Author Topic: QT5 simplebrowser  (Read 124967 times)

Remy

• View Profile
Re: QT5 simplebrowser
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2021, 02:00:31 am »
Hi Roderick,

It is not easy to make donation due paypal doesn't provide any option to pay without a paypla account. This is a paypal setting issue. I has this issue with some US shops and after they corrected they setting with paypal assitance, all was made right.

Rémy

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2021, 08:24:37 am »
I will check I thought you could also pay with creditcards with logging in.

You live in France right, when the server is backup, check www.os2voice.org/membership.html. You can also send a donation to our Dutch Bank acocunt.
Please specify with the payment its for QT sponsorship. And while we would like to accept checks, please do not send checks to VOICE.
Its extremely expensive to process a check for small amounts. If you send a check 20 Euro it would most likely cost just about the same amount to process it.

Roderick

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2021, 09:05:35 am »
It is not easy to make donation due paypal ...
I usually donate via https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop. With credit card. Or direct bank transfer which is also a good choice here within the EU. I don't have a PayPal account and I never will have one.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2021, 10:12:05 am »

You live in France right, when the server is backup, check www.os2voice.org/membership.html. You can also send a donation to our Dutch Bank acocunt.
Please specify with the payment its for QT sponsorship. And while we would like to accept checks, please do not send checks to VOICE.
Its extremely expensive to process a check for small amounts. If you send a check 20 Euro it would most likely cost just about the same amount to process it.

Roderick

There are options under paypal you have to enable to allow paiement without user login (when no paypal account like me) using visa/mastercard or other bank cards for paiement.
I checked Andi's provided link but this one has extra taxes due it is a product order and not a donation like os2voice.

Please, prevent me as soon donation through visa/mastercard without login is available.
Of course, I'll chek as soon your provided link is available too.

Regards
Rémy
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 10:18:52 am by Remy »

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2021, 12:53:58 am »

Roderick

It doesn't work and I only will pay using a CB.
Please correct you paypal setting to allow not registered paypal user to pay using other CB.
Else, I'm not able to make a donation.
Thanks

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2021, 01:28:11 am »

Roderick

It doesn't work and I only will pay using a CB.
Please correct you paypal setting to allow not registered paypal user to pay using other CB.
Else, I'm not able to make a donation.
Thanks

You can donate at the Arca Noae site in its store. 

https://www.arcanoae.com/shop/

Look under Store > Support and Sponsoring > bww bitwise works GmbH sponsor units.  There are 5 options to pay.  This is where I do my sponsoring.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 01:39:48 am by David Graser »

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2021, 04:45:56 pm »
Thanks David, it works well through Arca Noae.
Regards
Rémy

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2021, 09:35:24 pm »
Based on the amount of email addreses OS/2 VOICE has collected via Paypal for donations I would say maybe between 5 and 10% of the OS/2 community has donated. The rest download free of charge....
Roderick
I don't do Paypal, paid direct, so be careful with your assumptions.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2021, 10:23:30 pm »
Based on the amount of email addreses OS/2 VOICE has collected via Paypal for donations I would say maybe between 5 and 10% of the
OS/2 community has donated. The rest download free of charge....

I'll be upfront - I haven't donated. I have no no personal need for an OS/2 based browser. Since ~2015 all my development work has been done in Virtualbox with AOS running virtually under linux.

I also barely use rpm/yum so not sure I'd be included in the above anyway....

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2021, 12:46:43 am »
Based on the amount of email addreses OS/2 VOICE has collected via Paypal for donations I would say maybe between 5 and 10% of the OS/2 community has donated. The rest download free of charge....
Roderick

Its not an assumption sadly. Do you know how much money for BWW came in via OS/2 VOICE for the total QT project ?

http://www.os2voice.org/images/Financial_Report_2019.pdf
2019 25.400,00 Euro we sponsored BWW with.

2020 report is still to be published, but we collected 20.600,00 Euro over 2020.

Effectively VOICE is the pushing locomotive behind collecting funding for BWW.
We gladly help BWW!

Roderick

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2021, 12:47:55 am »
I would say, I personally donated during the last almost 3 1/2 years a fair amount of money, donated some hardware and collected money with Thomas Müller together during our last User Meetings in Cologne (this is NOT fishing for complements).

I may be one of the minority of users whom still use OS/2 instead of ArcaOS (I would and do advise everyone asking me to use ArcaOS) and what makes me thinking about the browser is this:

It is recommended to use the 14.202 Kernel, this Kernel is (for sure for some good reason) permitted only to use in combination with ArcaOS.

The conclusion as for now is for me: The new Browser will not (reliable if at all) run on OS/2 or eComStation Installations. I wonder if in the future the same will happen to a possible NVMe Driver i.e. ArcaNoae has to decide on its own, while having to follow the contract given/made with IBM.

But, will ArcaOS be the only future for OS/2? I am still very happy to use the AN Software Subscription for Drivers to have an up to date Warp 4.52 without ANPM (this is my special vision of using OS/2).

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2021, 12:51:56 am »
Hi Roderick,

It is not easy to make donation due paypal doesn't provide any option to pay without a paypla account. This is a paypal setting issue. I has this issue with some US shops and after they corrected they setting with paypal assitance, all was made right.

Rémy

I missed that posting because of being at work. I working on donation.os2voice.org. Its not finished yet but then you can pay witrh creditcards without a Paypal account. The website is however not live yet!

Roderick

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2021, 12:52:28 am »
Roderick

Its not an assumption sadly. Do you know how much money for BWW came in via OS/2 VOICE for the total QT project ?

http://www.os2voice.org/images/Financial_Report_2019.pdf
2019 25.400,00 Euro we sponsored BWW with.

2020 report is still to be published, but we collected 20.600,00 Euro over 2020.

Effectively VOICE is the pushing locomotive behind collecting funding for BWW.
We gladly help BWW!

Roderick

That makes me wonder, Roderick. I hope you do not count the Donations made by all the attendences,Thomas Müller and me during the OS/2 user Meetings, the collections I started on OS2.Org (the german community) and the money I donated myself as "Donated via OS2VOICE". That would not be true.

I would guess this collections here named "from us" should have bring some amount of 10.000 - 13.000 Euro to bww.

You are not the only locomotion that put a lot of efforts in it, and it is some kind of frustrating and demotivating to read this.

The New Browser is NOT an "OS2VOICE ONLY" Project!

« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 12:57:22 am by Sigurd Fastenrath »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2021, 01:20:28 am »
About the need for the 14.202 kernel, which IBM does not allow to be separately distributed I believe. The main reason for needing it is to not leak high memory. It should be possible to preload and keep the DLLs loaded like we do with mozturbo, to avoid the issue (or reboot more often) and Remy has written a general purpose DLL loader which should work for the DLLs.
Drivers that are written by Arca Noae such as the NVMe driver should be available for subscribers. I can't talk for Arca Noae, so this is a guess.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2021, 02:02:47 am »
While its a free world a lot of people in my opinion take the free development of BWW simply for granted.
As I mentioned in my Warpstock US presentation we checked the logs of the Netlabs RPM server.
In about one month (during the summer break). We had about 600 unique IP addresses connect with Arca Noae Package Manager to download updates. Knowing that by far not everybody uses ANPM on a daily basis that gives a much better inside in the private users using OS/2/ArcaOS. Its a bigger number then we thought it is.

Please Roderick, remove this from your speech. It sounds like Microsoft counting the statistics of MS Office piracy and crying out loud they could be making more money.

The RPM server statistics are not potential donators, if you ever think about charging money for the libraries on the netlabs RPM it will backfire. It may get money the first two months and later squeeze more people out of the community. That is called "bread for today, hunger for tomorrow" in simple words. In my experience only desperate salesman uses that strategy to cash their check at the end of the month and burn the customer for any future relationship within the company.

The donations are what they are, and I don't like treating the OS/2 community members as cheapo bastards living at the expense of software developers. It is better to inspire people to support the project by showing how important it is for our community and how much progress had Bitwise showed, instead of insulting the community saying that they haven't given enough.

The modern browser is an important project for the community and a lot of people had chipped in knowing that Bitwise can deliver. I can only suggest to change your speech into something more positive and don't get frustrated.

Regards
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 02:15:06 am by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.