Author Topic: Odd problem with USB 3 driver  (Read 5331 times)

ivan

• View Profile
Odd problem with USB 3 driver
« on: November 22, 2020, 11:39:35 pm »
Out of curiosity I am wondering if I am the only person seeing a problem with the USB 3 driver.

What I am seeing is sometimes the USB 3 driver just shuts down for no apparent reason.  By that I mean I lose the use of my keyboard and trackball and the only way out is to hit the reset button and suffer the inevitable chkdsk of the disks of the computer.

The last time it happened I was doing a chkdsk of a USB connected disk with several jfs partitions, it had completed one partition and was working on the next when I bumped the trackball and moved the pointer.  The chkdsk operation finished but I was unable to move the pointer or use the keyboard.

A previous instance was when I was scrolling through a long e-mail the trackball and keyboard stopped working but I was able to restart the computer because it had a USB 2 add in card and I was able to get back mouse action by plugging in the mouse from my notebook.

As an observation all actual computing operations continue, it is just the keyboard and trackball that stop working.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Odd problem with USB 3 driver
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 11:51:24 pm »
Hi Ivan

Can you please provide more information. ArcaOS version, USB driver version and mainboard brand and model. Maybe someone with similar mainboard can give their experience.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 12:20:04 am »
Out of curiosity I am wondering if I am the only person seeing a problem with the USB 3 driver.

As Martin mentioned, which USB 3 driver? I saw similar things with the first preview version, that was "unofficially" released (with zero support), but not with the "officially" released version.

The last time it happened I was doing a chkdsk of a USB connected disk with several jfs partitions, it had completed one partition and was working on the next when I bumped the trackball and moved the pointer.  The chkdsk operation finished but I was unable to move the pointer or use the keyboard.

In fact, that is more likely to be a problem with the mouse driver. Which one (and version) are you using?

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 12:51:50 am »
Yes. I'm seeing it too. Copy one large file to a marginal USB thumb drive and it's likely to occur. I have not fully worked out the test scenario, which I like to do before I submit a bug report.

I run VNC server so I can grab my phone and shut down the machine safely after the keyboard and mouse stop working.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 02:13:02 am »
 I have also seen this, but not a lot. I've a Logitech 'Unified receiver' for wireless mouse and keyboard. When it happens, I'm able to remove the receiver and wait ~15-20 seconds, then plug it back in and everything works again. No idea what may cause it since it is not common...

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 03:54:03 am »
To answer Martin's questions.

Motherboards vary from 1) MSI B350M Pro-VD Plus with Ryzen 3 2200G and 8GB DDR4 memory (main machine on 24/7) plus a second one as a test machine.
2) ASRock B450M PRO 4 with Ryzen 3 3200G (2nd gen processor) and 8GB DDR4 memory (machine upstairs to stop me running up and dow the stairs)

All machines have the latest ArcaOS 5.0.6 installed (no updates at the moment).

Doug, the USB disk was the one that prompted the first post, other times have been downloading files fron one of my NAS boxes, saving a large file to local disk and a few others I can't remember.

Neil, so far I am unable to say what triggers it.  I can do the same thing any number of times but one will trigger it.
BTW what are you using on your phone that lets you shut down the computer (I have VNC server on the main box to connect to my Linux boxes)

David, Your solution might give a clue as to what is happening and something like that would work on my upstairs box but not on the main one in the office (too much crawling about on the floor under the desk).

To All,  it is nice to know there are others seeing the same problem - maybe we can work out if it is a timing problem or something else.  The fact the computer continues working and only the keyboard and mouse/trackball seem to be effected (the USB 3 mounted disk finished the chkdsk without problems even though the USB 3 mounted kb/tb shut down).

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 08:11:08 am »
I would think that all this is a "stalled pipe" error that is not properly handled.
A device reports any problem with a "stalled pipe". The problems are numerous: a transfer error, wrong message structure, a command is unknown or not acceptable.
If a stalled pipe is not properly cleared and the operation properly resumed then the device will simply refuse to work.
I have a USB mouse that ALWAYS reports a stalled pipe on a specific command that is listed in the HID spec as being a valid command but the device seemingly makes no use of it and instead of ignoring it, reports a stalled pipe.
I am not using the AN USB stack and therefore do not know if I'd run into the same prob but I guess I would.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 06:03:18 am »

Neil, so far I am unable to say what triggers it.  I can do the same thing any number of times but one will trigger it.
BTW what are you using on your phone that lets you shut down the computer (I have VNC server on the main box to connect to my Linux boxes)

I use RealVNC. I'm on iOS, but I think they have Android, too. Is running VNC on the main server a security risk?
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 06:41:13 am »
I use RealVNC. I'm on iOS, but I think they have Android, too. Is running VNC on the main server a security risk?

Not if you configure it correctly, i.e. only one port open and a strong password.