, sorry.
Interesting. I feared that. Disabling always sort and changing the icon theme belong to the first things I configure. Unfortunately, there exists no way to get the icon positions back as before, IIRC. Maybe it helps to disable that before opening the first folder with the WPS. Instead of the blue folder icons, I use the standard eCS theme. It works for all, except for the Network folder. I remember that the ITheme format has changed and adapted it, but didn't try more.

Sean Casey

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2020, 05:15:01 pm »
I just updated and now ANPM is broken.   When starting, ANPM prompts for my AN repository subscription IDs and PWs, and then throws a Python Error "The Python interpreter terminated with error code 123.   I also tried to rebuild the RPM database and received the popup error VX-REXX "DosConnectNPipe".

This issue was due to the installation process adding the following to my config.sys:

SET COMSPEC=C:\OS2\CMD.EXE /K C:\OS2\NUMON.EXE

This was derived from my existing entry:

SET OS2_SHELL=C:\OS2\CMD.EXE /K C:\OS2\NUMON.EXE

Changing to the following resolved my error:

SET COMSPEC=C:\OS2\CMD.EXE

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2020, 05:43:39 pm »
Sure, but they worked already before the USB 3 drivers.

The internal connections can change, when the X controller is added to the mix. Perhaps that is where the problem lies.

OK, I got round the USBUHCI.SYS hang problem by telling the setup page just to install the XHCD driver and plugging the keyboard and trackball into the USB 3 sockets.

This also points to a problem with the internal routing. Report the problem.

This issue was due to the installation process adding the following to my config.sys:

SET COMSPEC=C:\OS2\CMD.EXE /K C:\OS2\NUMON.EXE

This was derived from my existing entry:

SET OS2_SHELL=C:\OS2\CMD.EXE /K C:\OS2\NUMON.EXE

Changing to the following resolved my error:

SET COMSPEC=C:\OS2\CMD.EXE

What is NUMON.EXE? There is no such thing in ArcaOS. Report the problem, but they can't support everything that a user adds to the mix. Was that line in your original CONFIG.SYS? Very few lines actually get changed, if the install completed successfully.

Sean Casey

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2020, 06:58:21 pm »
What is NUMON.EXE? There is no such thing in ArcaOS. Report the problem, but they can't support everything that a user adds to the mix. Was that line in your original CONFIG.SYS?

This was in my config.sys when I upgraded from 5.0.4 to 5.0.5, but it only became an issue upgrading from 5.0.5 to 5.0.6. Numlock2 is licensed by Mensys and is not distributed by Arca Noae; it turns on numlock.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2020, 07:16:28 pm »
Hi Sean

Probably easier to use the Desktop -> Properties -> Startup page -> "Enable Numlock at Startup" option.

Regards

Pete

Sean Casey

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2020, 08:00:21 pm »
Hi Pete,

That looks like a winner, thank you!   Removing numlock2.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2020, 09:06:44 pm »
Sure, but they worked already before the USB 3 drivers.

The internal connections can change, when the X controller is added to the mix. Perhaps that is where the problem lies.

Doug, interesting. It was already added for phase 1 by the CSM and didn't work with the config.sys on the boot drive for phase 2. BTW: I've tried 2 ports before writing. The second try was with a one beneath the PS/2 ports, which is usually connected to USB 2 chips, if any.

With Lars' Hardware Manager and then (gues it was Dmitry's) Hardware Explorer in tree view it shouldn't be a problem to confirm that. I wish I had found a way to make at least the XWP objects visible after the phase 1 of the update. Maybe I should better have used usbtree for that.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 09:25:26 pm by Andreas Schnellbacher »

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2020, 09:44:05 pm »
Doug, do you know, if the order of the USB drivers still matters with 12.07? In the config.sys of my new-install try I have:

Code: [Select]
BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBXHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBXHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /REMOVABLES:8 /FLOPPIES:0

In the config.sys of the update I had (before I moved USBD.SYS above):

BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS

BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBXHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBXHCD.SYS

and probably below:

BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /REMOVABLES:8 /FLOPPIES:0

Again: Both don't recognize the USB stick in phase 2.

(I guess I have to report it to David. Before that, I have to try if it can be reproduced.)

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2020, 05:47:29 am »
With Lars' Hardware Manager and then (gues it was Dmitry's) Hardware Explorer in tree view it shouldn't be a problem to confirm that. I wish I had found a way to make at least the XWP objects visible after the phase 1 of the update. Maybe I should better have used usbtree for that.

The USB drivers should detect whatever happens, but there are many possibilities, and the drivers are still quite new, so they may not detect everything that they should detect. I have looked at what Hardware Explorer tells me, but I am not sure that it really tells the whole story. Usbtree is useful too, but may not tell the whole story either.

Doug, do you know, if the order of the USB drivers still matters with 12.07? In the config.sys of my new-install try I have:

I know that USBD.SYS should (must) be first, followed by the X, E, O and U drivers (not necessarily in that order). Then USBHID.SYS. I don't think the rest matter, as long as they follow. Before v12.1, they need to be X, E, O, U, followed by USBD.SYS and USBHID.SYS, then the rest. I think Lars fixed his drivers so it doesn't matter what the load order is, but that is a different, unsupported (by Arca Noae), driver set. My Logical Config.Sys Sort program (LCSS) at HOBBES does it slightly different from what the "official" USB installer does, but it always works, for me (and others). Of course, if there is a problem in the driver, that isn't likely to help.

(I guess I have to report it to David. Before that, I have to try if it can be reproduced.)

Try what Pete suggested, a few posts back. That would seem to be pretty close to what happens with the installer. It may be that the driver is  looking, before the stick is attached by the hardware, and that could be caused if the drivers are at the end of CONFIG.SYS (although that is probably not the case). I believe the installer runs "LVM.EXE /RediscoverPRM" from STARTUP.CMD, which could be getting there too early, so it doesn't "see" the device.

An interesting test, would be to go to System Management, at the end of phase 1, and add "sleep 2" to the beginning of STARTUP.CMD, then continue to phase 2. The bottom line is, that if the drivers work in phase 1, they should work in phase 2. It is a totally different story, if you can't get to the pre-boot menus, before the initial OS/2 boot, that is all done by BIOS. Phase 1 happens after you start the boot from MEMDISK, and that loads the drivers from MEMDISK, in the order that the pre-boot menus set up. Phase 2 uses a slightly modified version of your own CONFIG.SYS, from the hard disk. If there is something odd in there, it may not work quite right. The installer manages the USB lines (and a few other things), but most of it is left as it was found.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2020, 10:07:13 am »
I know that USBD.SYS should (must) be first,
That's also what I remembered. It was below the others and above the newly added X type. After moving USBD.SYS above, I had the same problem with phase 2.

Yes, Lars has fixed his drivers to accept any order.

I believe the installer runs "LVM.EXE /RediscoverPRM" from STARTUP.CMD,
Yes. I've used the program object in the drives folder, but that didn't help either.

add "sleep 2" to the beginning of STARTUP.CMD, then continue to phase 2.
No, that won't help. I had renamed STARTUP.CMD from another partition to avoid automatic execution. In phase 2 the desktop booted and I executed STARTUP.CMD manually, but with the same message.

Now I remember that there was a message that AiRBoot doesn't work anymore and that it needs to be manually reinstalled first. But AiRBoot had worked. At phase 2 it boots to the CSM to let it boot from harddisk, which boots the correct partition. After these tries, AiRBoot still works normally.

Phase 2 uses a slightly modified version of your own CONFIG.SYS, from the hard disk. If
there is something odd in there, it may not work quite right.
Yes, the order of USBD.SYS, as I wrote. It's all very similar to eCS, where I was more involved.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2020, 05:41:13 pm »
Yes, the order of USBD.SYS, as I wrote. It's all very similar to eCS, where I was more involved.

Okay, it is probably a bug in the driver. That needs to be reported, with supporting documentation (see the "Best practices" wiki).

ArcaOS has very little in common with eCS. ArcaOS is a completely new implementation, from the ground up, and the USB 12.x drivers are completely new. Very few, if any, parts of eCS are included, and what looks to be the same thing, has been completely re-written.

The USB drivers have proven to be very problematic, because nobody follows the rules, and other operating systems have gone along with that, because the biggest of them all makes their drivers work with devices that are way out of spec. That means that OS/2 must follow suit, but there is very little, if any, documentation about what gets changed to make those devices work. Even different BIOS implementations work differently, with the same hardware, and BIOS settings can also change the way it works. David just hasn't found all of those possible differences, yet.

Rick Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2020, 10:37:04 pm »
Greetings,

I am relatively new to Arca, I have downloaded the update iso do I have to reinstall or is there an upgrade path? If there are upgrade instructions could you point me that way?

Rick

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2020, 11:18:45 pm »
You can update all versions since ArcaOS 5.0 to 5.0.6. The updater is included since 5.0.4.

Upgrading between major version of ArcaOS is planned.

Migrating from eCS or OS/2 W4.x is planned.

See here.

Maybe also interesting: Changelog, ArcaOS, ArcaOS Roadmap

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2020, 01:05:11 am »
OK, having got the base system up and running and most of the icons changed over to OS/2 ones I started loading my usual set of programs that I use.

First problem, when I went to compare how this version ran against my 5.0.2 version on my work computer - I tried to start BS_Info but it passed out with the opening screen just flashing on before vanishing although it did leave some information in popuplog.os2 saying that the problem was with doscall1.dll.

I'm now wondering if I should just download all the updates and revert to an older version 5.0.2 or 5.0.3 that I know works.