OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Storage

FAT32 - Netlabs or AN?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Rich Walsh:
The current Netlabs version is an outstanding example of undisciplined design.

What started out as a FAT32 driver morphed into an exFAT/FAT12/FAT16-and oh yeah-FAT32 driver with no appreciable improvements in speed or code quality. Then it went off into outer space with the ability to mount disk images from various VMs, and finally, a Unix-style loop adapter that requires a new BASEDEV.

What does a BASEDEV that mounts disk images as drives have to do with a FAT32 filesystem driver?

I'd love to have a loop adapter to mount images, and I wouldn't mind downloading an exFAT driver from a jurisdiction that doesn't recognize s/w patents - and I could accept less than sterling software quality if they were packaged separately. But when it comes to saving my data in a format that has become a must-have (i.e. FAT32), I want something reliable, not "feature-rich". For that, I use AN's version.

Martin Iturbide:

--- Quote from: Rich Walsh on November 28, 2020, 10:22:49 am ---The current Netlabs version is an outstanding example of undisciplined design.

--- End quote ---

Sometimes the issue is that we have, what we have. I would love for the community to have the resources to create software with features, reliability, code quality, new standards and great discipline. But sometimes we have to settle with "it works or not".

If there will developers willing to create the greatest FAT32 driver with exFAT support with the best practices I would love it, but I think there is a priority for different drivers first, or even to improve the GUI with more modern concepts in mind.

Regards

Lars:
The BASEDEV is a separate sub package in the WPI. You don't have to install it and in fact, I did not.
I was not too happy with the feature overload either but it's difficult to complain if it is for free :-)

Heikki Kekki:

--- Quote from: Doug Bissett on November 27, 2020, 11:48:45 pm ---Today, I use my cell phone as a camera. It takes better pictures than my old HP digital camera ever did (and that was better than my old Nikon  film cameras). I got a short adapter cable, so I could plug a USB stick into it (formatted FAT32), and copy things to that, then to my computer. At one time, I did get the phone to transfer directly, probably using Cameraderie, but that was more difficult than using the USB stick.

--- End quote ---

I transfer pictures from my Android phone to my desktop computer using Samba share. I used Asus File Manager before because it was installed on my Sony Xperia phone when transferring data from an Asus Phablet. I currently use File Manager Plus. It's better, faster, and you can browse photos, for example, just like on your phone's Album.

Neil Waldhauer:
I was transferring photos from my iPhone using FileBrowser and a Samba share on my OS/2 computer, but I now use iCloud running in the Firefox 45 browser to download the photos.

In theory, I should be able to configure Dropbox to make the photos available on the OS/2 desktop as drive through the NetDrive Dropbox plug-in, but it's a lot of configuring, and iCloud works well enough.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version