Author Topic: Cloning OS2 with different Motherboard  (Read 6530 times)

Yoppytanesib01

Cloning OS2 with different Motherboard
« on: November 25, 2020, 10:26:42 am »
i have os2 with mo-bo fujitsu d2151 s21 gs1,
specification proccesor LGA 775 intel celeron and  512mb RAM

and i try to put hdd clone from fujitsu, in mo-bo gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2C
with specification, same processor LGA 775 celeron d, n using 2GB RAM

but i have problem, i cant enter os with message
https://we.tl/t-rqr8OQRVxR        WE TRANSFER URL

anybody can help me ?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 12:10:52 am by Martin Iturbide »

Yoppytanesib01

Re: Cloning OS2 with different Motherboard
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 10:30:31 am »
i'm using dfsee tools for clone hdd

'n im using virtual box to make sure that my hdd clone in good condition

Matt Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 04:48:45 pm »
Due to differences in MB you are probably going to have to do a reinstall from the original disks as some of the drivers are different.  I have been able to do such a clone and reboot, but to similar MB.  One other thing you could try is to take the original physical boot drive and put it into the new MB and see if it boots.  HTH
Matt W.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 04:52:42 pm »
Matt brought up an excellent point, I'm curious though: are you able to boot to just a CLI instead of bringing up the whole WPS?

I ask because a large part of the drivers today, such as ACPI, HDD stuff (Dani and/or AHCI), maybe even some NIC stuff (MMRE comes to mind) is fairly generic in a sense that it supports a wide range of hardware. There are, and always will be execeptions to this, but in general you should be OK to at least get to CLI.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 05:22:13 pm »
I've often moved hard drives to new motherboards/computers and the only problems are usually some device drivers not loading, giving a message during boot, such and such at line such can't be loaded, press enter to continue. Usually network related and fixable after booting. Sometimes lately the USB keyboard isn't initialized so pressing enter doesn't work, meaning press the red button and edit the config.sys using an alternate boot option such as the AOS USB stick.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 07:02:16 pm »
Due to differences in MB you are probably going to have to do a reinstall from the original disks as some of the drivers are different.  I have been able to do such a clone and reboot, but to similar MB.  One other thing you could try is to take the original physical boot drive and put it into the new MB and see if it boots.  HTH
Matt W.

I guess nobody recognized that crash screen. For me it looks familiar, I think. Its the bug in MCP 2 I think you are experiencing. Reduce the amount of memory on the maimnboard that crashes from 2 to 1 GB and see if it then boots... If if then works you need an updated DOSCALL1.DLL and OS2DLR.

Roderick

Roderick

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 09:01:05 pm »
TRAP 0005 - BOUND RANGE EXCEEDED: A Bound instruction exceeded the specified limits.

A bit of information taken from ConfigTool Database INF file that may, or may not apply
HOW TO use new Motherboards with more than 64MB Ram

Before using this advise try to get an updated bios for your motherboard or an newer OS/2 Kernel and test if this solves the problem. If not (and only then) follow these steps.

1. Get the patchldr.zip developed by Daniela Engert from hobbes, leo or somewhere else

2. Follow this description (from patchldr.zip)

From Warp 4 on, OS/2 uses the BIOS function Int15 [AX=E801] to get the size of installed memory. In the recent past some authority sentenced this function as 'not ACPI compliant' and made the BIOS manufacturers to remove this function. WinXX is not affected by that change because it uses BIOS function Int15 [EAX=0000E820] which was added later and which is considered 'ACPI compliant'.

You may run the DOS based utility MEMTEST from this package to determine if your BIOS exhibits the defect I described. Straight DOS is preferred, but it works in an OS/2 VDM sufficiently well. If BIOS function Int15 (E801) is reported as 'not supported', and you have more than 64 MeB of memory installed, the PatchLDR utility will solve the problem.

The utility patches OS2LDR so that the query for the size of installed memory no longer uses BIOS function Int15 [AX=E801] but Int15 [EAX=0000E820]. Due to space constraints I had to remove the memory detection routines for PS/2 machines. But, as these aren't affected by the recent BIOS changes, this is a non-issue.

This patch utility is supposed to work with all fixpacks of Warp 4, the later fixpacks of Warp 3 (including derivatives), and the current version of Warp Server for e-Business. It was able to patch all of my different Warp 3/4/SeB installations successfully. You may decide to run OS/2 with the patched OS2LDR even if you don't need it right now.

According to my own tests and a lot of user reports it solves the memory size defect found with all (?) of the Athlon boards and others as well. So I consider the patch as safe.

USAGE
1) move to the root of the boot partition.
2) enter the command 'ATTRIB -R -S -H OS2LDR'.
3) enter the command 'PatchLDR'.

If step 3 fails, an error message will be displayed. If it succeeds, the old OS2LDR is copied to OS2LDR.bak, and a new, patched OS2LDR is created.

4) enter the command 'ATTRIB +R +S +H OS2LDR'.

From the next reboot on, the new memory size detection code is in effect.

Please remember: after installing a fixpack the OS2LDR patch needs to be applied again because it will be replaced by a non-patched version from the fixpack. If the fixpack installer asks you if it should replace the patched version of OS2LDR with the one from the fixpack distribution, then reply 'YES'! Failing that may render OS/2 unbootable because OS2LDR and OS2KRNL need to match.

As Dave said, it should be possible to just move hard disks, modified with necessary drivers, from the old MB to the new MB (in fact that was the only way I could get my first Ryzen unit to work).  You don't say what version of OS/2 you want to move but there could be a problem if it isn't up to the latest fixpak level.

Yoppytanesib01

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 03:01:23 am »
i'm using os2 version 1.7.5

in my os 2, i'm having machine program has installed in it

so, i can't instal with new original os2, cause i dont have software machine and drivers in it

that's why, i choose to try clone my hdd .
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 03:13:23 am by yoppy tanesib »

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2020, 04:39:15 am »
This doesn't exist.

1) Open an OS/2 command prompt and type:
Code: [Select]
syslevel \os2\install > syslinst.log
2) Then open that file in a text editor, e.g. with:
e syslinst.log
3) Post the par with \os2\install\SYSLEVEL.OS2.

Yoppytanesib01

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2020, 05:56:05 am »
This doesn't exist.

1) Open an OS/2 command prompt and type:
syslevel \os2\install > syslinst.log
2) Then open that file in a text editor, e.g. with:
e syslinst.log
3) Post the par with \os2\install\SYSLEVEL.OS2.

thx for the guide i'm using os2 warp4

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 01:48:41 pm »
It's important to paste the complete paragraph.
E.g. my output is this:

\os2\install\SYSLEVEL.OS2
Convenience Package - OS/2 Warp 4 Base Operating System
Version 4.52     Component ID 5639A5550
Type 0C     
Current CSD level: XR0C008
Prior   CSD level: XR04503