OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Web applications

QT5 simplebrowser

<< < (44/44)

Dariusz Piatkowski:

--- Quote from: OS4User on November 21, 2021, 08:40:12 am ---...
--- Quote from: Dariusz Piatkowski on November 21, 2021, 12:18:51 am ---I do find this to be counterintuitive, expecting that should a VAL be set sky-high I should in fact be able to request a 1G JFS cache

--- End quote ---

Of course, it is  counterintuitive. And I have no idea why you came to conclusion  to make VAL sky-high. As I said, JFS cache situated in System Arena. So to have more space for JFS cache you have to increase System Arena, is't it ? As I also said, System Arena is between VAL and 4GB - so you have to set VAL as low as possible (say 512) to have max size of System Arena (3.5GB).

--- End quote ---

We have gotten quite a bit off-topic here (given the QT5 & browser focus), but I will wrap up my input into the conversation by stating the following: VAL is intended to provide the additional memory footprint for applications that need the bigger "box" boundaries. My remark re: "counterintuitive" was meant to say that since that setting is there, it should NOT override and/or allow the system settings, such as the JFS cache for example, to be impacted by a user specified VAL value. After all, unless AND until I can successfully boot I have no chance to run an application that may in fact require such a large VAL in order to operate successfully.

The "why" this hasn't been resolved in the kernel/whatever logic is what I find to be "counterintutive".

Anyways, good discussion, I genuinely wish we had more of these kinds of topics in a "underneath the covers" type of a forum perhaps?

roberto:

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on November 20, 2021, 05:50:00 pm ---For NSPR_OS2_NO_HIRES_TIMER, it only matters whether it is set or not and only affects programs using NSPR4, mostly the Mozilla apps though IIRC, VirtualBox also uses it. Here's the code from nsprpub/pr/src/md/os2/os2inrval.c,

--- End quote ---
Sorry, when restoring a previous copy, had less colors defined in the resolution and gave me a better than expected result. But errors when the browser is closed are new values . With this modification
Saludos

OS4User:

--- Quote from: Dariusz Piatkowski on November 21, 2021, 08:14:56 pm ---VAL is intended to provide the additional memory footprint for applications that need the bigger "box" boundaries.

--- End quote ---

VAL is intended to divide upper 3.5GB of virt address space between  high priv/shrd arena and system arena. Kernel takes VAL  value into consideration much earlier then FSD/PDD are loading (and JFS cache  allocating) - so no way to calculate  how big system arena has to be to accommodates all the parts of this puzzle. At the same time  nothing is preventing user to check how many free mem is in system arena after boot and adjust VAL accordingly to pass unused addresses from sys arena to high priv/shrd arena.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version