Author Topic: LSI0006 Not enough disk space to process locked files  (Read 5196 times)

Bennie Nelson

• View Profile
LSI0006 Not enough disk space to process locked files
« on: November 28, 2020, 09:26:33 pm »
I noticed the LSI0006 message during system start ups when Locked files needed to be processed. This is on a freshly installed copy of Arca 5.0.6 on a JFS 16 GB partition with  almost 12 GB free.

Does anyone have any idea why the message is showing up?

Thanks,
Bennie
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 01:34:18 am by Martin Iturbide »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: LSI0006 Not enough disk space to proess locked files
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 01:15:16 am »
You should open an issue for that as it shouldn't happen. Help 0006 reports Incorrect internal file identifier, but not sure if that maps to the Locked File processor.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 01:31:28 am »
Hi Bennie

I never hear of that issue, I also looked on the internet for similar errors.

I found: (Reference)

14. PROBLEM / QUESTION

I'm getting error LSI0006 during reboot after DB2/2
                          installation

SOLUTION / ANSWER

The IBMLANLK program did not working properly (see
                          the first Q and A in this section).

Add DEVICE=C:\OS2\INSTALL\IBMLANLK.SYS
                          C:\OS2\INSTALL\ IBMLANLK.LST

RUN=C:\OS2\INSTALL\IBMLANLK.EXE
                          C:\OS2\INSTALL\IBMLANLK.LST

Other reference with no answer:
http://www.scoug.com/lists/help/2004/Sep/Msgs/l2w26410.html

Some other sorted that issue by moving HPFS.IFS on the config.sys.
http://www.verycomputer.com/3_f0b60fa70af92df9_1.htm

I hope it can give you some hints, please post back.

If you open a ticket on ArcaOS, remember:
- Reporting Problems – Best Practices

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: LSI0006 Not enough disk space to process locked files
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 02:00:40 am »
Yea, the order of drivers, especially the IFS's can be important. Thing is on a fresh install, these should be correct.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 04:37:42 pm »
You should open an issue for that as it shouldn't happen. Help 0006 reports Incorrect internal file identifier, but not sure if that maps to the Locked File processor.

Hi David,
it's not "help sys0006" but rather "help lsi0006" (the error text is in \OS2\INSTALL\LSI.MSG, the help text is in \OS2\INSTALL\LSIH.MSG):

[c:\]help lsi0006

LSI0006: There is not enough disk space available to process locked files.

Cause:   The LAN Services locked-file device driver is unable to
         continue because there is not enough hard-disk space on this
         workstation.

Action:  Make hard-disk space available on this workstation by moving or
         deleting files, and then start the workstation again.

Of course, for the given system, that error is plain nonsense. It's more likely that either the IBMLANLK.SYS driver cannot access all of the disk space at the point of time in the boot process.
Or, the files and directory listed in the IBMLANLK.LST file no longer exist or exist at a different directory or maybe file C:\OS2\INSTALL\IBMLANLK.LST no longer exists.
It will likely help to remove these statements from config.sys wherever they appear in config.sys (replace C: with the drive letter of the boot drive):
DEVICE=C:\OS2\INSTALL\IBMLANLK.SYS C:\OS2\INSTALL\ IBMLANLK.LST
RUN=C:\OS2\INSTALL\IBMLANLK.EXE C:\OS2\INSTALL\IBMLANLK.LST

I occasionally had that same problem in the past. The contents of file IBMLANLK.LST (if it still exists) gives enough of a clue to know what to copy where and what directoriest to delete, so it can also be done by hand. Fortunately, nowadays, there are close to no products that still use the Locked Files device driver as with later kernel versions an API was introduced to unlock DLLs by a normal user application at any time (you no longer have to wait until next system reboot). WPI makes use of that API for every DLL it needs to overwrite, as does the YUM/RPM installation mechanism.
The one problem that remains is help files that are currently loaded by an application. You need to stop the application that loaded the help file before that help file can be deleted or overwritten.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 04:54:59 pm by Lars »

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 04:45:44 pm »
It might help if the install/boot partition was a lot smaller.  You shouldn't need more that 2 GB as the OS install partition with another partition for everything else - there is no need to do it the windows way with OS/2. 
My boot partition is 2 GB and has 1.3 GB free, Programs and tools are on another partition which makes it easy to update everything.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 04:49:46 pm »
I seem to remember that sometimes, the locked files device driver IBMLANK.SYS (and the associated helper application IBMLANLK.EXE) fail in removing themselves from config.sys.
Then, they continue to bug you even though they already did what they had to do. IBMLANLK.LST will be the clue if that happened.

Bennie Nelson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 05:07:05 pm »
Lars,

Thanks for explanation regarding the LANMAN error. My system configuration includes SAMBA connectivity with shares from other machines running WIN XP, Win 7, and CentOS 7. Not surprisingly, I have always had to deal with flaky behavior. :)

Bennie

Bennie Nelson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 05:20:53 pm »
It might help if the install/boot partition was a lot smaller.  You shouldn't need more that 2 GB as the OS install partition with another partition for everything else - there is no need to do it the windows way with OS/2. 
My boot partition is 2 GB and has 1.3 GB free, Programs and tools are on another partition which makes it easy to update everything.

Prior to JFS support for the boot partition, I would set up three partitions: 1) OS; 2) Apps; and 3) Data. When the boot partition could be formatted JFS, I dropped that to 2 partitions: OS and Apps/Data; or OS/Apps and Data. With VM's, I've become lazy and I only use 1. For recovery, the data is backed up daily to a server, while the VM is exported as an appliance from time to time. Recovery is simple: import the appliance, and reload the data. It's also easy to migrate to a new version of the OS: build a new VM and restore the data.

I've been wondering if I should return to the second variant of my second methodology, and use two partitions on two VDIs: OS/Apps and Data. The Data virtual disk can be moved from VM to VM.

Bennie