Author Topic: ArcaOS 5.0.6 released  (Read 19322 times)

Mo

• View Profile
ArcaOS 5.0.6 released
« on: August 31, 2020, 09:44:05 pm »
https://www.arcanoae.com/arcaos-5-0-6-now-available/

Unfortunately Changelog not Readme on the website reflect changes in 5.0.6 yet

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: ArcaOS 5.0.6 released
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 02:51:26 am »
It is now available.
https://www.arcanoae.com/wp-content/uploads/wiki/ArcaOS-changes.txt

Summary of changes 5.0.6

- Updated JFS to 1.9.8.
- Updated brlaser CUPS print driver.
- Updated NetDrive Samba plugin to 3.7.1.
- Updated VirtualBox Additions to 6.1.12; improved packaging.
- Updated FAT32 to 5.0.3.
- Updated ACPI to 3.23.14.
- Updated eCo Runtime Base & Win to 20200525.
- Updated NAPS help (minor).
- Updated Panorama to 1.16.
- Updated TestLog to 3.32.
- Updated PRINTMAN to 0.8.6 (proper filtering of non-current-codepage PPD strings).
- Updated CUPSWIZ to 1.20 (proper filtering of non-current-codepage PPD strings).
- Fixed repeating "EPSON" string in generated printer driver list.
- (Installer) Various minor layout fixes.
- (Installer) Moved Media Folder creation to phase 2 to avoid potential hang in phase 3.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Sean Casey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 05:08:44 pm »
I just updated and now ANPM is broken.   When starting, ANPM prompts for my AN repository subscription IDs and PWs, and then throws a Python Error "The Python interpreter terminated with error code 123.   I also tried to rebuild the RPM database and received the popup error VX-REXX "DosConnectNPipe". 

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 06:37:59 pm »
I have had no issues with updating on my desktop. Next we will see how my laptop goes.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 06:43:04 pm »
I just updated and now ANPM is broken.
Scan the log files in %LOGFILES%\* (default is ?:\var\log\*) for entries with the word 'error'.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 06:51:59 pm »
The USB stick creation went without problems and the BIOS can boot from it.

I've tried to update one of my test/service partitions that had ArcaOS 5.0.1 with the USB stick. Phase 1 continued, but after reboot from harddisk for phase 2, it can't find the USB stick anymore. The USB drivers doesn't seem to work. I've tried to load USBD.SYS as first USB entry (it was appended before the new USBHID.SYS), but that didn't help. Even with disabling startup.cmd, the RediscoverRPM object in the drives folder won't add the drive R:

Will try to burn a DVD later.

Edit: Corrected ArcaOS version number.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 12:46:06 pm by Andreas Schnellbacher »

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 07:58:02 pm »
In my case after updating from DVD, everything is correct, in principle.
The problem was with the config.sys, The update modified this:
REM RUN = C: \ OS2 \ ACPIDAEMON.EXE
RUN = C: \ OS2 \ ACPIDAEMON.EXE

I changed it back to REM and the sound was perfect again, because it could be heard in sections.
Along with other improvements.
With the ANPM without problems.
The manjonng better.
saludos

Sandra Asja Eickel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 08:47:45 pm »
I've tried to update one of my test/service partitions that had ArcaOS 5.[0.]1 with the USB stick. Phase 1 continued, but after reboot from harddisk for phase 2, it can't find the USB stick anymore. The USB drivers doesn't seem to work.

If that stick was connected to XHCI (USB 3.x) and your old installation had not upgraded the USB drivers to support XHCI before, then this result is (sadly) expected.

Due to the current installer design, it is necessary to install USB 12.06 and XHCI prior to the update for systems requiring XHCI.

This is not only an ugly documentation failure, but might have even worse consequences:
When this happened to me by upgrading from 5.0.1 to 5.0.5 from a stick, it killed FireFox & Co., so you can't then even download the missing drivers to continue installation ...

I'll have to invest a little more time into my ticket https://mantis.arcanoae.com/view.php?id=2914 ...

Greetings,
Sandra-Asja

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 11:18:28 pm »
If that stick was connected to XHCI (USB 3.x)
Sure, but no, it wasn't. I've used the (black) USB 2 ports. And the XHCI driver was installed, what makes me wonder for an update, because it was communicated otherwise. After that, I tried a new installation on that partition. Same problem: USB stick can't be found in phase 2. Now I really have to burn a DVD.

BTW: That was my first installation from USB. I've already tried it when that feature was new, but copying the .iso file had failed. I was too busy with other stuff to try it again. Additionally, I had hardware problems with an almost new Kingston SSD.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 12:07:26 am »
Hi All

5.0.6 cannot be installed from USB here. Same problem as 5.0.5 - USB stick goes "missing" after the boot "Menu for own choices", not sure if this is what Andreas calls "phase 2" but I would say that it craps out before phase 1.

5.0.4 installed from USB without any problems so changes to either USB code or installer code have caused this backwards step.

Looking through the 5.0.6 changelog I see no reason to bother with installing 5.0.6 from dvd, I'll just update my 5.0.5 installation with the few odd drivers that have been updated.

Regards

Pete

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 01:52:16 am »
I've tried to update one of my test/service partitions that had ArcaOS 5.1 with the USB stick. Phase 1 continued, but after reboot from harddisk for phase 2, it can't find the USB stick anymore.

That can happen, IF you were using a pre=release version of the USB drivers (where did you get ArcaOS 5.1, it hasn't been released to the testers, yet). Due to the way the drivers are versioned, release 12.7 GA is a lower (or equal) level than USB 12.7 test versions. so they don't get updated.

I have done updates from all of the previous ArcaOS GA versions (with no updates to them), and every one of them added the new USB stuff, INCLUDING the XHCD driver. I could not install from USB3, because USB3 is on an add on card, that BIOS does not know about. Trying to update with the pre-release USB 12.7 driver failed to update the driver, and did not install the XHCD driver. FAT32, and ACPI may also fail, under the same conditions. Just install the updated versions from the DVD, and don't mess with test versions, if you don't want this type of problem.

The problem was with the config.sys, The update modified this:
REM RUN = C: \ OS2 \ ACPIDAEMON.EXE
RUN = C: \ OS2 \ ACPIDAEMON.EXE

That is NOT a problem, It is supposed to happen that way.  The end result is supposed to be a "new" install of ArcaOS, with most (if not all) of your software still installed.

If ACPI is causing trouble, and you can create a test case that demonstrates the problem, open an incident, and get it fixed. If this is a newer system, it probably doesn't run properly without ACPI. If it is an older system, it may have flaws in the ACPI support (well, new systems can also have flaws in ACPI support).

If that stick was connected to XHCI (USB 3.x) and your old installation had not upgraded the USB drivers to support XHCI before, then this result is (sadly) expected.

This was true for ArcaOS 5.0.5. It is not true fro ArcaOS 5.0.6. See above.

Sure, but no, it wasn't. I've used the (black) USB 2 ports. And the XHCI driver was installed, what makes me wonder for an update, because it was communicated otherwise. After that, I tried a new installation on that partition. Same problem: USB stick can't be found in phase 2. Now I really have to burn a DVD.

USB 2 ports are not always connected to an EHCD controller. They can be connected to an XHCD controller. If the USB stack didn't get updated, for some reason (see above), it is likely that the XHCD controller didn't have the driver.

Looking through the 5.0.6 changelog I see no reason to bother with installing 5.0.6 from dvd, I'll just update my 5.0.5 installation with the few odd drivers that have been updated.

That is probably the easy way. Hopefully, Arca Noae will get their versioning in order, so this doesn't happen again. You should be able to just re-run the update (start from the first boot), to be sure that you get all of it. If you have test versions installed, they may need to be updated manually.

5.0.6 cannot be installed from USB here. Same problem as 5.0.5 - USB stick goes "missing" after the boot "Menu for own choices", not sure if this is what Andreas calls "phase 2" but I would say that it craps out before phase 1.

That is the pre-boot phase. Phase 1 is after it starts to write to the disk drive. If phase 1 works, the USB drivers are working, and the problem is likely that you are using some USB drivers, that are, incorrectly, recognized as being current, when they are not.

If you don't get to the pre-boot menus, it is likely that the BIOS is not reading the USB stick properly. Do you see the dots, as it loads MEMDISK? That is all done by BIOS. Check for a setting that is called something like FAST START, in the USB section. If you read the details, that can either turn off all devices, or it can set it to use only mouse and keyboard. The USB stick will not work, although I would expect the initial menu to also go missing.

BIOS handling of USB boot is absolutely ridiculous. It seems that every machine (even the same brand) does it differently, and user settings (not necessarily made by the user) will affect what happens. I can't even begin to tell you what the settings should be, unless you have a machine identical to one of mine. Look carefully, and read what the settings do. Even then, it may not make any sense. You also cannot boot from an add on card, that the BIOS doesn't know about. If all of that doesn't help, open an incident.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 03:08:09 am »
Hi Doug

The problem with 5.0.5 and 5.0.6 USB installation here is that after completing the pre-boot phase "Menu for own choices" is that the USB eject and/or (re)attach fail.

This can be illustrated by simply attaching a usb flash drive to a booted ArcaOS system with USB 12.06 or 12.07 installed. With the flash drive still attached (do not eject) reboot the system. Is the flash drive accessible? - the answer here is that it is not in the drives folder and Refresh Removable Media does not cause the flash drive to be displayed.

If I then physically remove the flash drive then reinsert it the flash drive becomes accessible and is displayed in the Drives folder.

That suggests the problem is the result of usb coding changes after USB12.01 - supplied with 5.0.4 and worked fine for usb install, also passes the above reboot without ejecting test.

Regards

Pete

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2020, 04:58:43 am »
This can be illustrated by simply attaching a usb flash drive to a booted ArcaOS system with USB 12.06 or 12.07 installed. With the flash drive still attached (do not eject) reboot the system. Is the flash drive accessible? - the answer here is that it is not in the drives folder and Refresh Removable Media does not cause the flash drive to be displayed.

Interesting. That was supposed to be fixed (and, I know of a few cases where it was fixed). I guess you should report the problem (again), but be sure that you have the USB stack, from the ArcaOS 5.0.6 DVD installed. No point in wasting resources to find out that it didn't get updated. I know why it doesn't get updated, when you are using a test version before updating, but it should be okay otherwise. There MAY be a problem with the 12.7 version from the subscription (before the one that was just released). Be sure you aren't using that one.

You may find an option, in BIOS, something about "hand off" (from BIOS control, to driver control). If it exists, it might cause such a problem (I am guessing, because none of my machines have that, or I never noticed it).

If you haven't done it, install E:\CID\SERVER\ARCAPKG\USB.WPI (where E: is the DVD drive, or ISOFS drive), and see if it still has the problem. If it asks, replace everything, and, of course, re-boot before trying it.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 10:19:35 am »
On my ASUS Ryzen  test system the first reboot hangs on USBUHCD.SYS so it looks as if I will have to restore the boot partition from a disk image again.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2020, 12:54:55 pm »
That can happen, IF you were using a pre=release version of the USB drivers (where did you get ArcaOS 5.1, it hasn't been released to the testers, yet).
OK, sorry for the confusion. It's 5.0.1 GA. (I had named it here 5.1 many years ago, because it followed 5.0.) I was wrong. I've fixed it in my text above.

But it happened also with a full reinstall. So, the USB drivers in the ISO (12.07) most likely doesn't work here.

USB 2 ports are not always connected to an EHCD controller. They can be connected to an XHCD controller.
Sure, but they worked already before the USB 3 drivers.