Author Topic: Java bugs are not fixed?  (Read 16490 times)

Joop

• View Profile
Java bugs are not fixed?
« on: January 04, 2013, 02:23:45 pm »
I did put in some found defects, I'm an end user, can not always point out with "this is the problem". I see things happening, but sometimes its not clear if it is Java or if it is Odin.

With JGraphite the developer was so kind to put in extra code to solve a problem in OS/2-eCS. The problem is simple. You have to download an older version, because in the latest its fixed, but the developer want to get the code out again!
Open a picture and give the command Full Screen Preview. You get an image with the same resolution as the installed monitor size, ie you only see the picture and OS2-eCS and all others are somewhere in the background. With the escape key you have to go back, but in the older versions and with also other programs, this doesn't work, even worse, the whole WPS does go down. Also Alt-Tab or something else doesn't close the full screen session or get you proper back. Its clear a bug, pretty pinpointed too I think.

But I get back that they can't solve everything in Java. The developer fixed it,  bug report (ticket) closed. Excuse me?

I already have Java programs which don't work in Java 1.4.2_05 or 1.60whatever because that version is not SUN Java based, have programs which do work in 1.60whatever, but does only the right things when Odin 0.71. is active, later versions no file management, ie you can open a file load screen, but can't sort or display it in an other manner as icons tell you. Version 1.60ga2 and up no menu in ImageJ (if something is actively maintained, this program is one of them), also ask the guys (not related to OS/2-eCS) to fix it for OS/2-eCS?

Now my question.
Is this the way we have to go? Funding stuff which doesn't work? Your bug will be solved (hopefully) if you donate XX$ again?
We have some credit out there. If I write and can pinpoint the problem clear enough then they (not related to OS/2-eCS) are willing too solve if its easy to fix. But if we're going the way the "dev fixed it" instead of solving our own bugs then I'm afraid this will end sooner than later. I like OS/2-eCS, have invested lots of time, do crazy things where other systems have great difficulties, but there is a point that even I say its enough.
Sorry for this thread, but I think I have to let you know what's happening right now. I'm not pleased with it.

Also my question about version 1.7 aka 7 did get the answer of donating more $. I did donate a fare amount of money to pull version 6 of, but what's enough money for a private user? This seems a well without bottom.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 08:13:47 pm by Joop »

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
Re: Java bugs are not fixed?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 08:45:16 pm »
As I'm the manager of OpenJDK and others I think I should write some sentences.
I don't want to go into a large discussion here, as it would lead to nothing in my eyes.

As one of the bugs was for a special Java App and the App Dev fixed the thinggy I closed the bug. I really see no reason to let such a bug open. If there are more Apps behaving the same, open a new bugrepport. And we will for sure look at all bugs when time permits.

About sponsoring:
If a milestone is funded, does that automatically mean it has to be bugfree? Every milestone needs testing and we test against some Java apps. But we really can't test everything.
Does it also mean, that when a milestone is funded, that bugs have to be fixed, if no more funding is left? I don't think so.

New versions:
I'm afraid that a 1.7 will not be around very soon, as we really lack of sponsoring. And you can be assured i would like to have a 1.7 very soon.

Developers:
A deeloper need his salery as you need one too. Dmitriy is fulltime emploeed and does nothing else than Java, Odin, Flash, Qt4 and so on. So he needs his salery and I need sponsorings to pay it to him. Without the help of some larger companies and individuals like Mensys, bww bitwise works, OS2VOICE) we could even not be where we are.

I hope this clears the situation a bit and if not please mail me privat, as I don't want to discuss some decission we do in public.

regards
Silvan
(lead of many projects)
kind regards
Silvan
CTO bww bitwise works GmbH

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 11:37:18 pm »
Hi Joop

I understand your frustration, but we have to remember that we are a community and not a big market anymore.

We all have made efforts for OpenJDK to became a reality, since Silvan that leaded the project without enough resources, Dmitriv that coded it,  the community that tries to donate to the project and even this site that tried to give OpenJDK the visibility as an important project for this platform (I think that Mensys also helped on this project, but I don't have formal evidence).

Silvan, about the bug. I think it will be a good rule to say that if the OpenJDK for Linux (same version) has the same problem, it is not a bug. I don't know the specifics of this case.

I don't have the best relation with Dmitriy (sorry the RPM thread is gone with the older forum) but I agreed with Silvan that the project need sponsoring.

What I like about this project is that is open source and Dmitiy does it development in the open. AFAIK there is no secret source code or something being hide from the rest of us. At least there is the opportunity (maybe not the resources at this time) to keep improving this project in the future if we compared with a close source payware.

Joop, lets keep insisting and trying more Java software on eCS, but I hope we can not fall into the frustration that had made many ones leave this platform and community.

I understand that I can not help much on this subject but I hope this can be worked out.

Regards
Martin
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 11:49:24 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 02:34:57 pm »
As one of the bugs was for a special Java App and the App Dev fixed the thinggy I closed the bug. I really see no reason to let such a bug open. If there are more Apps behaving the same, open a new bugrepport. And we will for sure look at all bugs when time permits.
Was not one specific program, just a program where I could with the developer pinpoint the problem. Put in the program because its easy for reproduction of the bug, but there are more. To give you an idea whats happening;

I got this message after testing the bug in the new GA4 version and report about it;

"please don't open several tickets for the same issue. this is useless and leads to nothing."

So you tell me, putting one program in the bugtracker I get its only one specific program, we don't fix.
Put in several programs in the bugtracker with same issue I get above message.

So you tell me how to put in bugs.

You can be assured that if I put in a bug with a program that its an example with which you can easily repeat the circumstances which causes the bug. Its by no means the only program with the problem.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 11:32:00 pm »
I would have just added a comment to ticket 189 stating that the behaviour is the same in GA4.

Having two tickets - 189 saying it doesn't work in GA3, and 199 saying it doesn't workin GA4 makes no sense to me...

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 01:41:35 am »
I would have just added a comment to ticket 189 stating that the behaviour is the same in GA4.

Having two tickets - 189 saying it doesn't work in GA3, and 199 saying it doesn't workin GA4 makes no sense to me...
Thanks Paul, but the header of the bug contains old information if with a new version the bug persists. So with filtering there is a possibility that you never see the comments about the new version. And I can't edit the header once the bug is filed, even if I am the owner.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 11:19:57 pm »
And I can't edit the header once the bug is filed, even if I am the owner.

Not true, even I can edit it with my netlabs.org id:

• Select the bug.
  • Scroll down.
  • Click on "> Modify Ticket".
  • Two group boxes open. The summary can be edited there.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 09:38:45 pm »
And I can't edit the header once the bug is filed, even if I am the owner.

Not true, even I can edit it with my netlabs.org id:

• Select the bug.
  • Scroll down.
  • Click on "> Modify Ticket".
  • Two group boxes open. The summary can be edited there.
Good for you, I can't, tried it many times.