Author Topic: OpenOffice - which font when exchanging documents between OS/2 and Win?  (Read 4163 times)

Andi B.

• View Profile
Currently I write on a document on Win and OS/2. Started on Win it uses Times New Roman. When reading on OS/2 I don't see the Greek Ohm symbol. Our Times New Roman WT J does have a lot of Greek symbols but don't know if Win has this font. Moreover that Ohm symbol looks not very nice. I tried Calibri which looks fine but very different to Times...

Nimbus Roman No 9 doesn't have Ohm symbol or I didn't find it. Garamond No8 does have a very ugly (for the eyes of a technician) looking Ohm. Didn't try other Greek symbols.

Anyone here experienced with document exchange between Win and OS/2 and fonts? Best with technical/electronic symbols.

Remy

• View Profile
Re: OpenOffice - which font when exchanging documents between OS/2 and Win?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 12:19:14 pm »
Currently I write on a document on Win and OS/2. Started on Win it uses Times New Roman. When reading on OS/2 I don't see the Greek Ohm symbol. Our Times New Roman WT J does have a lot of Greek symbols but don't know if Win has this font. Moreover that Ohm symbol looks not very nice. I tried Calibri which looks fine but very different to Times...

Nimbus Roman No 9 doesn't have Ohm symbol or I didn't find it. Garamond No8 does have a very ugly (for the eyes of a technician) looking Ohm. Didn't try other Greek symbols.

Anyone here experienced with document exchange between Win and OS/2 and fonts? Best with technical/electronic symbols.

Have a look here to check which fonts should have the ohm symbol.
https://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2126/fontsupport.htm

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 04:02:39 pm »
Best with technical/electronic symbols.
BTW: I would have used LaTeX for easy exchange, but I doubt that is what you want to hear.
BTW: The letter you are looking for is named 'Big Omega'.

Eduardo Vila Echagüe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 04:21:57 pm »
To avoid problems I just de-installed the Times New Roman provided by OS2 and installed those from Windows, files
times.ttf, timesbd.ttf, timesbi.ttf and timesi.ttf. They can be found in the System32 folder of any modern Windows version.

These fonts include Basic and Extended Greek, which is very useful if you have to quote ancient Greek phrases. Alsolots of other special symbols. To see what is the content of a font, I use the funtion Insert-Special Character of Open Office.

Eduardo Vila Echagüe

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 07:55:04 pm »
Thanks Eduardo. I never thought that simply using Win font files would work that easy.

In the meantime I played with Calibri and Verdana. Both look quite different to Times but I find them very nice and modern. Unfortunately the same Open Office document does look a bit different on Win as on OS/2 even with Calibri. On some lines there does not fit all the words when opening the document in Win as the fit on OS/2. So you have to carefully check hyphenation and paragraph matching when you work on one document on more than one platform.

@Andreas - your right, LaTeX is not an option for me. Anyway thanks for refreshing my Greek ;-) Sometimes I think my brain goes perforated like cheese these days....
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 07:58:52 pm by Andi B. »