Author Topic: Arca 5.0.6 - lost status bar!  (Read 6171 times)

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
Arca 5.0.6 - lost status bar!
« on: January 19, 2021, 08:55:37 pm »
I must have screwed something up, I've lost my status bar. Clicking on "View" shows menu bar active, but status bar is greyed out!  Shared Directories still works but no updated menu bar with File,Machine,View,Input,Devices & help enteries. This is running ArcaOS 5.0.6 as a virtual machine.
Anybody got any ideas as to how to restore a status bar?

Thanks  klipp

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Arca 5.0.6 - lost status bar!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 11:33:33 pm »
Hi klipp

As far as I know the "Status Bar" is a XWorkplace feature. In you case I would go to "XWorkplace Setup" and disable "Status Bar" and reactivate it to see what happens.... but, in ArcaOS we have the XWorkplace lite installed, and the "XWorkplace Setup" icon is not available.

I would say, "Install the full XWorkplace" over the "XWorkplace lite", but I have this issue that ArcaOS 5.0.6 has XWorkplace Lite version 1.0.13.1 installed and the latest full version installer we have is 1.0.13.0. So, I guess I can not recommend that.

"XWorkplace Setup"  is the XWPSetup class in XWorkplace, maybe someone will have a better idea on how to register that class, or have some different solution.  I also miss the "OS/2 Kernel" icon, it was very useful to me to see if I have things duplicated in my LIBPATH.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 03:40:45 am »
Status Bar settings are in System Setup-> Workplace Shell-> Status Bars.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 07:10:33 pm »
You are right Doug, it seems I'm more used to the full XWorkplace.

klipp, can you give it a try to turn off and on the status bar on "System Setup-> Workplace Shell-> Status Bars." ?
Or maybe turning it off, restart and turn it on again?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 09:47:07 pm »
Hi Marten, Thanks for the reply, unfortunatly that seems to only affect the ststus bar on windows, I need to restore the extra one installed by Arca 5.0.6 on the bottom and top of the desktop, the one on the top of the desktop should list the options "File Machine View Input Devices Help" rather than "Folder Edit View selected help" and the one at the bottom of the desktop should list all the normal options. I'm doing a lousey job of describing this, I hope it makes some sense to you. I probably need to re-install the virtual install of 5.0.6. I looks like Virtual Box Guest Additions got de-installed!

Thanks  klipp
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 10:13:40 pm by R.M. Klippstein »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 10:46:45 pm »
Each folder (the Drives folder, for example) has it's own Status Bar setting. Properties-> Menu-> page 2 near the bottom, but I don't think that is what you are talking about.

A picture might help us understand what you are looking for.

AH!, Going back to the first message:
Clicking on "View" shows menu bar active, but status bar is greyed out!

Quite true. It is greyed out on my system too, for the desktop (probably for a good reason). Other folders seem to have that enabled, and it does show/hide the individual folder status bar. The menu Bar is at the top, and probably shouldn't be allowed on the desktop either. I need to see what the experts have to say about that.

I looks like Virtual Box Guest Additions got de-installed!

That is in E:\CID\SERVER\ARCAPKG\VBOXADD.WPI (E: is the DVD drive). Just install it again.

Be sure that you have Desktop-> Properties-> XShutdown Shutdown DELAY checked on. Sometimes, (even on real hardware) the shutdown pulls the plug, before everything is saved to disk.

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 12:21:04 am »
Well Doug, I did the VBOXADD.wpi  and made sure Shutdown Delay was checked but now C:\OS"ADDITIONS is aparently gone and can't get a usable mouse when I get finally booted up. Guess I'll do a new install and recreate everything. I've got a working virtual install on drive d: with everything copied to a shared file in Linux, so a complete re-do of C: will just be a small pita! One other problem with these Virtual installs of ArcaOS is with CD/DVD  usag, I've had to plug in a USB CD drive to use drive T:, S: Iguess is used by VBox Guest addtions.
Thanks for the help, I've used up enough of your valueable time, I'll re- istall drive C:

klipp
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 12:41:00 am by R.M. Klippstein »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 03:04:03 am »
Thanks for the help, I've used up enough of your valueable time, I'll re- istall drive C:

Be sure to review the Arca Noae Wiki about  using VBox, at: https://www.arcanoae.com/wiki/arcaos/installation-planning/virtual-machine-configuration/oracle-vm-virtualbox/. There is a LOT of good information there. If your version of VBox doesn't quite match what is written, it is still a very good guide. Just use your best judgement about anything that doesn't quite match.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 07:04:57 pm »

Clicking on "View" shows menu bar active, but status bar is greyed out!

Quite true. It is greyed out on my system too, for the desktop (probably for a good reason). Other folders seem to have that enabled, and it does show/hide the individual folder status bar. The menu Bar is at the top, and probably shouldn't be allowed on the desktop either. I need to see what the experts have to say about that.

Apparently, the Menu Bar is something that IBM did. The Status Bar is part of XWP. Two different designs, so two different settings. The Status Bar does not apply to the desktop. It should be available in other folders, if it is enabled globally, and each folder can have it enabled, or disabled.

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 10:03:49 pm »
Thanks Doug, Good advice reguarding VBox.

klipp

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2021, 10:47:24 pm »
Hi klipp,
I've had to plug in a USB CD drive to use drive T:, S: Iguess is used by VBox Guest addtions.

Actually once you have installed the Guest Additions you can eject the ISO from the CD/DVD drive so you can use it with another ISO file.