OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Web applications

QT5 simplebrowser

<< < (3/44) > >>

Remy:
be carefull with the new highmem, I just got my system with application no more working due it set 2 modules to highmem while it should not
This makes highmem not working afterwards and I had to use above512 to unmak both wrongly marked dlls. 

Roderick Klein:
That is what happens when you download "internal" beta software  ;)
As in it does not have readme file...
Highmem is not to blame.

Two issue's can cause this: Did you mark the code and data segments to load high ?
Only mark the code segments.

Second issue:
There is a bug that when you load DLL's high they are not unloaded from memory.
This is a bug in the kernel...

Roderick Klein

Remy:

--- Quote from: Roderick Klein on November 12, 2020, 11:19:40 pm ---That is what happens when you download "internal" beta software  ;)
As in it does not have readme file...
Highmem is not to blame.

Two issue's can cause this: Did you mark the code and data segments to load high ?
Only mark the code segments.

Second issue:
There is a bug that when you load DLL's high they are not unloaded from memory.
This is a bug in the kernel...

Roderick Klein

--- End quote ---

About first issue: yes
About second issue, I konw it and dlls marked as load high are left loaded. This way, always same dlls are reused instead of loading them again and again with lose of space.

Lars:
Can someone enlighten me why I would use the new highmem at all ? It does the very same thing as all the highmems that already exist but potentially it does them faster.
But it is a one time action to mark DLL code (and data) segments to load high. The change is persistent. You do not do it over and over again.

Dave Yeo:
For me, it's just the utility I'm used to to do the marking. Qt5WebC.dll is 243 MBs in size and it seemed to be a candidate to be marked high. I did first run it on my ram drive, formatted as HPFS and marking it high worked. After a trp and losing my ram drive due to having use the power button to reboot, I tried it on a JFS volume and it would hang the system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version