OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Utilities

"Pack this tree" on XWorkplace - ArcaOS

(1/3) > >>

Martin Iturbide:
Hi

I have a little issue with ArcaOS 5.0.6.

I always like to install the full XWorkplace full over ArcaOS since I use the "Right click, Folder Action - Pack this tree" and some other feature like the OS/2 Kernel and WPS Classes view.

But now that I installed ArcaOS 5.0.6 I noticed it has XWorkplace 1.0.13.1 preinstalled, and I'm not sure if I should install version 1.0.13 full over it. And I'm not able to find any 1.0.13.1 installer.

Regards

ivan:
Hi martin,

I just deleted the WARPIN entry for the ArcaOS install and installed the full version where I wanted it then deleted the xwp dir in sys dir. 

I might be considered an old curmudgeon by many but I have been using OS/2 since version 2.1 and now being in my 80s am rather set in my ways which is why it takes ages for me to get a new install to the way I expect it to be - this one is taking longer because I have to change the M$ flat style icons to OS/2 sloped ones, if anyone knows a quick way of doing that please let me know.

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote ---I always like to install the full XWorkplace full over ArcaOS since I use the "Right click, Folder Action - Pack this tree" and some other feature like the OS/2 Kernel and WPS Classes view.
--- End quote ---

"Right click, Folder Action - Pack this tree" works fine, but it has no icon. Put an icon into System Setup-> Extended Menu Options-> Folder actions. Then add:
Path and file name: C:\sys\apps\xwps\bin\packtree.cmd
Parameters: %*
Working directory empty

Adjust the drive letter, as required.

It is also a good idea to modify C:\sys\apps\xwps\bin\packtree.cmd to change the ZIP parameters (in the command) to -r9yS. "y" handles symlinks, and "S" handles hidden, and system, files (case is important).

--- Quote ---But now that I installed ArcaOS 5.0.6 I noticed it has XWorkplace 1.0.13.1 preinstalled, and I'm not sure if I should install version 1.0.13 full over it. And I'm not able to find any 1.0.13.1 installer.
--- End quote ---

Personally, I don't see any reason to do that. The installer should be available, but be aware that the non Arca Noae subscription package (which is at HOBBES) is missing a couple of things (which probably won't be removed, if they already exist). In fact, it is quite likely that 1.0.13.1 only changes the Arca Noae specific parts, so no freely available version would be needed, since nothing has changed.

Mathias:

--- Quote from: ivan on September 11, 2020, 03:02:49 am ---I have to change the M$ flat style icons to OS/2 sloped ones, if anyone knows a quick way of doing that please let me know.

--- End quote ---

Hmm.. I suppose you could use the eStyler to change to another "theme". These usually include icons also. This way you can "go back" to Warp4 style, Warp3, etc within seconds.

For my case, I always loved how Warp3 looked like, especially the sunken edges on select bars in menus.
Warp4 already came with flat select bars in menus, and.. for my taste.. wasn't looking as good anymore.
So.. if you perhaps know a way how to get the sunken edges back... : ]

Two examples:
Warp 3: https://www.operating-system.org/betriebssystem/bsgfx/ibm/os2-scr-08.gif
Warp4: https://www.operating-system.org/betriebssystem/bsgfx/ibm/os2warp4-scr-a5.png

Mind the difference:
The Warp3 screenshot has sunken edge (no colour) select bars (see the "Öffnen" menu entry), while Warp4 already had the blue background (XP-style) select bars already. (See the "Open as" menu entry)

So.. if anyone knows a way (or maybe thirdparty eStyler "theme") to get the sunken edge select bars in ArcaOS.. please let me know *__*

modified: Added links

David Graser:
I too have also liked the sunken selection bar.  That might be a good addition to XWP if possible.  But as always, programmers are few and funds short.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version