Public Discussions > General Discussion

OS/2 on a Via C7 desktop?

(1/4) > >>

Geographer:
Hello everyone!  way back in my DOS days i was getting really frustrated with Microsoft Windows 2.  A friend of mine had just purchased an Apple, and gave his IBM desktop with OS/2 to play with.  i loved it, and used it for years until the hardware finally wore out.
I recently rescued a MicroATX motherboard with a Via C7 CPU.  it is a 2005 release, and would have winxp normallly,  The board has IDE, SATA, and USB.  Does anyone have any idea if I could get OS/2 Warp running on this hardware?
I have a small case and 2gb od
f RAM on the way along with a DVD.  I plan to add a 120gb hard drive and an aftermarket video card if possible.

Pete:
Hi richard

No experience of the Via C7 cpu myself but it is x86 compatible I understand so it should be possible to install and use OS/2 with this cpu. I suspect later OS/2 releases would work best  ie Warp4.5/eComstation/ArcaOS

Regards

Pete

Geographer:
Will ArcaOS handle USB and SATA?  If so maybe I will go with it!

Dave Yeo:

--- Quote from: richard Baran on September 08, 2020, 04:15:21 pm ---Will ArcaOS handle USB and SATA?  If so maybe I will go with it!

--- End quote ---

Yes, there is a very good chance that ArcaOS will just work.

Pete:
Hi richard

As it seems you have OS/2 Warp rather than eComStation or ArcaOS it does depend on if you have all the latest updates available.

For USB you will need the 10.162 updates but I do not recall an AHCI (SATA) driver being available. You can work around this by setting the system to use SATA as IDE in the mainboard BIOS and use the DANIS506.ADD  IDE driver.

If you are feeling rich you may want to consider updating to ArcaOS which has updated USB and AHCI (SATA) drivers included amongst others.

Regards

Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version