Author Topic: QT5 simplebrowser  (Read 125021 times)

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
Re: QT5 simplebrowser
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2021, 03:34:29 pm »
I would say, I personally donated during the last almost 3 1/2 years a fair amount of money, donated some hardware and collected money with Thomas Müller together during our last User Meetings in Cologne (this is NOT fishing for complements).

I may be one of the minority of users whom still use OS/2 instead of ArcaOS (I would and do advise everyone asking me to use ArcaOS) and what makes me thinking about the browser is this:

It is recommended to use the 14.202 Kernel, this Kernel is (for sure for some good reason) permitted only to use in combination with ArcaOS.

The conclusion as for now is for me: The new Browser will not (reliable if at all) run on OS/2 or eComStation Installations. I wonder if in the future the same will happen to a possible NVMe Driver i.e. ArcaNoae has to decide on its own, while having to follow the contract given/made with IBM.

But, will ArcaOS be the only future for OS/2? I am still very happy to use the AN Software Subscription for Drivers to have an up to date Warp 4.52 without ANPM (this is my special vision of using OS/2).

While testing the new QT based browser an issue was found that the highres timer (while not part of the ACPI specs) the ACPI.PSD provides this functionality. Dmitry had opened a ticket with AN and the latest ACPI a modification was made to the highres worked better (?). I do not know what was modified. As for the kernel the issue is that the if you want to load more programs next to each other with the new browser running you need to run highmem.exe to load the code segments of large programs such as the new browser high. See the readme.txt for details.

Kernel 14.202 has fix that when a DLL is loaded high and its unloaded so the memory is actually released! Other IBM kernels do not have this feature.
So you will run out high memory pretty quickly if you load and unload DLL in high memory....

Roderick

Roderick

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2021, 03:56:29 pm »
Based on the amount of email addreses OS/2 VOICE has collected via Paypal for donations I would say maybe between 5 and 10% of the OS/2 community has donated. The rest download free of charge....
Roderick
I don't do Paypal, paid direct, so be careful with your assumptions.

Its not an assumption sadly. Do you know how much money for BWW came in via OS/2 VOICE for the total QT project ?

http://www.os2voice.org/images/Financial_Report_2019.pdf
2019 25.400,00 Euro we sponsored BWW with.

2020 report is still to be published, but we collected 20.600,00 Euro over 2020.

Effectively VOICE is the pushing locomotive behind collecting funding for BWW.
We gladly help BWW!

Roderick

That makes me wonder, Roderick. I hope you do not count the Donations made by all the attendences,Thomas Müller and me during the OS/2 user Meetings, the collections I started on OS2.Org (the german community) and the money I donated myself as "Donated via OS2VOICE". That would not be true.

I would guess this collections here named "from us" should have bring some amount of 10.000 - 13.000 Euro to bww.

You are not the only locomotion that put a lot of efforts in it, and it is some kind of frustrating and demotivating to read this.

The New Browser is NOT an "OS2VOICE ONLY" Project!

Oke I did not mention the efforts via os2.org that is completely true and a valid statement Sigurd, I had forgotten about that writing
late in the night. Sorry about that!  In 2019 (I would need to check our records). OS/2 VOICE funded work on the Firefox 45 brower for 2 or 3 months in 2019. All payments made to BWW are listed in the financial year reports as one number, not split up per project.

What is was trying to make clear is that every bit of spare time I had left I spent on collecting funding for the new browser.
I also initiated the project with BWW in Ocotber 2017. 
http://articles.os2voice.org/category/software/11-sponsorship-needed-for-new-os-2-web-browser.html

At that time it was already clear to me we needed todo something and it was either Pale Moon or QT based web browser.

Joop mentioned that I should be careful with my assumptions. Well I will explain further in my follow up post what my conclusions are based on.
Just to clarify.

Sorry for not mentioning your efforts.

Roderick
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 04:19:35 pm by Roderick Klein »

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2021, 03:59:02 pm »
I want to acknowledge the people who have donated to VOICE or BitWiseWorks over the years to support using our browser. Roderick in particular has raised a lot of money by convincing people to donate. I offer thanks to him and to everyone who has donated.

Now with the new browser is an opportunity to fund BitWiseWorks in an ongoing manner, by selling software subscriptions.

But as a potential customer, I'd be skeptical of the new browser, and want to try it before buying. I believe that a well run subscription program would be voluntary. If you follow my recommendation, the customer can download new versions free of charge, but would be reminded of their responsibility/opportunity to subscribe.

Any more forceful will push people away from using OS/2, and that is contrary to the mission of OS2VOICE.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2021, 07:24:29 pm »
So here is the thing: our platform no longer (for some time now actually, but we all know this) seems to have the momentum to support multiple paths of approach and possibly multiple concurrent large projects. I think that is clear to all.

While I have no issue with donations (having done so multiple times over the years, sometimes to big projects, at other times to small one-off type of things), I am rather troubled by a what appears to be a disjoint between the only two big players on our platform, that being: ArcaNoae and BWW.

Roderick, as such, I'm curious if you can provide an update on what's being done to develop a consistent approach to "new OS/2 browser" by these two large players? I do not know if your role in this context allows you to provide such a summary (from a content awarness perspective as opposed to NDA type of limitation), but if anyone can, I think that would provide a badly needed level of clarity to the community.

Look, we - the "little people" - can do our best to sponsor, but in my mind it is clear that the product will not see the light of the day (in a finished and GA level quality, thus usable as a replacement for current FF 45.x) unless a different approach is found. That currently missing approach is a consistent funding and support model being collaboratively developed by AN and BWW.

In the meantime, what you have done so far is a pile of work, no doubt about it, and it takes that special "love" for this OS/2 thing that I think all of us share and can readily agree on. That is greatly appreciated!!!

But from the bigger picture perspective, am I the only one thinking along those lines?

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2021, 09:18:07 pm »
Sorry for not mentioning your efforts.
Roderick

Not mine efforts, the efforts of our community here in D A CH (Germany, Austria, Switzerland) was what I meant.

Karlovac

« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2021, 01:21:30 pm »
With firefox version 52... from WinXp, the pages I visit are still loaded and with ver. 49 there are fewer and fewer of them. Is it working on firefox52, or is the new browser the only opportunity to access the internet from Arca?
Regards
Davorin

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2021, 04:18:57 pm »
Firefox Version 45 was and is the last supported Version of Firefox on OS/2 or eCS or ArcaOS.
The QT based browser that is currently being worked on is the only modern browser that will be supported.

At least that is my last information.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2021, 05:46:24 pm »
There is the possibility of compiling 52ESR on OS/2, I did some work on it and got lost in the build system updates, they switched from autoconf213 based to Python based and my skills are limited.

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2021, 11:16:41 am »
I cannot start simplebrowser.exe:

SYS1804: The system cannot find the file KAI1.

yum netlabs-exp and netlabs-rel has been installed. Any idea?

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2021, 12:32:27 pm »
SYS1804: The system cannot find the file KAI1.

That means you don't have libkai-2.0.0-1 installed. Older versions of libkai only contained kai0.dll .

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2021, 06:40:21 pm »
OK, found. But now EVNT217 is missing and *EVNT* is not found in YUM and Package Manager.

A batch file with necessary YUM commands to instal Simplebrowser would be useful.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2021, 06:53:54 pm »
Looks like libevent is what you want:

[C:\]yum provides */evnt*
libevent-2.1.11-2.oc00.i686 : Abstract asynchronous event notification library
Repo        : netlabs-rel
Matched from:
Filename    : /@unixroot/usr/lib/evnto217.dll
Filename    : /@unixroot/usr/lib/evnte217.dll
Filename    : /@unixroot/usr/lib/evntc217.dll
Filename    : /@unixroot/usr/lib/evnt217.dll
Filename    : /@unixroot/usr/lib/evntp217.dll

Mo

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2021, 07:01:17 pm »
OK, found. But now EVNT217 is missing and *EVNT* is not found in YUM and Package Manager.

A batch file with necessary YUM commands to instal Simplebrowser would be useful.

The readme.txt states whats needed:

3. In ANPM choose the menu option
   Manage -> Yum Tools -> Quick Install
In the input field enter the text: QT5
and let ANPM install all the QT 5 packages that are listed.

4. From ANPM again choose the "Quick Install" menu option.
In the input field enter the text: ffmpeg-libs
and let ANPM install all the DLLs that are listed.

5. Repeat the above steps with:
   libevent
   minizip
   libxlst
   libkai

* 6. It is recommended that you now reboot your system! *

its also recommended to use this command to launch the browser:

sh run.sh

If i use simplebrowser.exe instead it starts but traps when trying to open a url

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2021, 08:27:39 pm »
its also recommended to use this command to launch the browser:

sh run.sh

If i use simplebrowser.exe instead it starts but traps when trying to open a url

Probably setting QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM_FLAGS=--single-process in your environment is the big one as multi-process wasn't working in this build. Eventually each tab will have its own process so a tab crashing shouldn't affect other tabs.

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2021, 08:56:07 pm »
HI Dave, I can't make it work either, looks like there is no such thing as  libkai-2.0.0-1
I've tried using single processers and multiple processers as well as OS4 & OS2 kernels.

klipp
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 09:00:42 pm by R.M. Klippstein »