Author Topic: QT5 simplebrowser  (Read 124963 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: QT5 simplebrowser
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2021, 06:45:19 pm »
Hi Roberto, I'd guess that Bitwise currently has enough bugs on their plate and considering what Sylvan earlier posted, this being a technological preview, no bug reports yet.
Eventually they'll have a beta and ask for bug reports.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2021, 06:51:27 pm »
Hi Igor, interesting. What function crashed? Need a bit more of the trp report, namely the start of the stack trace, assuming that QT5GUI.DLL has its debug info intact.
The problem is our GCC port does not correctly align these instructions, it is being worked on but since only the unsupported OS4 kernel supports AVX, it likely isn't a priority, though SSE(2) does have the same problem at times.
Ideally for now might be a kernel switch in the OS4 kernel where you can turn off the AVX support flag. Well written programs will do 2 things, check that the CPU supports AVX and check that the Operating System supports AVX. The OS needs to save those registers when task switching.

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2021, 07:36:50 pm »
Hi Dave

unsupported OS4 kernel

So far  OS/4 kernel has been supported  not that bad:)

Well written programs will do 2 things, check that the CPU supports AVX and check that the Operating System supports AVX. The OS needs to save those registers when task switching.

As far as I know, programs only need to check if the OS supports AVX.

It works lake this:  OS tries to detect AVX,  if it is available  -  OS changes its context switching code to AVX one and sets a flag - "AVX supported"  for  programs.

So programs should either not have AVX code at all, or have a separate branch for AVX code based on the "AVX supported" flag.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2021, 08:42:48 pm »
Maybe I should have worded "supported" better. Arca Noae absolutely refuses to support the OS4 kernel including threatening to kick off any testers caught using it and Bitwise, I assume, is more interested in supporting the official kernel.
As for detecting AVX support, looking at various code, most of it seems to test for both CPU and OS support before taking the AVX path.

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2021, 08:54:14 pm »
...hreatening to kick off any testers caught using it..
Arca probably had some reason for this - testing is a rather sensitive process, the less variable components there are, the better.

As for detecting AVX support, looking at various code, most of it seems to test for both CPU and OS support before taking the AVX path.

It's hard to say, but for programs, the presence of AVX is completely useless without OS's support.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 09:15:00 pm by OS4User »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2021, 09:11:37 pm »
Well, for something not running in a multi-tasking environment, like pure DOS, OS support wouldn't matter.
I guess the question is whether all operating systems test the CPU before setting the AVX supported flag or if some just automatically set it.
We're still left with the problem that our GCC doesn't do alignment well enough to support AVX, resulting in crashes like Igor's. Along with whether disabling it is straight forward. I have no idea about the browser and its support and whether a simple configure argument will disable it or the code needs hacking. Be interesting what functions are using AVX.

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2021, 09:24:40 pm »
Well, for something not running in a multi-tasking environment, like pure DOS, OS support wouldn't matter.
sure

I guess the question is whether all operating systems test the CPU before setting the AVX supported flag or if some just automatically set it.

If OS sets "AVX supported" flag  without the real support - it will not work.

We're still left with the problem that our GCC doesn't do alignment well enough to support AVX, resulting in crashes like Igor's. Along with whether disabling it is straight forward. I have no idea about the browser and its support and whether a simple configure argument will disable it or the code needs hacking. Be interesting what functions are using AVX.

GCC  does necessary alignment very well, but it gets lost in a.out format and linking.

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2021, 04:30:07 pm »
I seem to be having troubles loading it on my end as well :-[

Loading DLL 'libcx0' --> C:\USR\LIB\LIBCX0.DLL.
Loading DLL 'libcn0' --> C:\USR\LIB\LIBCN0.DLL.
Loading DLL 'stdcpp6' --> C:\USR\LIB\STDCPP6.DLL.
Loading DLL 'Qt5Core' --> C:\PROGRAMS\QTWEBTEST5_4\QT5CORE.DLL.
Loading DLL 'Qt5Wdgt' --> C:\USR\LIB\QT5WDGT.DLL.
Loading DLL 'Qt5WebW' --> NOT loaded!
Unable to load DLL 'Qt5WebW'.  DosLoadModule returned: 2
OS/2 reports 'QT5Q' contributed to the failure.
Loading DLL 'Qt5Gui' --> C:\USR\LIB\QT5GUI.DLL.
Loading DLL 'Qt5Net' --> C:\USR\LIB\QT5NET.DLL.
Loading DLL 'Qt5WebC' --> NOT loaded!
Unable to load DLL 'Qt5WebC'.  DosLoadModule returned: 2
OS/2 reports 'QT5Q' contributed to the failure.
Loading DLL 'gcc1' --> C:\USR\LIB\GCC1.DLL.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2021, 06:22:39 pm »
Hi Ibrahim, how did you install? Here I installed it into its own directory, run.sh will set BEGINLIBPATH etc.

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2021, 09:19:14 pm »
Hi Dave.

I copied it into it's own directory (C:\PROGRAMS\qtwebtest5_4) which I've then added under PATH (LIBPATH had no success either) in config.sys. I've added added the check.log in case it helps; from what I can see, it's looking for DLLs which are definitely installed and updated from the Netlabs-exp repo where required.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 09:22:17 pm by Ibrahim Hakeem »

TeLLie

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2021, 10:15:08 pm »
Hi Dave.

I copied it into it's own directory (C:\PROGRAMS\qtwebtest5_4) which I've then added under PATH (LIBPATH had no success either) in config.sys. I've added added the check.log in case it helps; from what I can see, it's looking for DLLs which are definitely installed and updated from the Netlabs-exp repo where required.

Hi
Did you install Qt5-qtdeclarative-5.13.1-1.oc00.i686
As that provide the QT5Q.dll afaik
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 10:16:56 pm by TeLLie »

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2021, 11:14:37 pm »
Maybe ir would help if the developers put together a zip file of ALL the correct extra DLLs so anyone trying the software could put them in the program directory and start the program with a CMD script and beginlibpath statement.  That way anone trsting the program could be sure that they have all the necessary support ti get it running.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2021, 02:22:57 am »
Hi Ibrahim, Tellie's advice about Qt5-qtdeclarative looks correct.
You shouldn't need to add it to your PATH or LIBPATH. Just create a program object pointing at sh.exe with run.sh as the parameter and the working directory where you installed it.

Hi Ivan, the developers don't seem interested in creating a full package, they did include the means to figure it out, a working copy of highmem, really need to load the QT5 DLLs high and directions as well as a sh script to figure out where you're running it from and set BEGINLIBPATH and LIBPATHSTRICT.
One thing is the DLLs themselves are a moving target, tomorrow there may be an updated DLL that fixes a bug for example.
Unluckily we now are supposed to the RPM thing. Since I didn't want to update to netlabs-exp here, I wrapped the whole thing in a script to use a different unixroot.

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2021, 09:30:44 am »
It was absolutely correct! Thank you folks for the help  ;D

Eduardo Vila Echagüe

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2021, 11:41:38 pm »
I couldn't make simplebrowser work until I upgraded my RAM from to 2GB to 4 GB. Am I doing something wrong, or 2GB PCs will not be able to run the new browser? Did anyone make it work in 2GB? Please share with us the procedure.

Eduardo Vila Echagüe