Author Topic: QT5 simplebrowser  (Read 124957 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: QT5 simplebrowser
« Reply #135 on: February 25, 2021, 12:13:42 am »
I use SET BEGINLIBPATH with the freezed folder so I have no impact from any updates of the libraries.

Make sure you also use LIBPATHSTRICT, otherwise any libraries already loaded will be used.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 25, 2021, 11:11:22 pm »
While its a free world a lot of people in my opinion take the free development of BWW simply for granted.
As I mentioned in my Warpstock US presentation we checked the logs of the Netlabs RPM server.
In about one month (during the summer break). We had about 600 unique IP addresses connect with Arca Noae Package Manager to download updates. Knowing that by far not everybody uses ANPM on a daily basis that gives a much better inside in the private users using OS/2/ArcaOS. Its a bigger number then we thought it is.

Please Roderick, remove this from your speech. It sounds like Microsoft counting the statistics of MS Office piracy and crying out loud they could be making more money.

The RPM server statistics are not potential donators, if you ever think about charging money for the libraries on the netlabs RPM it will backfire. It may get money the first two months and later squeeze more people out of the community. That is called "bread for today, hunger for tomorrow" in simple words. In my experience only desperate salesman uses that strategy to cash their check at the end of the month and burn the customer for any future relationship within the company.

The donations are what they are, and I don't like treating the OS/2 community members as cheapo bastards living at the expense of software developers. It is better to inspire people to support the project by showing how important it is for our community and how much progress had Bitwise showed, instead of insulting the community saying that they haven't given enough.

The modern browser is an important project for the community and a lot of people had chipped in knowing that Bitwise can deliver. I can only suggest to change your speech into something more positive and don't get frustrated.

Regards
Martin I was busy at work, that is why I am responding late. I still think a response is proper to give.

From my perspective my speech is and has been positive. I have been writing news letters on articles.os2voice.org about the new browser.
I think I have done everything I can do to inspire people.

What I was trying to make clear is that I have been collecting a large amount of the money needed for the new browser via OS/2 VOICE.
But that OS/2 VOICE has 100 email addresses in our of people that donate/donated. Some donations went via the German
OS/2 community other via the BWW webshop. The biggest part of the donations came via OS/2 VOICE to BWW

Martin wrote:
"The RPM server statistics are not potential donators, if you ever think about charging money for the libraries on the netlabs RPM it will backfire."

Why are people that are using ANPM to download RPM packages from rpm.netlabs.org not potential donors ?
The point is that just about all the DLL files in rpm.netlabs.org are from BWW.

I BTW never mentioned anywhere that the RPM files would go behind locked doors.

Nobody is a salesmen here. In 2019 Silvan put in about 7000 Euro privately to help BWW pay for Dmitry his salary.  OS/2 VOICE board members do not get paid for work, just like board memebers of Warpstock US.

When I see that about 600 people download RPM updates from BWW and over a period of 3 years I get about 100 email addresses....

All I am pointing out is that of the 100 email address we have about 7 to 8 people paid about 70% of what VOICE has sponsored BWW
over the last 2 years... Yes one person donated more then 10.000 Dollars over the last 2 years...

This message is/was an SOS to the OS/2 community again that rpm.netlabs.org needs money to be updated by BWW.
And if people can not give a donation, especially in the corona crisis I can understand that.
I however see how many donations come in...

The new browser can be downloaded free of charge as the current plans are. But it will have screen it you can not remove unless you make a
minimal donation. Also updates and support will only be provided. So basically the idea is the same with the browser.  Sell it as Open Office binaries how they are currently distributed.

Until we reach that point, we need more donations to finish the browser.

Roderick

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #137 on: February 25, 2021, 11:56:52 pm »
Roderick. Do not let the need for resources for this project get you desperate, people already took your post like some kind of insult and it will backfire and screw the goal of the project.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 12:38:48 am by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Jan-Erik Lärka

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 08, 2021, 08:00:53 pm »
If you use ANPM and update everything as specified you'll have the smoothest ride to test the simplebrowser.
I think it is very good as one can use it on sites that require modern browsers. It play movies on play sites but there are some glitches here and there that can be addressed with more work. Libraries have no value on their own, but they're crucial for the applications that use them to do what we need in the end. The simplebrowser is one of many applications that use a bunch of these libraries to turn all the advanced stuff into useful tools for everyday use.

The only package that cause me problems is libicu in combination with OpenOffice 4.1.7, that use something available in libicu 56.2 and earlier that doesn't exist (or behave differently/use other function parameters/...) in libicu 65.x and the new 68.x. One could install libicu 68.x and harvest those files and copy them to the simplebrowser folder.
Downgrade to libicu 56.2 and from that run OpenOffice and the browser without switching library.
There's however no instruction where to report such findings... so I'll keep my mouth shut, unless someone can tell me where to report it and how.

Anyone got a script to extract the files needed?

Martin and Roderick both have interesting points, I can see both, and more.

I've donated money over the years and also some to this project to get a new browser engine. I do however struggle to see how (especially non core) projects can produce something useful without funding as we can't expect forever "time donations" by developers as perhaps was possible in the past. The more people that share the same interest and goal, the better as many small streams of money can form rivers. A company can't print money to pay their workers, but has to rely on its customers to accumulate money to improve the product or service it provide.

Technology that we want/need to port but is out of reach due to their heritage in other systems that deviate more and more from OS/2 design, may have to be paid for. Such work that can't wait for a volunteer developer to do in his/her spare time three or four years from now. It's not easy to port applications (or write from scratch either) for OS/2, and therefore not "free" (as in no money) just because it is free on another platform. Chunks of code has to be rewritten to run in OS/2 and that is what we chip in to pay for. More work has to be put into it as other systems develop away from the traditional way. Free software take time to rewrite/recompile/port... and thus cost money to get on this os on a regular basis. But I'm pleased that there are highly skilled developers that can be paid to work to produce software.

Do include us Martin in the vision how to keep development pace while maintaining developers with the right skill set in combination with current and up to date software.

Regards,
//Jan-Erik

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 08, 2021, 08:12:44 pm »
The only package that cause me problems is libicu in combination with OpenOffice 4.1.7, that use something available in libicu 56.2 and earlier that doesn't exist (or behave differently/use other function parameters/...) in libicu 65.x and the new 68.x. One could install libicu 68.x and harvest those files and copy them to the simplebrowser folder.
Downgrade to libicu 56.2 and from that run OpenOffice and the browser without switching library.
There's however no instruction where to report such findings... so I'll keep my mouth shut, unless someone can tell me where to report it and how.

Have you tried yum install libicu-legacy ?

Jan-Erik Lärka

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 09, 2021, 06:50:09 pm »
Yes, (after I SET LANG=en_US or yum crash in libc until they fix it) but libicu-legacy does nothing.

Now (a few hours later) I've unpacked the icu*.dlls with Zippy from the rpm package in C:\var\cache\yum\netlabs-rel\packages\libicu-56.1-2.oc00.i686.rpm to the program folder for OpenOffice D:\Programs\OpenOffice\program and now I can run Writer, Firefox, QT Browser, Thunderbird and SMPlayer at the same time (though perhaps not under that heavy load just yet). But it is awesome!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 10:17:03 pm by Jan-Erik Lärka »

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 09, 2021, 11:51:46 pm »
Yes, (after I SET LANG=en_US or yum crash in libc until they fix it) but libicu-legacy does nothing.

The crash has been fixed (see https://github.com/bitwiseworks/pthread-os2/issues/11 and https://github.com/bitwiseworks/pthread-os2/issues/12)  and pthread 0.2.4-1 can be found in the Netlabs experimental repository.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #142 on: March 14, 2021, 03:03:32 am »
Hi

Today I got some little time to test "Qt5 simplebrowser", on my second try it was very stable with YouTube.

But I wanted a more challenging test. I tried the open source webconference tool Jitsi. https://meet.jit.si
I created a conference from a Windows machine and access like an additional user from "Qt5 simplebrowser". The first time it crashed instantly, but the second time it worked nice. I was able to see and hear myself.

Please notice that from the ArcaOS Qt5 simplebrowser you can not transmit audio or video, but I was able to hear and see (myself) streaming from the Windows machine.

Regards
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 03:05:59 am by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #143 on: March 14, 2021, 03:11:04 am »
Hi

I also works with IBM Blueworks live to create business processes. And seems to be working fine.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #144 on: March 14, 2021, 03:19:01 am »
What about a x86 emulator running on the browser.

I tried: http://copy.sh/v86
And I run Windows 3.1. It worked but I had some mouse issues.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 01, 2021, 09:10:22 am »
Not directly related to the simplebrowser, but sad news at https://www.theregister.com/2021/03/31/tenfourfox_dev_quits/

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #146 on: April 01, 2021, 03:49:10 pm »
Thanks, Paul!

For me, the exciting thing was a pointer to another article with a news site that would probably work on IBM Web Explorer.

http://68k.news/

Philadelphia retro computing enthusiast Sean Malseed, have opted to create parts of the modern internet in a way that's intelligible to the earliest of machines.

His latest effort is a reworking of Google News designed to run on browsers as early as Netscape 1.1, first released in mid-1995
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #147 on: April 19, 2021, 10:39:35 pm »
Hi

I also tried Element (formerly known as Riot) for chat  (Matrix and IRC). It worked fine for a while, the browser crashed twice, but there is hope for the final release.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

David Kiley

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 06, 2021, 09:52:47 am »
But, will ArcaOS be the only future for OS/2? I am still very happy to use the AN Software Subscription for Drivers to have an up to date Warp 4.52 without ANPM (this is my special vision of using OS/2).
I agree that I also don't think legacy OS/2 users & ecomstation users should be "locked out" of the castle like criminals.
Unfortunately the os/2 community seems to be taking a bit of a dark tone as of recently from what i've seen.

While I appreciate all the great work Arca Noae has done - Lewis Rosenthal has strongly implied on this forum in the past that he considers people that don't keep their subscriptions "active" bad customers.and that kind of attitude is being displayed here as well.

I get that the platform needs resources but it's definitely getting old - since the only thing keeping me using the OS is my interest in it :) which could disappear rather quickly. I've spent more money on the platform then I really even have gotten back.. for example I purchased access to openoffice not once but twice and haven't even really used it yet at all.
I purchased my arcaos iso and then forgot to download it on time and ended up "updating" just to get access to my iso again.
I purchased RJ CD writer when I was using ecomstation but the license apparently doesn't work on Arcaos... since it was locked to ECS... so that money was just down the drain.
If anything people owe me money back from the return on investment i've gotten as of lately:). (I jest there lol since I don't expect money back from my own decisions)

It would be better to motivate people with positivity from the way I see it..... or I could start sending people a bill to punish all the companies that iv'e foolishly spent money on :D :D :D :D :D.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 10:13:44 am by David Kiley »

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 06, 2021, 03:00:47 pm »
But, will ArcaOS be the only future for OS/2? I am still very happy to use the AN Software Subscription for Drivers to have an up to date Warp 4.52 without ANPM (this is my special vision of using OS/2).
I agree that I also don't think legacy OS/2 users & ecomstation users should be "locked out" of the castle like criminals.
Unfortunately the os/2 community seems to be taking a bit of a dark tone as of recently from what i've seen.

While I appreciate all the great work Arca Noae has done - Lewis Rosenthal has strongly implied on this forum in the past that he considers people that don't keep their subscriptions "active" bad customers.and that kind of attitude is being displayed here as well.

I get that the platform needs resources but it's definitely getting old - since the only thing keeping me using the OS is my interest in it :) which could disappear rather quickly. I've spent more money on the platform then I really even have gotten back.. for example I purchased access to openoffice not once but twice and haven't even really used it yet at all.
I purchased my arcaos iso and then forgot to download it on time and ended up "updating" just to get access to my iso again.
I purchased RJ CD writer when I was using ecomstation but the license apparently doesn't work on Arcaos... since it was locked to ECS... so that money was just down the drain.
If anything people owe me money back from the return on investment i've gotten as of lately:). (I jest there lol since I don't expect money back from my own decisions)

It would be better to motivate people with positivity from the way I see it..... or I could start sending people a bill to punish all the companies that iv'e foolishly spent money on :D :D :D :D :D.

I think what Lewis was kind of saying is that they had people who purchased a license for ArcaOS. Then they have a subscription and they let it expire and then 2 or 3 years later want to buy a subscription when they need support.  The way I understand if you let your subscription expire for more then 12 months you pay a reinstatement fee.  At the end of the day the ongoing development has to be paid somehow.

That said I get the impression ArcaOS is really picking up on a lot of its backlog. Wifi drivers are in development, new Uniaud, NVMe support, UEFI and GPT support, USB XHCD support.

As for your point about RSJ I can comment on RSJ to some extend. eComStation came with a limited version of RSJ and it had to tied to eComStation somehow. I know because I made the deal with RSJ uears ago. That said the full license of RSJ you can/could buy should just work on ArcaOS. Its the version that came with eComStation that only runs on eCS. Did you accidently somehow install the version from RSJ for eCS ? Or was there update version that was also tied to eCS ? I can not remember 100% for certain. Its about 15 years ago.

RSJ might not work with the OS2AHCI driver, is that case ?

Roderick