Author Topic: FF 45.x and resulting broken sites  (Read 20130 times)

mauro

• View Profile
Re: FF 45.x and resulting broken sites
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2020, 02:04:01 pm »
just for giving feedback, mi FF 45.9 situation in browsing Linkedin after login does not change, progress bar keeps searching without opening anything, and whole system get much less responsive.
This also after adding both THREADS=3072  and SET KAI_AUTOMODE=UNIAUD lines in config.sys

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2020, 07:40:06 pm »
Hello Mauro
I would distinguish two problems, one would be not being able to open the linkedin website,
 I cannot open it either. I understand that this is a specific problem with a page with Adobe ...
 The other problem I had was that the processors were going full and the Seamonke 2-42-9EXP3
 collapsed.
 It may be that your system becomes less responsive, but I think it may be because
 I run arcaos on a real-pc, and you on a virtual machine.
 It occurs to me that if you completely remove the swapper it is possible that in a virtualization
 it works better, why put 2048 2048 on it?
 This I have not tried and I do not know the consequences.
saludos

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2020, 10:09:08 pm »
Hi Roberto, check out http://www.edm2.com/index.php/CONFIG.SYS_-_Commands#MEMMAN
The advice is old so with modern machines with 2GB+ of memory, going with NOSWAP is usually fine. Removing PROTECT will break DOS and WINOS2 so only remove it if you care.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2020, 10:10:36 pm »

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2020, 12:22:16 am »
Hi Roberto, the KAI_AUTOMODE really depends on your hardware, some works best one way and some the other way. The maximum setting for THREADS I believe is 1024, 3072 is max for VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT. With THREADS, the lower, the less memory is used.
@Dariusz, you could try a new profile but the odds are that they've moved to some JavaScript that our old browser just doesn't support. It's now a Microsoft owned site and they want you to use Edge. Same thing with Github, lots of stuff doesn't even display anymore, and it is also owned by Microsoft.

Just a head ups... Guess what Microsoft Edge is using under the bonnet, the same browser engine as the upcoming new browser from BWW.
The
I have a alpha version running here of the web browser... Its getting along, but not yet ready for prime time demo.
Websites like github are working. 

And I do not think the Github and Linkedin are not working because there are Microsoft websites.
Its simply that dispite your efforts to try and keep the current builds of Firefox 45 and Seamonkey alive I am just afraid more and more websites as webdevelopers update code will start to fall over...

Check www.9292ov.nl. That website in some cases no longer loaded. Mijn.ing.nl has started to work inreliable (after logging into my bank account).
All of these Dutch websites have started using webstandards the Firefox 45 sadly no longer supports.
The Dutch goverment digital indentity system Digid with 2 way authentication is also kaput...

Roderick

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2020, 08:03:57 am »
Well parts of the web engine, Blink, are BSD licensed and V8, the JavaScript engine is pure BSD, we don't really know what changes Microsoft has made, and likewise with Google and Chrome though Google may be more motivated to keep it as compatible with Chromium as possible. Microsoft is harder for me to trust.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2020, 12:52:32 pm »
Hello Mauro
I would distinguish two problems, one would be not being able to open the linkedin website,
 I cannot open it either. I understand that this is a specific problem with a page with Adobe ...
 The other problem I had was that the processors were going full and the Seamonke 2-42-9EXP3
 collapsed.
 It may be that your system becomes less responsive, but I think it may be because
 I run arcaos on a real-pc, and you on a virtual machine.
 It occurs to me that if you completely remove the swapper it is possible that in a virtualization
 it works better, why put 2048 2048 on it?
 This I have not tried and I do not know the consequences.
saludos

understand, thank you.

confirm that putting MEMMAN=NOSWAP in config.sys (assume don't need to rem the following SWAPPATH line) make applications run faster in my OS2 W4.52 VirtualBox machine, working on 2 Gb of RAM, even while FF is opened with four pages running also including the "nowhere" linkedin research.

I've also casually discovered a funny conflict bug: if FF is running, then I cannot open any of the Staroffice 5.1 applications, just nothing happens after the execution. On the other side, if I try to open FF meantime a Staroffice 5.1 application is running, I get a faulty module error warning, as shown in the image below

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2020, 02:44:46 pm »
Result of error 8, it is consistent with what you do.

[C:\]HELP SYS0008

SYS0008: There is not enough memory available to process this command.
All available memory is in use.

EXPLANATION: If segment swapping is active, the swap file may be full
or an input/output (I/O) error may have occurred on the auxiliary
storage device that contains the swap file.

ACTION: Do one of the following and then retry the command:
o  Reduce the number of running programs.
o  Reduce the value of the BUFFERS=, TRACEBUF=, DISKCACHE=, THREADS=,
   RMSIZE=, or DEVICE=VDISK.SYS statement in the CONFIG.SYS file and
   then restart the system.
o  Remove unwanted files from the swap file disk and restart the system.
o  Install additional memory on your system.
o  Check the swap file disk for an I/O error.

I have a question, if you run with the swapper active, can you open firefox and Startoffice simultaneously?

Saludos

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2020, 03:09:01 pm »
Result of error 8, it is consistent with what you do.

[C:\]HELP SYS0008

SYS0008: There is not enough memory available to process this command.
All available memory is in use.
I have a question, if you run with the swapper active, can you open firefox and Startoffice simultaneously?

Saludos

No, same issue also once returned to previous config.sys values which were

MEMMAN=SWAP,PROTECT
THREADS=1024

haven't made tests yet in modifying the other config.sys statements , would you eventually suggest the related values to try with?

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2020, 07:09:57 pm »
Thanks for your test.
By testing you can test many things.
I don't know if you have sound through virtualization.
 You can try this:
REM SET KAI_AUTOMODE=DART
SET KAI_AUTOMODE=UNIAUD

DEVINFO=SCR,VGA,C:\OS2\BOOT\VIOTBL.DCP      **Put this line -before- devinfo=KBD,SP,...
 If you want you can change VGA for "SP" or the language of your computer. Like this:
DEVINFO=SCR,"SP",C:\OS2\BOOT\VIOTBL.DCP
DEVINFO=KBD,SP,C:\OS2\KEYBOARD.DCP

And you have to install Pmunimix and run it.
saludos

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2020, 08:50:08 pm »
tried all as suggested, same issue.  But it does not matter, this is just the "alpha" virtual machine where I perform all my experiments at an initial state, the "beta" and the "official" ones do not suffer of such oddity, don't understand why.
For sure, it has not been influenced by these tests about the threads limit or no-swap mode, as I had restored a 2-months-ago snapshot of this machine and it already shows such issue.
Never mind, thank you
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 08:53:01 pm by mauro »

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2020, 08:36:16 am »

And you have to install Pmunimix and run it.
saludos

downloaded Pmunimix installer and run its executable icon, it just shows properties, no file execution
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 12:08:05 pm by mauro »

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2020, 01:52:10 pm »
Hi mauro,

downloaded Pmunimix installer and run its executable icon, it just shows properties, no file execution

run it from command line, most likely you are missing a required DLL, in that case you should see something along those lines about THAT specific missing DLL

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2020, 07:41:23 pm »
right:  "The system cannot find the file UNIAUD."  Means I'm running audio device with a different driver, actually I have audio play in this virtual machine