Author Topic: QT5 simplebrowser  (Read 124996 times)

Remy

• View Profile
QT5 simplebrowser
« on: November 09, 2020, 09:26:54 pm »
After download and add of all missing dlls, trying to start "sh eun.sh" I have a "BUS ERROR" error message into the log file.
Any idea about this error ?
Thanks
Rémy

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: QT5 simplebrowser
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 10:47:22 pm »
Usually a memory error IIRC. Where did you download from?

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 02:23:26 am »
Usually a memory error IIRC. Where did you download from?

I've downloaded:
http://rpm.netlabs.org/test/qtwebtest5.7z
http://rpm.netlabs.org/test/Qt5Core.7z

Other needed dll's though ANPM
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 03:23:24 am by Remy »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 08:03:27 am »
Posting this from the Qt Simple Browser. Once I figured out how to run, tried to be fancy at first, it runs. It is very simple and slow and I wouldn't want to use it all the time, it is more of a proof of concept.
Did crash when I tried to load Github, rememered my login here, likely through a cookie. As a preview, I guess this is to be expected.
Do you know if Bitwise wants bug reports?

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 10:57:29 am »
Posting this from the Qt Simple Browser. Once I figured out how to run, tried to be fancy at first, it runs. It is very simple and slow and I wouldn't want to use it all the time, it is more of a proof of concept.
Did crash when I tried to load Github, rememered my login here, likely through a cookie. As a preview, I guess this is to be expected.
Do you know if Bitwise wants bug reports?

I don't know.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 06:41:25 am »
I've got it fairly stable by marking the DLLs to load high and increasing my VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT to 3072. Had a hard time marking QT5WebC.dll, kept hanging the computer until I copied it to my HPFS formatted ram drive.
It is a memory hog, even in single process mode. This may have caused the bus error.
It displays most everything I've tried, does well on the HTML5 test. Unluckily it is slow. Trying to play a YouTube video was frustrating just waiting for the ads to finish, it was running at perhaps a quarter frame a second, very low CPU usage though.
For now it'll be handy for the odd page that doesn't display and should only get better. Besides the speed issue, stuff like pasting a URL doesn't work here, little well drag'n'dropping one. Full screen isn't available on YouTube and it an extremely simple browser. I expect the backend will improve and we'll get better front ends.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 08:26:14 am »
A new version of highmem.exeis in the pipeline.

Copy/paste, video playback and lack of sound known and currently known undocumented issue's.
This is an internal beta we where still testing.

Roderick

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 09:10:13 pm »
I've got it fairly stable by marking the DLLs to load high and increasing my VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT to 3072. Had a hard time marking QT5WebC.dll, kept hanging the computer until I copied it to my HPFS formatted ram drive.
It is a memory hog, even in single process mode. This may have caused the bus error.
It displays most everything I've tried, does well on the HTML5 test. Unluckily it is slow. Trying to play a YouTube video was frustrating just waiting for the ads to finish, it was running at perhaps a quarter frame a second, very low CPU usage though.
For now it'll be handy for the odd page that doesn't display and should only get better. Besides the speed issue, stuff like pasting a URL doesn't work here, little well drag'n'dropping one. Full screen isn't available on YouTube and it an extremely simple browser. I expect the backend will improve and we'll get better front ends.

Download highmem.jpg and rename to highmem.exe. This fixes the hang on webkitc.dll.

Roderick

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 03:13:44 pm »

Download highmem.jpg and rename to highmem.exe. This fixes the hang on webkitc.dll.

Roderick

I replaced, the highmen.exe in my Apache open office and it could be my imagination, but open office appears to open faster than previously.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 03:27:07 pm by David Graser »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020, 04:35:47 pm »
Likely your imagination unless you hadn't marked the DLLs previously. IIRC, highmem.exe only changes a bit or 2 in the header of the DLL. The new highmem is much faster at marking, I think the old one read the whole DLL and the new one, just the beginning.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2020, 08:00:50 pm »
be carefull with the new highmem, I just got my system with application no more working due it set 2 modules to highmem while it should not
This makes highmem not working afterwards and I had to use above512 to unmak both wrongly marked dlls. 

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2020, 11:19:40 pm »
That is what happens when you download "internal" beta software  ;)
As in it does not have readme file...
Highmem is not to blame.

Two issue's can cause this: Did you mark the code and data segments to load high ?
Only mark the code segments.

Second issue:
There is a bug that when you load DLL's high they are not unloaded from memory.
This is a bug in the kernel...

Roderick Klein

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2020, 01:25:21 am »
That is what happens when you download "internal" beta software  ;)
As in it does not have readme file...
Highmem is not to blame.

Two issue's can cause this: Did you mark the code and data segments to load high ?
Only mark the code segments.

Second issue:
There is a bug that when you load DLL's high they are not unloaded from memory.
This is a bug in the kernel...

Roderick Klein

About first issue: yes
About second issue, I konw it and dlls marked as load high are left loaded. This way, always same dlls are reused instead of loading them again and again with lose of space.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2020, 08:32:03 am »
Can someone enlighten me why I would use the new highmem at all ? It does the very same thing as all the highmems that already exist but potentially it does them faster.
But it is a one time action to mark DLL code (and data) segments to load high. The change is persistent. You do not do it over and over again.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2020, 09:15:57 am »
For me, it's just the utility I'm used to to do the marking. Qt5WebC.dll is 243 MBs in size and it seemed to be a candidate to be marked high. I did first run it on my ram drive, formatted as HPFS and marking it high worked. After a trp and losing my ram drive due to having use the power button to reboot, I tried it on a JFS volume and it would hang the system.