Author Topic: How to install Firefox  (Read 10912 times)

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
How to install Firefox
« on: November 16, 2020, 02:19:09 am »
Is there a web page that explains how to install Firefox on ArcaOS? I know someone who would like to install it, but needs something fairly user-friendly.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: How to install Firefox
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 05:14:01 am »
Which version of Arca Noae? I assume one that shipped with FF38ESR. Just unzip 45.9ESR into its own directory and use ANPM to update everything and install Hunspell and optionally the FFmpeg libs and create a program object for it.
Ideally mark the Firefox DLLs high and install ffturbo including creating a program object that has cmd.exe as the program, /c detach path\to\ffturbo -l -p in the parameters and the working directory pointing to where ffturbo is installed.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 03:39:21 pm »
Hi Neil

Maybe you can recycle something from this article: https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_Install_Firefox_on_Warp_4.52

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 03:42:07 pm »
Which version of Arca Noae? I assume one that shipped with FF38ESR. Just unzip 45.9ESR into its own directory and use ANPM to update everything and install Hunspell and optionally the FFmpeg libs and create a program object for it.
Ideally mark the Firefox DLLs high and install ffturbo including creating a program object that has cmd.exe as the program, /c detach path\to\ffturbo -l -p in the parameters and the working directory pointing to where ffturbo is installed.

Is 45.9ESR hosted someplace? I can put your instructions on a webpage and host the Firefox binary if no one else has done it.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 03:47:26 pm »
Here it is:
https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/releases/tag/FIREFOX_45_9_0esr_RELEASE_OS2_GA2
It contains the download links. But you are all on your own. Need to unzip the .7z and copy the files to the proper directories.
But that page also contains a description of what to do.
Really this should all be wrapped up in either a WPI or a ZIP, including some install command file.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 03:51:54 pm by Lars »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 04:38:29 pm »
I've updated the latest builds to Hobbes, currently in incoming, as I can't seem to upload to Bitbucket anymore, between crappy internet and getting a "have to solve the captcha" message, even on other platforms.
The builds on Hobbes are built with GCC 9.9.2 and had some memory related changes to compile and be stable. I find them stable.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 04:50:12 pm »
I thought there was a Firefox RPM package out there...and if the person has the AOS subscription and/or access they were supposed to be able to just deploy in that fashion...no?

In fact I see it out there on the arcanoa-exp repo, see firefox-en_US.45.9.0-7, could that approach work?

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 05:49:42 pm »
Be careful with upgrading and  the profile location has moved. It wiped out my bookmarks.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2020, 06:36:05 pm »
Be careful with upgrading and  the profile location has moved. It wiped out my bookmarks.

Hasn't changed for 45.9. Newer Firefox now uses a different profile every time you upgrade. 45.9 will use %HOME% if %MOZILLA_HOME% is not set. Your old profile should still be there.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2020, 07:45:35 pm »
Yes that was the problem fortunately it was my test laptop. that you Dave.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2020, 01:30:59 am »
I thought there was a Firefox RPM package out there...and if the person has the AOS subscription and/or access they were supposed to be able to just deploy in that fashion...no?

In fact I see it out there on the arcanoa-exp repo, see firefox-en_US.45.9.0-7, could that approach work?

Yes, but I am not using ArcaOS and the RPM is "ArcaOS users only".

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2020, 02:23:00 am »
Hi Lars,

Yes, but I am not using ArcaOS and the RPM is "ArcaOS users only".

My comment was a response to Neil's original post, in which he stated:

...Is there a web page that explains how to install Firefox on ArcaOS?...

And so given that this install was to be done on ArcaOS I figured it would pretty much guarantee that the end-user in question would therefore have access to AN software releases. From an "ease of install" perspective you can't really get any better than RPM (if all goes right)!

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2020, 04:20:49 am »
Thanks for the idea about the Firefox RPM. I forgot about that. So I tried to find it. Unluckily, I tried this:

Where%u2019s the new Firefox?

We%u2019ve received a few inquiries regarding the availability of Firefox 45.9 ESR. Please note that we have not yet released Firefox 45 due to some final performance and stability issues which we are working hard to address. Please be patient, and we hope to have a release for general availability in the very near future.

I tried ANPM, but no Firefox there. There is firefox-highmem from bitwise.

The purpose of this utility is to load Firefox DLLs in the upper meomry arena.

I remember there was going to be a secure repository, but I can't remember where it is. In any case, there should be a way to install Firefox even for those without a subscription.

Thanks, Dave for uploading Firefox to Hobbes. This is the URL for the pentium M version in incoming, until it moves to a more conventional spot.

https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/incoming/firefox-45.9.0.en-US.os2-Pentium-m-9.9.2-08112020.zip

This zip file has the excellent readme file, so the thread is going well from my point of view. This Firefox build is also newer than the one in ArcaOS 5.0.6.

[Edit: changed URL to Pentium-M version] :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 03:45:20 pm by Neil Waldhauer »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2020, 05:32:04 am »
I'd strongly recommend using the Pentium M build unless installing on a Pentium II or III or Athlon prior to the Athlon64. The Pentium M is basically an i686 with MMX, SSE and SSE2 added and I've also optimized it more, using SSE for math functions and tuning for a Core2, which might help for multicore machines and shouldn't hurt.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2020, 03:07:42 pm »
ohhh Dave....

I'd strongly recommend using the Pentium M build unless installing on a Pentium II or III or Athlon prior to the Athlon64. The Pentium M is basically an i686 with MMX, SSE and SSE2 added and I've also optimized it more, using SSE for math functions and tuning for a Core2, which might help for multicore machines and shouldn't hurt.

Any chance you might do an updated build of my fave??? (Phenom II - '-march=amdfam10 -O2')  8)