Author Topic: Arca / proxmox  (Read 6853 times)

Rick Smith

• View Profile
Arca / proxmox
« on: September 17, 2020, 04:43:07 pm »
Has anyone successfully loaded arca as a VM in proxmox? I just get hung up on arca splash screen never goes any further... I’ve loaded it on esxi on same machine no trouble. If you have done please share any tips you may have..

Hope you are all safe and well!

Rick

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Arca / proxmox
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 05:04:05 pm »
Hi Rick

It is the first time I hear about proxmox, I may be getting behind in the infrastructure market :)

Are you using proxmox? Can you describe it a little bit how to it works? Is it too different from other VM Server solutions like VMWare ESX ? It says it is open source and the screenshots looks very good, which calls my attention. 

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 11:50:38 pm »
It is the first time I hear about proxmox, I may be getting behind in the infrastructure market :)

It's a fork of OpenVZ (Linux only container solution, basically Ububuntu + limited virtualisation, it is not a true hypervisor) with bits of LXC transplanted onto it to give it a more generic OS support, as it stands support for anything that is not Linux is rudimentary.

It is supposed to work like Solaris Containers, but lacks in many respects.

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 09:06:18 am »
We are using Proxmox at work for hosting purposes. It's offering support for high availability, it's got a nice web console, you can clone VMs and all the lot of features. (And best of all: for non business use it's free of charge!)
Worth a try, Martin.

We're using Proxmox with both, Windows and Linux machines inside, and works excellent.

A couple of weeks ago a student here in our company was given the task to find out what's faster: VMWare ESX, Mircosoft HyperV and Proxmox.

The conclusion was: VMWare ESX is on the same level with Proxmox, performance wise and feature wise. Pricing was won by Proxmox though.

Microsoft HyperV is lacking features like cloning VMs. (You'd need the MUCH more expensive Windows Datacenterserver version in order to support cloning)

So.. all around the Proxmox thingy looks like a good choice if you don't want to spend a fortune to host VMs on a dedicated and headless machine. You'll get a good feature set paired with fair pricing. AND: You'll get it right away without paying for software lessons that people at VMWare see as mandatory. ; )

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 09:11:06 am »
Quote from: Rick
I just get hung up on arca splash screen never goes any further...

Did you set up the VM correctly? You can set up machine type, CPU type (maybe go for 486 or legacy).
Did you try to choose another virtual HDD controller?

What did you try? : ]

Rick Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 07:42:25 am »
Greetings,

I had done the default suggestions, I have other vms on there that work just fine.. I know on arca website it has directions for VMware install and explicitly says to delete scsi controller in esxi setup.. I have installed arcaos on esxi and virtual box without issue or any real tweaking.  In proxmox I figured I would try to replicate the settings I used in esxi however I could not find a way in proxmox to remove scsi controller for instance. Have you run arca on proxmox successfully?

Regards,

Rick

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2020, 09:38:01 pm »
Nope, I do not have my own Proxmox machine.
But I could try this at work. I'm sure this can be set up to run ArcaOS just fine.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 11:17:41 pm »
Has anyone successfully loaded arca as a VM in proxmox? I just get hung up on arca splash screen never goes any further... I’ve loaded it on esxi on same machine no trouble. If you have done please share any tips you may have..

Hope you are all safe and well!

Rick

Couple of more detailed questions.

WHERE does it hang at the boot logo, use the key combination ALTF F2 before the boot logo is displayed.
I willing to bet it hangs on loading danis506.add, or ibm1s506.add. Look in the preboot menu if it switched to VM mode ?
In most cases VM's hang on the storage try changing to IBM1s506.add Danis506.add in the different modes. YOu can changes this by going in the preboot menu (boot with own value's).

I assume the VM has Intel VX support (supporting Intel VM virtualisation). Your VM needs to support this if you want to run OS/2.

Roderick