Author Topic: OS/2 Warp 3.0 install on Asus P5PE-VM, Pentium 4  (Read 4610 times)

davidhs

OS/2 Warp 3.0 install on Asus P5PE-VM, Pentium 4
« on: November 12, 2020, 03:35:40 pm »
Hi!

I just found out about OS/2 and it seems to be interesting, so I'm trying to install it to my current PC.

Turns out when I try to boot the installation floppy disk, it doesn't display the blue IBM screen and restarts the computer. I have 1GB of single RAM slot installed.

What makes it reboot when loading the install disk? Thanks!

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: OS/2 Warp 3.0 install on Asus P5PE-VM, Pentium 4
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 04:32:54 pm »
Dying that quick is probably caused by your 1GB of ram, 64 MB's is all the original Warp 3 could handle IIRC. If you get by that, the kernel will likely fail due to too fast of a computer or not handling SSE etc and if you get by that, your HD is likely too big.
A fully updated Warp v3 might run on that computer if you installed it on an older one and moved it.
Even Warp v4 probably won't install without updated install disks. There are copies of Warp v4.5 (the convenience packs, preferably the 2nd one) floating around places like Winworld if you want to try that.

davidhs

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 05:15:47 pm »
Dying that quick is probably caused by your 1GB of ram, 64 MB's is all the original Warp 3 could handle IIRC. If you get by that, the kernel will likely fail due to too fast of a computer or not handling SSE etc and if you get by that, your HD is likely too big.
A fully updated Warp v3 might run on that computer if you installed it on an older one and moved it.
Even Warp v4 probably won't install without updated install disks. There are copies of Warp v4.5 (the convenience packs, preferably the 2nd one) floating around places like Winworld if you want to try that.

Hi, thanks for your advice!

Anyway, I also tried with another motherboard with the same RAM, but different CPU slot (socket 478 Pentium 4), it goes to the install setup successfully, but I haven't done more with that. The chipset is also the same as this one, but without integrated graphics. It is an ACER S82MA OEM board.

I'm currently ordering a 512MB RAM on the way for further testing, I also might try to swap the CPU with another one if maybe that will work.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 05:38:15 pm »
That's a good sign. You will need to update the install disks to handle larger hard drives. It's not that hard, replacing a couple of files and maybe removing a SCSI driver to make room basically.
Thinking about it, I'd guess most of the memory would just not be seen, but not sure.
OS/2 used to be legendary for needing good hardware to install on, often also needing tricks like turning off the memory cache during install.
Most of the last work IBM did on the kernel was to make it install on Pentium 4's and newer consistently.
Anyways, keep us posted how it goes and ask when you need to update the install disks.
A good, but outdated URL is http://web.archive.org/web/20060926010038/http://www.warpupdates.mynetcologne.de/english/inst_diskettes.html lots of broken links but file names to start Googling.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 11:41:31 pm »
Hi

FYI: I also tried to maintain a list of the updated OS/2 installation diskettes here:
https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/OS/2_Updated/Modified_Installation_Diskettes

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 08:36:01 am »
Do yourself a favor and use Warp 4 instead of Warp 3. Warp 3 is just too outdated, for example, the Warp 3 kernel does not come with KEE. Even the latest Warp 3 update kernels do not come with KEE.
But KEE is needed for many new device drivers like, for example, my USB driver stack but also a whole lot of other drivers.
In that respect Warp 4 is better but even for Warp 4, you will need to install the latest service paks and update kernels to get it to do something useful.

davidhs

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 04:05:08 pm »
Hi, sorry for the long update.

So I have tried using another board (Asrock 775i65PE) for booting the Installation Diskette using the same CPU, and it boots the disk, but it fails on loading the drivers on the next disk. I don't tinker with it because I don't use that board for my general usage.

I also tried using lower RAM (512MB) in this board and it still fails to boot the Installation Diskette.

Anyway, I'm still curious on why it fails to boot the Installation Diskette, is there any way to debug the process? Maybe if there's nothing can be done, I might try to install it using a Virtual Machine, and then clone it to the drive.

Installing OS/2 Warp 4.0 might be the last one to do if all above else fails haha