Author Topic: [Resolved] No sound in web browsers on VM (eCS 2.1)  (Read 5134 times)

Luey123

[Resolved] No sound in web browsers on VM (eCS 2.1)
« on: November 25, 2020, 09:54:03 am »
I got some sound problem with my VM for eCS 2.1 and Warp 4.52.
I don’t know if it is a particular VirtualBox problem or problem with those OS in general.

I was able to successfully install ANPR (on Warp 4.52 also deal with “drive D: not ready” error) and update the systems.

On both install Firefox 45, SeaMonkey and VLC (all newest versions, update dll’s)

First I acknowledge this problem on eCS 2.1. I install it with Uniaud and AC’97 as sound device.
System sounds, mp3 in PM123 works normally. But there was no sound from web browsers and VLC. I try with UniMixer and also download and install newest Uniaud from eCSoft2.org. But still there was no sound from VLC and browsers.
So I change sound device in VM to SB16 and install drivers for it. Now there is sound on VLC but it sill is missing on browsers. But when stream url form YouTube in VLC sound plays normal.

Same is on Warp 4.52 (there I install it with SB16 in the first place) no sound in browsers but streams and mp3 plays normal on VLC.

So I am wonder if this is some problem with using those in VirtualBox or this is general problem even on real hardware.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 12:14:33 am by Martin Iturbide »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: No sound in web browsers on VM (eCS 2.1)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 04:16:08 pm »
Try adding
Code: [Select]
SET KAI_AUTOMODE=DART
To your config.sys and rebooting

Luey123

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 05:42:29 pm »
It works! There are some sound glitches and stuttering but mayby because it run on VirtualBox.

Thank you  :)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 06:01:08 pm »
Good to hear. Yes, the sound glitches are likely due to your VirtualBox setup. You might want to review https://www.arcanoae.com/wiki/arcaos/installation-planning/virtual-machine-configuration/oracle-vm-virtualbox/, it's for AOS but most of it likely counts for eCS and even Warp 4.52

Luey123

Re: [Resolved] No sound in web browsers on VM (eCS 2.1)
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 05:16:34 pm »
Also if this would be helpful for anyone:

I delete VLSub file from Extensions folder. It offten crush and kill VLC.

Also VLC crush and basicly pulled down whole system if I push "stop" button. But after disselect "shadow buffer" on Panorama screen setup it now acting normal after pushing "stop".

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 05:53:24 pm »
You shouldn't be using Panorama in VirtualBox, but rather the Gradd driver included with the OS/2 additions.

Matt Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 06:54:20 pm »
Thanks Miezko for the tip to fix my VLC\2 from crashing at the end of every mp4 video.  It locked up the whole computer and needed a reboot.  Now it works great.   Thanks again.
Matt W

Luey123

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 08:49:00 am »
You shouldn't be using Panorama in VirtualBox, but rather the Gradd driver included with the OS/2 additions.

Another great tip! I will correct this!